Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson P-94 vs Phat Cat

hemiv8

Guest icantbuyafender
I wonder wich pickup have the most P-90 like tone in humbucker chassie? "Seymour Duncan Phat Cat" or "Gibson P-94"?

the gibson.

Phat cats have the typical seymour tone. Sterile!

blechh

i like SD pups, but when it comes to P90s... they just shouldnt try. However, the P-rails pup is intriguing.

Ive played a P94 and it had the warmth I expect from a P90

the gibson.

Phat cats have the typical seymour tone. Sterile!

blechh

i like SD pups' date=' but when it comes to P90s... they just shouldnt try. However, the P-rails pup is intriguing.

Ive played a P94 and it had the warmth I expect from a P90[/quote']

Would be bad if a seymour duncan would not sound like a seymour duncan...

I guess it also depends on in which guitar you put several pickups...who is playing...

For example: If somebody of us would play Jimmy Page's or SRV's guitar...i'm sure none of us would sound like SRV or Jimmy.....

Just try out what fits for you and your style/kind of music.

Wouldn't be so hard to get a Seymour or Gibson Pickup sold on *bay...

I am not going to go into a full lecture about psychology and conformity but.......GAS, being what it is and reading the threads on this site I could write a thesis.....

I have five guitars and I am a relative novice with some hobby cash.......

I am not in the same league as Svet...

Two of his guitars (maybe one) would far exceed all my outlay on guitars and modifications.

But reading between the lines on this forum, you see common experiential lines, like GFS Mean 90's are a very good pickup in the category referred to in this thread, for the dollar paid.

I want this category of pickup in my Joe Pass, I trust Carverman, I read a lot of his threads and that man knows his stuff...

So I am going for Mean 90's from GFS.

If they don't work for me then I will post otherwise, but if people I have respect for on this forum like Carverman and Jerrymac say they are fine for the dollar paid then they are good enough for me to try.....

Joseph' date='

I am still amazed at the mean 90 I put in the neck in my JP.

But before you go and change out the bridge HB,

check out the "mix" of the 90 & HB.

You may find the range pretty impressive.:) [/quote']

I have an aesthetic problem there.....I want the black mean 90's

and I would have to go on a trial with a gold neck Mean 90 in my JP to try what you say does the trick.

this is my JP you may see my problem, I want two black Mean 90's

P1010215.jpg

(the bridge pickup at the moment in my JP is SD JB SH-4 and in my short experience of listening to different pickups to my taste it is the best I heard...I have plans for it in an SG......all part of learning curve... So whta you are saying is the stock Epiphone bridge with a Mean 90 neck....is that right?)

I wonder wich pickup have the most P-90 like tone in humbucker chassie? "Seymour Duncan Phat Cat" or "Gibson P-94"?

I can't comment on the SD's but I do have a Nick Valensi Riviera with P-94's and I must say' date=' they are fantastic. In fact the looks of the NV are what caught my eye in the store, but the sound of those pickups are what made me take it home. I didn't even know what these wonderful pickups were when I bought the guitar; all I knew was "wow!". So I bought a signature guitar of a guy I'd never heard of with pickups in it that were a mystery to me. Obviously this was a spur-of-the-moment purchase, but I've had the guitar for a year now and will never sell it.

These pickups are pretty darn good. I love them.

Here's a couple pictures...

2607562040046640115S600x600Q85.jpg

2236693850046640115S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers

I've heard, like Joe, on this forum and others that the GFS Mean 90's are a very authentic P90 sound and they are so good value you almost afford to bin them if you hate them. Something you can't do with alot of other brands! That's not to say they are 'cheapo', just amazing value.

Some of the others are 'P90 voiced' so they have P90 characteristics but take it somewhere else too. There it's totally down to your ears and noone elses. I hear good reviews on the Kent Armstrongs too (Twang on here has them and raves about them), so that's what I've ordered (in cream to look like soapbars).

I think it's a good idea to mix. I went with 12 pole PAF (bridge) and Filtertron in the neck from Kent Armstrong in my blonde Sherry. Very different sounding and a great blend/range of tones but they look identical. If you went humbucker/P90, you would have a slight cosmetic issue (6 poles to the rear of one PUP and 6 in the centre of the other. Very minor, but...).

Joseph,

The GFS Mean 90 in the HB gold cover in the neck

with the orig. HB left at the bridge.

I like the mix of the 2 different PUs.

As for the cool dogear P90s, I'll bet they'll look

great on a JP. (you'll have to do some surgery to the PG)

I just think you may want to try installing 1 PU at a time.

I think the sound will far outweigh the mixmatched look.

Joseph' date='

The GFS Mean 90 in the HB gold cover in the neck

with the orig. HB left at the bridge.

I like the mix of the 2 different PUs.

As for the cool dogear P90s, I'll bet they'll look

great on a JP. (you'll have to do some surgery to the PG)

I just think you may want to try installing 1 PU at a time.

I think the sound will far outweigh the mixmatched look.[/quote']

What type of music do you play? Can you explain in greater detail what the mixture gives you? What I am after, more bark and bite for blues.......

this is P-90's (3 of them) in a jazz box playing blues

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

here is a JP with P-90's

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

That is a very different sound to the stock JP and what I have at the moment just hoping the the Mean 90's will get me close I don't want dogeared P-90's too much trouble....just want something that drops in the humbucker routes...

Archived