Gibson Brands Forums

what's the difference between an acoustic and an electric amp?

I've never owned an electric guitar, but I do have a Hummingbird that came with a pick-up installed by the guy I bought it off. I've decided I am just about good enough to go to open mic nights and coffee houses etc but don't know the first thing about amps, so do i have to buy an acoustic amp for it to sound right? What excatly is the difference?

Hey, meanstreak ... this is a greta question! Here's a quote which I think pretty much sums up the differences between the two types of amps:

"The main difference between an acoustic amplifier and an electric amplifier is the voicing of the speaker. An electric amplifier has a tighter, a tighter mid range, where an acoustic speaker is more like something you have at home stereo because it has to cover a broad spectrum of frequencies. Which an Acoustic Guitar has. One thing that usually always comes with an acoustic amp, is what they call an XLR input or a microphone input. So a lot of acoustic amps can be a dual purpose for acoustic electric instrument as well as being able to run a microphone through it."

I would agree with just about everything the author said here. The main thing to remember is that with an electric guitar ... particularly a solid-body model ... the sound is essentially the product of the pickups, amp and whatever effects are being used. With an acoustic, the sound is much more a product of the instrument itself and requires an amp that will faithfully reproduce this sound with no unwanted effects from the amp, othet than to make this sound louder.

Hope this helps ... we'll see what the other members have to add ...

Jim

it's not just the speaker that makes an acoustic amp...

The whole acoustic amp is flatter response to the sound so you colour your sound with the tone knobs, pedal's and effects.

A tube amp a lot of sound colouring comes from the tubes and the way they're setup and the compression of sound via the tubes (not just a diode clipping the signal for distortion)

Archived