Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 or Les Paul? or other??

jbongi13

[cool] I really dont know what guitar to choose.

I want either a les paul or a g-400, but dont know which suits me more.

I am really into green day and alternative, and im planning on being the lead guitarist in a band in a while. Im between intermediate and beginner, but closer to intermediate guitar player. Which suits me more? i have about 600$. also, which g-400 color looks coolest???

[cool] I really dont know what guitar to choose.

I want either a les paul or a g-400' date=' but dont know which suits me more.

I am really into green day and alternative, and im planning on being the lead guitarist in a band in a while. Im between intermediate and beginner, but closer to intermediate guitar player. Which suits me more? i have about 600$. also, which g-400 color looks coolest???[/quote']

You'll have to decide that. It's up to you. I like the Les Paul better, that's just my opinion. Go to a Guitar Center or other store and try a bunch out. See what you like...

This is just my opinion and only you can decide what will work best for you. The descriptive terms I use are inadequate but will attempt to give you at least a sense of what these instruments are about.

The SG is lighter, slightly more versatile in the rock/blues genres, almost utilitarian. It's sound tends to be more aggressive than that of an LP, a bit "hairier" if you will but is very capable of smooth, well balanced sounds as well. Harmonically rich yet tends more to the brighter or trebly end of the spectrum but is no slouch when big bottom sounds are required. The SG has an overall ill-defined, fuzzy or unfocused range as if leaving the door open for more tonal possibilities, surprises in the nooks and crannies. This encourages experimentation not only in expanding your playing skills but in the physical components of the guitar itself. It's a great platform for experimenting with different pickups and wiring schemes.

The Les Paul is deeper, richer in every respect when it comes to tone. The word "big" comes to mind. It's a well seasoned, well-crafted, very organic sound. It's rich and balanced harmonic tones give it a sweet yet authoritative voice in it's range which is well defined or focused It is very versatile and therefore suitable for most any genre of music. The Les Paul is about as good as it gets in solid body guitars. You may wish to change pickups but beyond that you'll find little to change.

Both the SG and LP demand that you take the time to fully explore their capabilities because they offer so much. The time spent trying them out in music stores is barely even a brief introduction but hopefully enough to give you a sense of their character and perhaps of the possibilities in each instrument. Both will inspire you to expand your musical horizons, raise your skill level and to strive for your best performances as few other guitars can.

The Epiphone versions of these guitars are indeed worthy contenders. The Epi Les Paul is absolutely astounding in this regard and therefore represents an incredible value. Minor hardware or electronic upgrades may be needed but you definitely have "good bones" to build on.

I purchased a Gibson '61 reissue in the late 90's because I was fortunate enough to have at one time own an original which I regretfully was forced to sell. Anyway the reissue I had hoped would fill that empty space. Instead it was an anemic imitation and almost a mockery of the original. I was ultimately disappointed with it and sold it off. The few Epiphone SG models that I've tried are actually a more faithful reproduction and more worthy of the SG heritage than the Gibson reissue. They do require an upgrade of ALL the electronic components and I do wish they could use a Gibson-sized headstock as the larger Epi headstock tends to trim a bit of the "hairiness" of the early Gibsons. despite these shortcomings the G 400 in particular is definitely a good value. If you're skilled in wood finishes the faded models can be an even better value.

I currently own the SG special. It has a bolt on neck and is an all black finish with no pickguard. this is the cheapest Epi SG available as far as I know. I bought it when I bought the Epi LP in my avatar. I just can't get over how good this thing sounds. Maybe I just got lucky and found a really good one, I don't know. All I can say is that it sounds good and rocks like it should. I will be buying a G400 when I get around to it but I'm in no hurry at the moment. I kinda keep hoping Epiphone will bring back the Les Paul Double Cutaway as a faithful reproduction of the original Gibsons. And in case they're looking I want it in a blood red finish with humbucker pickups. If they do a TV yellow I want it faithful to the original TV yellow used by Gibson rather than that yellow paint Epiphone used on their last attempts. If Epiphone needs a consultant I'm available. [cool]

Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I suggest you first choose between Les Paul and SG.

Both have same pickups, same controls, same switching. Both are mahogany, set neck construction. The SG tends to sound a bit brighter because of the thinner body. There isn't a lot in it sound-wise. Certainly the G400 I had sustained as well as any LP.

Main difference is in the ergonomics. The SG is lighter and thinner. Some people find that makes it more comfortable. Most people consider that it's easier to get at the upper frets for soloing; it depends how big your hands are. SGs are not as well balanced as LPs, feeling very slightly neck-heavy. Again, that bothers some people more than others.

