Gibson Brands Forums

Will a single male into pair of females yield twice the screaming?

wedgeSG

OK, maybe this is a stupid question but I think theres a couple of folks out here doin' this someway: so what's the best way to go about it? I know that you can take a pair of 8 ohm cabs and with a mono Y-adapter run 'em into a 4 ohm tap: but can you split the signal off of the guitar cable with a Y-adapter and feed imput into a pair of heads? Will this work or is the instrument signal too weak? Can the heads be adjusted independantly or do they need to be at about the same volume? (Valve Juniors) In a nutshell, I've got a modded Vers.2 running a 2x12 at 8 ohms and a stock Vers.3 I'm running a pair of Y'ed together 8 ohm cabs into a 4 ohm jack. Just outta nut job curiousity I'm wondering how this would sound if I combined it all together...somehow... of if it was possible...or if it was the result of tooo much vodka. I got the Vers.3 setup recently as more spousal friendly alternative than the modded Vers2. and then the cogs began to turn... So to any of you multiple head players that can clue me in on this I would be most appreciative, wife might not be so greatful however.

Wedgie

can you split the signal off of the guitar cable with a Y-adapter and feed imput into a pair of heads?

Sure, if you want one amp to have much better signal than the other, and if you like ground loop hum.

The correct way to do this is thru a buffer with isolated outputs, such as if you were taking both outputs from a stereo effect. Otherwise, neither amp is getting full signal, and you're liable to have serious ground loop hum.

This assumes that you're running a seperate cab for each head.

I'm hoping to boost the fun level...so could we talk a bit about what to use as the buffer with isolated outputs? Is this a easilly obtained component, or something sourced from other equipment, or something that will have to be fabricated? I'd love to give this a whirl just for my own inquiring mind; but if it's a silly endeavor maybe I oughta just let it go... I kinda figured that there was more involved than just splitting the guitar signal - but am I incorrect in assuming that this could be accomplished and a possible upgrade as well?

Wedgie

so could we talk a bit about what to use as the buffer with isolated outputs? Is this a easilly obtained component, or something sourced from other equipment, or something that will have to be fabricated?

A buffered A/B/Y switch will do it, as will a stereo effect, such as a delay or chorus with stereo outs.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/zpyders-veb/zpyders-perf-layouts/humfreeaby/Improved_Hum_Free_ABY_Perf.gif.html

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby-detail.htm

Archived