Gibson Brands Forums

1978 Deluxe Gibson Les Paul

Caolan96

yeahh' date=' hopefully il be getting a vox VT-30 for my bday [confused

it sounds good through my crappy amp as it is so im looing foward to thenew amp! :]

Duane anyway i could get the slight pinkish tint off the binding,pickguard, and humbucer mounting rings?

caolan.

My Luthier used this red bar and a buffing wheel to get the blue dye off the binding and the guitar finish. He used a 3M product of sorts on the plastics.

The plastic weren't discolored, they just had this weird build-up on some of it. He had to re-glue one of the mounting pup rings, because it had cracked.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a beautiful guitar and you seem like a very sensible young man. Congrats on your purchase!

When you think about it to spend that sort of figure on something like a brand new LP Traditional and then lose a quarter of the price as soon as you've 'driven it off the forecourt' seems like a false economy.

I have an Abbey Hoffman approach to young people taking advice. Don't trust anyone over 30.

In my experience, there are a lot of people who want to see young people struggle the same way they did. If they didn't get something really good as a teenager, their kids shouldn't either.

Not that anyone here was saying that... that's just from my experience. I know a guy who made his kids return the video games their grandmother gave them for Christmas because he didn't have them when he was a kid - despite the fact that they didn't exist then.

Duane i'd say that luthier did a good job getting the blue of that white axe of yours. however we don't have many luthiers around here, no real ones that would ever think about a refinish or routing or even a buff like you described. I do have a guy who does a damn good job setting my axes up, far better than anyone i've tried can. so buffing as in a soft wheel that spins round will take that awful dye off, no products neccesary?

thankyou alanh for your compliment. yes I had the same approach, I didn't want a brand spanking new guitar that may loose it's value in the future , then i was offered a beautiful, well cared for, 32 year old Les Paul with all the broken in feel and the mojo which will hold it's money and may appreciate.

mrw1960 that is one awsome axe, Real nice look to it. loving the vintage photos.

I'm definitely looking foward to the new amp and more time playing this guitar night and day [confused]

caolán.

great il talk to my luthier next week when I'm leaving the axe infor some tuss rod adjustments, it should be fairly easy, he can even use a buffing wheel on the end of a drill right?

hopefully I can get that sorted, even if he can't fix the discolouration on the mounting rings I'd be happy if he got the binding back to it's nice creamy self.

thanks Duane.

caolán.

yeah duane come to think of it i dont think he has done that before, and i nor him would be comfortable with him doing that come to think of it.

thanks sheila, and gearhead !

btw sheila what an amazing looking les paul that is in your avatar, which model and finish is that?

Caolán.

plays amazing too' date=' mini humbuckers sound sweeeeet.[/quote']

Congrats on the new guitar, Caolan! It's a beauty and I think you made a great choice. Take good care of it and it will be like money in the bank.

I spent a lot of money on a lot of different things when I was a kid and I wish I bought a Gibson or two rather than a lot of other things I wasted my money on over the years. I didn't get my first Gibson until this year at age 39. Enjoy!

Congrats on the new guitar' date=' Caolan! It's a beauty and I think you made a great choice. Take good care of it and it will be like money in the bank.

I spent a lot of money on a lot of different things when I was a kid and I wish I bought a Gibson or two rather than a lot of other things I wasted my money on over the years. I didn't get my first Gibson until this year at age 39. Enjoy![/quote']

funny you should say that, cus before i bought this, i thought, hold on , i bought a dot, and a goldtop inside one month, if i had of waited a little longer i could have bought a gibson? [bored]

but did not expect this to come up, so glad i made the right decision [confused]

any chance of pics of the 339?

speaking of gibson es's, did you see the ridiculous price of the special anniversary es-335? [blink]

That is a beautiful guitar, Congrats!

As far as I can see, you've made an excellent choice, and the price was right, especially for Europe.

Regarding the binding: I wouldn't be to concerned about slight discoloration. Some people actually pay extra for NEW guitars with binding which has been made to look older, less white, etc.. Gibson even made a Les Paul with red binding. Here's a link:

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=29176

If at some point you decide that you want the binding to look pearly white, be sure you take it to someone trustworthy. But if it were my guitar, I wouldn't worry about it.

You have some very nice gear. Use it!

[rolleyes]

Great Buy, Caolan...enjoy it! I have a '76 Deluxe myself. Great guitar! How are the pickups?

Those old mini-humbuckers are great pickups, but they are notorious, for going "microphonic,"

(Squealing feedback, even at low volume) at some point. So...It might be a good idea, at some

time in the future, to get them wax potted. Mine went microphonic, a couple years back, so I had

them wax potted, and I think they sound a LOT better, now..than even when they were new!

And, it doesn't cost a lot, to do it, either.

Cheers, and Welcome to the "nut house!" Congratulations, on your new "baby!"

CB

• 1 month later...
Great Buy' date=' Caolan...enjoy it! I have a '76 Deluxe myself. Great guitar! How are the pickups?

Those old mini-humbuckers are great pickups, but they are notorious, for going "microphonic,"

(Squealing feedback, even at low volume) at some point. So...It might be a good idea, at some

time in the future, to get them wax potted. Mine went microphonic, a couple years back, so I had

them wax potted, and I think they sound a LOT better, now..than even when they were new!

And, it doesn't cost a lot, to do it, either.

Cheers, and Welcome to the "nut house!" Congratulations, on your new "baby!"

CB[/quote']

They pups are great, i will consider doing that, thanks for the advice [biggrin]

thanks,

Caolán.

Archived