Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Tribute 2010 Fadded Cherry Sunburst First Impressions

ISirius42

I received my LP Tribute 2010 wanted to share my initial impressions to those who might be thinking about getting one. There is another thread about the very similar model, the 1960s tribute, at http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13777. Some nice pictures of the black finish version of the guitar and good discussion there. Since mine is 2010, I decided to start another thread here for those who are (like me a few weeks ago) looking for info specific to this version of the guitar.

Since mine is a 2010 tribute, it has the asymmetric neck. My friend has an assymetric neck on his Gibson 339 and I loved. This is by no means a 339, but it is very comfortable. As you may know, the Tribute also comes with a lot things that one would normally upgrade on an Epiphone in its price range--Grover locking tuners, coil tapped Gibson '57 humbuckers, locking strap buttons, and higher quality electronics. I'm currently within the 30-day return, so I'm trying to be a bit critical, but so far, I am pretty happy. The first thing that I've done is change the strings and performed a preliminary setup. Here are a couple of numbers on the setup for those who are into them. The first number, Start, is the out of the box measurement (the action was high for my taste), the second number, Target, is the target setting per Dan Erlewine's book "Guitar Player Repair Guide, 3rd edition", and the last number, Stop, is the setting I stopped on. "Stopped on" means that I was getting too much fret buzz or string deadening, so I had to back off to an acceptable setting.

Relief at 7th Fret (measured with capo on first fret and adjusted by the truss rod)

Start: 0.012", Target: 0.004", Stop: 0.009"

Bass E height at 12th fret (measured from top of 12th fret to bottom of string and adjusted by tune-o-matic bridge bottom post)

Start: 8/64", Target: 3/64", Stop: 4/64"

Treble E height at 12th fret (measured from top of 12th fret to bottom of string and adjusted by tune-o-matic bridge top post)

Start: 6/64", Target: 3/64", Stop: 4/64"

Neck pickup

Start: 4/32", Target/Stop: 3/32"

Bridge pickup

Start: 1/32", Target/Stop: 2/32"

After these adjustment, I've got buzzing on frets 9 and 10 on the D and G strings. Else, the guitar plays well and feels good--I like the assymetric neck. Intonation adjustments on the bass E, A, D, and G strings is needed. I'm optimistic that a professional fret dressing and set up will tame the buzzing and probably result in lower action.

One of the first things I look at in a guitar is the neck joint. I'm not sure why. I think that my eyes are drawn to that point as I play. The neck joint is nice (see photos)--better than my '95 Epi Sheriton.

The maple top grain is not spectacular like a quilt or tiger stripe, but it is nice just the same (again, better than my Sheri). The wood grain is not symmectircal, but it is one piece and the grain is unique and intersting. The grain on the mahogany back is very pretty. The rosewood fretboard has streaks of light wood, and after a quick fine wool scrubbing and a bit of lemon oil, looks very nice.

Aside from the buzzing frets, the other thing I don't like is that the fretboard leave my figers a dark purple color. I figure that this is probably a stain of some sort. I tried to remove the remnants by rubbing the board with lemon oil and a towel, but even after rubbing the frets for about ten minutes, my figers still get dirty.

I haven't had a chance to crank it and try different tone settings because my wife has been watching TV and is getting ready for bed, but the couple of quick tests I've been able to get away with haven't disappointed me.

In summary, I think this is a very good guitar for the price--very respectful to the man it is trying to memorialize. The fret board is smudgy, some setup is needed, and a professional setup is highly recommended. The assymetric neck is comfortable, and, I think, the various upgraded items make this guitar worth checking out.

I hope this was helpful, if not, I appreciate the forum allowing me to rant on.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Overall top view--like Markerdown, I haven't removed the push-pull directions on the tone pots.

IMG_2035.jpg

A closer view of the top.

IMG_2033.jpg

The important neck joint!

IMG_2031.jpg

The fretboard has visual personality, but it also smudges your fingers

IMG_2036.jpg

The back wood is beautiful and the electronics are of good quality--the installation looks clean

IMG_2038.jpg

The neck joint from the back looks tight like the front

IMG_2041.jpg

After these adjustment' date=' I've got buzzing on frets 9 and 10 on the D and G strings. Else, the guitar plays well and feels good--I like the assymetric neck. Intonation adjustments on the bass E, A, D, and G strings is needed. I'm optimistic that a professional fret dressing and set up will tame the buzzing and probably result in lower action.

[/quote']

Thanks for the review and the pics as I'm very interested in these new tribute models.

Shame you couldn't get the action ultra low, but 4/64" (1.6mm) on each side is not too bad. Is the buzzing you are getting the sort where the note buzzes at the point of maximum open string vibration or are these particular notes actually fretting out on light picking? I can handle the former but not the latter.

How are those #9 and #10 frets seated (and the others for that matter)? I wonder if the buzzing is more to do with that than the factory fret dress job.

Presumably your relief measurement was made on the D string as per Erlewine. Did you first try with a totally straight neck to see how low you can get the action before adding relief? For me, neck relief is added for heavy picking styles to allow fretted strings to vibrate without buzzing. A straight neck may well allow you to get the action lower if you don't pick or strum heavily.

Alan

Guest icantbuyafender

hmm, id scrap those tone knob decals.

That wiring job is actually VERY neat for epiphone.

Im not a fan of push-pulls on LP standards though. I prefer the vintage braided conductor wire, not the 4 conducter....

Smokin' low action! and a gorgeous rich burst too!

Thanks ISirius42. I started the other thread and as you can tell from that I am looking closely at that model. Great info re the setup. I use the Dan Erlewine book as well - very useful. It has paid for itself several times over so far by showing me how to get things pretty close without going to a guitar tech.

Stewart

Thanks for the positive feedback!

- Regarding the relief, I took the measurement on the low E and not on the D like I should have done. Next time I'll remember to use the D.

- Regarding the buzzing frets, I ran a straight edge over the frets and YES, the were not even. This gives me even more hope that a fret dressing can fix the problem.

- Regarding the neck joint quality, I kick myself for not taking out the neck pickup and looking. When I upgraded my Sheriton, I was amazed how poor the joint looked under the pickup. Before my trial weeks are up, I'm going to do it.

Thanks again!

Congrats on you new guitar. Great review, pics and detail info on your 2010. I'm going thru mine this weekend using DE's "bible" also. I was just freakin' floored when mine arrived and had to get some pics and take her for a test drive.

I already knew she had fret buzz issues out of the box and needs to be set up.

But man-o-man, same as yours, it's put together very very nicely, wiring is first rate, the tone is there and to me most important, I really like the asymmetrical neck.

I think it's the best bang for the buck epi LP out at this time. Since there is no more epi elite LPs in productions, IMO, this is verry close.

And yes, I finally removed the info placards behind the pot knobs and the straplocks [biggrin] ................................markerdown

Archived