Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II

Fred611281734228

Fred,

There is a TON of information on this forum regarding Sheratons. Rather than rehashing it all here, I would suggest doing a search on Sheraton within this forum. But pull up a chair because you will be reading for a while.

~MW

Yes, do it! You'll not look back.

Forget the new Chinese ones. Anything from Samick, Unsung, Saen or Matsumoko factories will be fine. Watch the bridge size on some Samick's though, they can have a 72mm post to post spacing which is a ***** to find a replacement for. 74mm and you've got alot of options.

If you manage to find an EBG (Epiphone by Gibson written on the headstock) you'll be in vaulted company it appears!

Electrics and pickups are the most poular upgrades. Although they sound great as stock for alot of owners, you can really bring the spec up really high with these changes. What you can do depends on the styles you play. Remeber, these were played by John Lee Hooker and are now played by Vampire Weekend and Kings of Leon so are very versatile guitars!

As the last post says, pull up a chair, matchstick your eyes open and get reading for the font of knowledge! Pay particular attention to Twang posts, he was a great source for 2 full Sheraton mods I've undertaken (2000 Samick blond and 2007 Unsung VSB).

If you need to know anything specific, please holler back and we will help all we can.

Bon chance!

Noijj

Easy. The Samick Sheraton's have a serial number starting with S. If you put the serial number into www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx then it will tell you where it was made and when. Very useful.

The Chinese ones begin with EE or they have no letter prefix at all. These are the poorer quality.

Good used one? Well, I'm a lefty and they really hold their price, plus I'm in the UK so even more a premium (sorry, didn't notice where you're from?). I guess for a right handed one with a case, about 300-350 british pounds? Maybe less if you're in the States, like 400-500 bucks?

USED "Elitist!" Or...if you can find one' date=' a AIUSA Sheraton (I or II). More money, but WORTH IT!! IMHO, as always.

CB[/quote']

I have not seen a used Elitist Sheraton anywhere!

I would much rather have the quality. I think I am going to try and find one from Korea, or even the Epiphone by Gibson. I do plan on buying a Gibson 335 later. I can't eat the 3000 dollar payment right now or in the near future

My bone-stock Sherri II from Unsung/Korea does fantastic for Blues,Country,& Classic Rock...........

The p'ups seem to be moderate output (i've not tested them) and tube overdrive beautifully.

I don't use distortion, so I can't comment on that.

The weight is good, it's got some "heft" to it, and is comfortable to play standing, or sitting.

The neck reminds me a bit of my Tele for "feel" and thats a GOOD thing.

Hope you find "your" Sherri !

Hi Fred

and welcome on the Epi-Forum

'Joe Samick' is the "Sherry-Guru" over here........:-

I'm sure he'll help you........

as for the place of manufacture........

IMO there are mostly well made guitars from each factory and from each decade

and there are some 'less' well made ones' date=' and it seems to me that's just the same

with all other brands........

I like my Lucille more than any Sheraton - but that's just me

You'll find "your" Sheraton !

Peter

[/quote']

Peter I am a fanatic novice, not a guru get your facts straight.....[biggrin]

Hi Fred, welcome to the forum,

I would say a lot depends on your "goal" (type of music you want to play) I had two "goals" in mind.

Having two identical stock Sherris is not what I am after, I want each to have a very different character.

Sherri 1) I want one Sherri with minis that bark and bite your arse off with a set of .010 .013 .017p .032w .045w .054w for Blues hopefully with a "Hookerish" special tone, I am seeking, More of an early Sheraton 1 reference.

Sherri 2) A Sherri which I can get to be "my" quality 335, PAF, all round guitar with a set .010 .013 .017 .026w .036w .046w the reference for this guitar would actually be a 60's Gibby 335.

I bought two very nice second hand Samick Sheratons 1987 E-by-G (will get the minis) 1989 (will get a set of hand wound PAF clones, the best way to describe the spec I have ordered is a cross between a Lollar imperial Low Wind and a Gibson Burstbucker 1).

I just fancied my two Sherris to come from that post Japan pre-1990 Korean period, so that is what I bought.

Both are fine guitars as they stand, I bought them cheap second hand to modify.... both will get top quality new electrics and pickups. They will not be Elitists or Gibby's but they will be two very fine guitars.

I have a budget for each of these guitars equal to buying a new MIC stock Sheraton here in Sweden. That is my choice and I hope to have both guitars finished in 6 to 8 weeks time.

these are my two either side of my Joe Pass, I do like the baccy bursts again just a preference of mine.

trio.jpg

Hiya Duane :-$

I play rock, alternative, blues, and some other stuff, but that primarily.

