Gibson Brands Forums

1978 Deluxe Gibson Les Paul

Caolan96

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[drool] Epi MD is the Epiphone Doctor, the one who can cure your Gibson GAS ailment .

There are certain years of the gibby LP deluxe that are more sought after than others and seem to hold their value better. I hope you did your research.

Congrats on you new axe.............................markerdown

okay guys home from school' date='

heres the deluxe.

[img']http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1249/3173987918a12234535763o.jpg[/img]

sweet mother of Jesus[drool] that almost has the OXE blood finish.... She's a beauty!!!

As for the molded chainsaw cases, IMO those are the best cases Gibson has ever made available.... Certainly they aren't the prettiest, but they are very sought after guitar cases

I had a 1975 Deluxe, paid $500.00 for it. Sold it several years later to a friend who made me a deal I couldn't refuse at the time because I needed my first car. I recently checked prices for the one I had, Around $2,000. Mine was Tobacco Sunburst. I have a vintage photo of a photo of it in 1976, and a Vintage photo of a polaroid photo of a VINTAGE guitar player at 16. Man, has time gone by!!!![drool]

img0058r.jpg

img0059w.jpg

sweet mother of Jesus[drool] that almost has the OXE blood finish.... She's a beauty!!!

As for the molded chainsaw cases' date=' IMO those are the best cases Gibson has ever made available.... Certainly they aren't the prettiest, but they are very sought after guitar cases

[/quote']

Thanks Duane, yeah i fell in love with that finish as soon as i saw it, as for the case, yeah its ugly, i had a feeling it was real sturdy tho, so i think itll be staying in that (:

il post some more pics tonight when i get it home,

btw duane what type of les paul is that cream/white one up there you posted, its reaaaaaaaal nice. :)

I had a 1975 Deluxe' date=' paid $500.00 for it. Sold it several years later to a friend who made me a deal I couldn't refuse at the time because I needed my first car. I recently checked prices for the one I had, Around $2,000. Mine was Tobacco Sunburst. I have a vintage photo of a photo of it in 1976, and a Vintage photo of a polaroid photo of a VINTAGE guitar player at 16. Man, has time gone by!!!![crying']

img0058r.jpg

img0059w.jpg

that vintage sunburst, is stunning, real nice axe, pitty you sold it, ever find out where your one went too? :)

I'd say get it too, assuming the price is fair market and it is checked out by an impartial luthier for any funny business.

Any guitar that makes you want to play every day for hours on end is worth it if you want to get good. And 13 is a great time to start. Both my kids are 11, and I sincerely hope one or both of them take up instruments more seriously in a couple of years...

I'd say get it too' date=' assuming the price is fair market and it is checked out by an impartial luthier for any funny business.

Any guitar that makes you want to play every day for hours on end is worth it if you want to get good. And 13 is a great time to start. Both my kids are 11, and I sincerely hope one or both of them take up instruments more seriously in a couple of years...[/quote']

ive actually been playing since i was 9, simple chords ect, but didnt get serious about it, bar chords, lead, solos, etc until i was 11, i really enjoy guitar, its like an escape from the outside world :)

yeah i really didnt wanna put the guitar down yesterday when i was trying it, the person whos selling it to me is my guitar teacher of 5 years so i trust him, as hes had it from new, way back in '78, but il get it checked just incase,

as far as slight spots and you know those swirls you can see when the light shines the right way on it, should i just leave them, also there is a little bit of a cloudy finish about an inch wide and a couple inches long at the top, i assume where the arm would rest, is there anyway to fix that?

Its not noticeable really, but im a perfectionist.

Thanks, Caolán.

Any guitar that makes you want to play every day for hours on end is worth it if you want to get good. And 13 is a great time to start. Both my kids are 11' date=' and I sincerely hope one or both of them take up instruments more seriously in a couple of years...[/quote']

But Brian, if they both become as serious as Caolan that means you will have to fork out $4000 for two Gibby's.....:)

Off topic: Caolan do you pronounce that Keelan like Caoimhe=Keevie I wanted to call my daughter Shona (I call her, Hunna, as in "nollaig shona duit") Caoimhe, but the wife thought it would be too confusing for the average Swede, that it is pronounced Keevie.