If you're one of the people who prefers the weight and bulk of an LP, and is ok with the upper fret access, the LP Studio has all the tone and functionality of the Standards and Customs, without the binding etc. Depending on the year/place of manufacture, some Studios have trapezoid fret inlays, some just have the pearl dots.

As important to "your sound" as the guitar is........a GOOD amp is even more important.

A GREAT guitar played thru a crappy amp, will sound like.........crap.

A mediocre guitar played thru a great amp, will sound at least VERY good, possibly great.

as for the best g400 finish.............my personal fave is:

GarysCam047.jpg

but it's discontinued.........you can still find them used.

I'm gonna be a bastard now and point out the Explorer (and not just because it's my favorite guitar in the universe!)

While fairly large, it seems to strike a cozy middle ground between the Les Paul and SG tones; with the bridge pickup and tone on full you can get some truly scathing tones, and switching to the neck p'up calls forth a delicious, gooey rhythm tone with 99% of the balls of the Les Paul behind it. It's also extremely comfortable to play either sitting or standing thanks to the unconventional body shape.

Out of the LP and SG, I personally find that the SG feels like a toy, but then again I am a giant, and the Lester feels like a real instrument. 100% subjective though. The LP Standard and G-400 are pretty much equal in fit and finish.

The moral of the story? Go to a guitar shop and try as many guitars out as you can. You'll know when you find the right one.

ok thanks guys.... im gonna go with the les paul studio! now, do u guys have any suggestions for the color??? its between arctic blue, alpine white, or black.... what do u guys like best? and is arctic blue really as dark as they show in the picture for it?

I'm gonna be a bastard now and point out the Explorer (and not just because it's my favorite guitar in the universe!)

While fairly large' date=' it seems to strike a cozy middle ground between the Les Paul and SG tones; with the bridge pickup and tone on full you can get some truly scathing tones, and switching to the neck p'up calls forth a delicious, gooey rhythm tone with 99% of the balls of the Les Paul behind it. It's also extremely comfortable to play either sitting or standing thanks to the [i']unconventional[/i] body shape.

Out of the LP and SG, I personally find that the SG feels like a toy, but then again I am a giant, and the Lester feels like a real instrument. 100% subjective though. The LP Standard and G-400 are pretty much equal in fit and finish.

The moral of the story? Go to a guitar shop and try as many guitars out as you can. You'll know when you find the right one.

EEEEK! I don't like the Explorer's looks, but I've seen it and the Firebird models played well. I just find those two models a bit too radical.

ok thanks guys.... im gonna go with the les paul studio! now' date=' do u guys have any suggestions for the color??? its between arctic blue, alpine white, or black.... what do u guys like best? and is arctic blue really as dark as they show in the picture for it?[/quote']

Arctic Blue!! (See signature) Black and white are so overdone!

Sheila

Mine: Pics taken outdoors on a sunny day. Color looks like this in the sun. Just a bit darker indoors.

picture088i.jpg

picture057yz.jpg

ok thanks guys... as you can tell im horrible at making decisions... i was going to get arctic blue, but the guitar that i had before this was already blue, and almost the same exact color as the arctic blue.... i want the white, but the only problem with them is this:

a. it may look too much like a guitar hero controller?

b. i dont know if it will look good onstage? as im considering joining a punk bank and may join the jazz band in high school (does this make sense?)

so, i suck at making decisions and just need help with the color now.... haha give me like full review of the colors, what one looks best, how they look onstage (i think billie joe armstrong uses a custom les paul), anything that will help me in choosing a color... thanksss

Hey, Matt!! We need to teach this boy that there is no such thing as 'too many blue guitars'!

Color is selective - but keep in mind - a guitar will only look as good as the condition you keep it in. White will show everything up close and at a distance - black will show everything up close and as mentioned above - fingerprints!!

Spot lights will effect "look" on stage, and for the jazz band - any color will do.

Good luck!

PS - Still pushing the Arctic Blue! It's a gorgeous look!

Sheila

Sheila' date=' the blue LP is nice, but I REALLY like the one you have as your avatar! Got any other photos of it?[/quote']

Thanks! It's the Agile Al-2000 in Tiger Eye

I have better pics on my camera, but 'not me' has walked off with the cable to the computer, so I can't upload.

Here's one with my son playing it, and another solo shot.

tigereye12252009006.jpg

tigereye12252009008.jpg

hey guys, i went down to guitar center today and finally saw the one i wanted. I got a black custom epiphone studio. It was in perfect condition and had the pickups of a standard. I really like the color and got it on discount for 427$ [biggrin] great deal, great salesman. He told me everything there was to know about it and i knew that i wanted it. Oh and i took that person's advice of choosing the color that suited me best. Thanks man, cause most people said not to get black, but i ended up lovin it

Archived