Gibson Brands Forums

2004 Sheraton II Neck Question?

JStone

Hello All - I am brand new to this forum, but I have been reading through it over the last week.

Great stuff! I'm glad to see there is such an active epi community. Thanks to all for the great posts and pics.

I have decided that I want to purchase a Sheraton II, but I'm still a bit confused on which one to get. I am not totally opposed to purchasing a new China mand Sherri, but there are quite a few used being sold near me and on the internet.

My main question is - Does the 2004 Samick Korean made Sheraton's have the 5 layer necks or not? I know from reading on the forum that much earlier Samicks did, but it wasn't clear to me if the later ones were made that way. I believe the current new China made guitar necks are like that.

The one I'm looking at the most I am told has a (model number??) S0412210962 and that it was made in December 2004.

Any advice? Is it worth it to buy a used one like stated above that's in great condition or does it really matter?

Thanks for any input.

Hi,

You should be able to pick up a sheraton 2 of Korean origin used for a good price and they are better built and finished than the new chinese ones, with much better woods for the natural and vintage sunbust/tabacco burst finishes. As far as I'm aware any serial numbers begining with S, SN, or U will be from Korean factories and all should have the 5 piece neck as identified by the picture strumbone posted (unless you are interested in a black or white one which you may not be able to see?).

Simply get the serial number from the one you're interested in and enter it into www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx and it will tell you where and when your Epi was made.

Nigel.

My main question is - Does the 2004 Samick Korean made Sheraton's have the 5 layer necks or not? I know from reading on the forum that much earlier Samicks did' date=' but it wasn't clear to me if the later ones were made that way. I believe the current new China made guitar necks are like that.

The one I'm looking at the most I am told has a (model number??) S0412210962 and that it was made in December 2004.[/quote']

I have an '03 made in Saein that looks to be 5 pieces:

sherry_2003_007.jpg

I had an '05 made in Saein (they must have made lefties in that plant) that was 5 pieces too, so I' would think an '04 would be 5 easy pieces.

Welcome and good luck, Sherry's are great guitars and grossly under rated IMO.

Archived