You need to leave those alone. You seem concerned with the guitar holding value. Any attempts to remove the scratches or "patina" on the guitar will only de-value it to collectors. You don't buy an old guitar so it'll look new and shiny, thats what new guits are for.

Congrats - that is a sweet looking guitar. I bought one for my bother back in the early '70s for $500, it was blue. I wrecked his car, so this was a pay off for the car, which we both fixed together.

I got an '80 Les Paul new and they were offering those molded cases, but I wanted a more traditional looking case. I wouldn't mind picking one up now though. My Gibby case is still in use, but with a new handle.

You can post some more pics, it won't hurt my feelings at all.

as far as slight spots and you know those swirls you can see when the light shines the right way on it' date=' should i just leave them, also there is a little bit of a cloudy finish about an inch wide and a couple inches long at the top, i assume where the arm would rest, is there anyway to fix that?

Its not noticeable really, but im a perfectionist.

Thanks, Caolán.[/quote']

I too like my guitars looking pristine..... My 72 epi, 72 SG and 80 LPC are in almost perfect condition.... In my sig is a 1950 Archtop that's in great condition as well.

You can brighten up those cloudy spots using the Virtuoso guitar cleaner.....

But Brian' date=' if they both become as serious as Caolan that means you will have to fork out $4000 for two Gibby's.....[biggrin']

Off topic: Caolan do you pronounce that Keelan like Caoimhe=Keevie I wanted to call my daughter Shona (I call her, Hunna, as in "nollaig shona duit") Caoimhe, but the wife thought it would be too confusing for the average Swede, that it is pronounced Keevie.

Caoimhe is actually quite a common name here, here it is pronounced Keeva.

and yes my name is pronounced Keelan.

Brian youll need to win the lottery :)

just got the guitar guys, heading home now, will post pics when i get home, and yes i do understand not to touch the scratches now, just needs a quick polish,

i think il buy some gibby vintage guitar polish soon.

by the way guys thanks for all the help, it really helped me make the right decision.

Thanks a bunch.

Caolán.

that vintage sunburst' date=' is stunning, real nice axe, pitty you sold it, ever find out where your one went too? :) [/quote']

At the time I could get it in Goldtop, Cherry Sunburst,or Tobacco Sunburst. Yea, It was real SWEET. Wish I still had it. Chicks riding in my car was more important then[biggrin].:) The friend I sold it to was from Australia. It may be there to this day..

as far as slight spots and you know those swirls you can see when the light shines the right way on it' date=' should i just leave them, also there is a little bit of a cloudy finish about an inch wide and a couple inches long at the top, i assume where the arm would rest, is there anyway to fix that?[/quote']

Caolan, use the search feature here for "cleaning" or "polish". Most members suggest just a soft clean cloth and water, but opinions vary. Whatever you decide, don't rush into a cleaning frenzy, you might regret it later.

The cloudy area is the reaction of the finish to the previous owner's sweat. Hard to remove...

Congrats by the way, glad you got it...

Duane' date=' ever had any dye bleeding issues with the chainsaw cases?[/quote']

Oh yes....[angry]

But when you leave a guitar in its case for 19 odd years untouched, you certainly can't blame the case.[blush] .... Plus white finishes are susceptible to etching...... But my Luthier rebuffed the whole guitar, also the pick-guard had to be re-buffed as well.... There was some weird chemical reaction to some of the plastics, but he was able to clean that up too.[confused]

Just let your baby breathe

yeahh, hopefully il be getting a vox VT-30 for my bday [confused]

it sounds good through my crappy amp as it is so im looing foward to thenew amp! :]

Duane anyway i could get the slight pinkish tint off the binding,pickguard, and humbucer mounting rings?

caolan.

Archived