I like how the Sheraton sounds, its different from the 335 in a way. I don't plan that many mods, maybe some different pickups, but I probably won't go with some PAFs because I am not really going for the 335 sound. I might put in a p94..... [biggrin]

Thanks, I learned some info. You guys are really helpful, and I hope to remain here and learn more.

Hiya Duane :-$

I play rock' date=' alternative, blues, and some other stuff, but that primarily.

I like how the Sheraton sounds, its different from the 335 in a way. I don't plan that many mods, maybe some different pickups, but I probably won't go with some PAFs because I am not really going for the 335 sound. I might put in a p94..... [biggrin

Thanks, I learned some info. You guys are really helpful, and I hope to remain here and learn more.

Hi Fred, sounds like an excellent, considered choice, a lot of Sherris with P94's out there with happy owners. I am going for Mean 90's in my "Joe Pass".

There is an excellent thread on the history of the Sheraton on another site. I only use this forum but found this very useful...

http://epi.p3net.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2964

There is a very interesting statement on that thread

"OK...before we go any further here's a little history lesson...The original Kalamazoo-made Sheraton model came along in 1958 as an "upgrade' to the Gibson ES-335 that was introduced in the spring of 1958 and made use of component parts Gibson received when it bought Epiphone in 1957...parts such as the New York single coil pickups and Frequensator tail pieces...

That is why I am going for Firebird mini's in one to emulate the New York single coil sound pickups and PAFS in the other.

The truth is the Sheraton is such a versatile guitar you can make it very much "your" Sheraton rather than "a" Sheraton. The P94 Sheraton sounds a good call, good luck and post some photos when you find your Sherri...

Also if you end up with an E-by-G be sure to root out that post and become member # 6 of the owners club....:-$

And how much should I be paying for a used one in good condition' date=' maybe just a few nicks in it.[/quote']

I picked up my relatively-mint (e.g. no scratches and just some minor fret wear) 1999 Samick Sheraton for $350 US. I have a set of Gibson '57 Classics and an RS Guitarworks Complete Electronics Upgrade Kit that I plan to throw in it. They are really nice guitars to start, but with an electronics upgrade they can be wonderful guitars at an affordable price.

Good luck in your search for "your" Sheraton.

~MW

I picked up my relatively-mint (e.g. no scratches and just some minor fret wear) 1999 Samick Sheraton for $350 US. I have a set of Gibson '57 Classics and an RS Guitarworks Complete Electronics Upgrade Kit that I plan to throw in it. They are really nice guitars to start' date=' but with an electronics upgrade they can be wonderful guitars at an affordable price.

Good luck in your search for "your" Sheraton.

~MW[/quote']

Ya gots that right Mike! I paid $400 US for mine and hardcase, but have since changed out everything from tuners to tailstop, pickups to pots, and the SD Antiquities are about as close as you can get to PAF's...now she's mine:

Sheri-mod-fish-close.jpg

Here's my other question: A few people brought up the Epi by Gibson. What is so special about these? Better quality? What?

Thanks again' date=' you guys are helping out a ton[/quote']

They're less common. They're the same as any other early Korean-made Sheraton, but they have Epiphone by Gibson on the headstock, which was only done for two years or so.

Here's my other question: A few people brought up the Epi by Gibson. What is so special about these? Better quality? What?

Thanks again' date=' you guys are helping out a ton[/quote']

Hi Fred

The Epi by Gibson (E-by-G) is not "special", what makes them interesting is their place in the history of the Sheraton.

They mark the transition point of production from Japan to Korea 1986-1988 the special interest is, that the early E-by-G's are designed slightly differently from later models.

When we talk about owning "a" Sheraton, we must accept that a 2010 built Sheraton is a very different guitar to a 1959 Sheraton and there have been a great number of slightly and greatly different build qualities from the earliest Sheraton I's to the very latest Sheraton II's.

From sharing notes in that thread we know the 86 to Feb 88 have a design feature in the bridge route to access easier if changing out the electrics.

For instance slawek's late 88 model E-by-G does not have this feature. There was a design change mid 88....

There are other things, 5 piece neck, tenon joint shape, etc which differ from later models, which are explained the E-by-G owners club thread.

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13095

So it has nothing to do with the headstock really, which is only an identification marker of Sheratons from that period.

The point of the owners club thread, is to try and collate info and carry out a little research into that period of the Sheraton's history.

Musikron, who has had a lot of guitars go through his hands really rates his E-by-G, if you get a nice example from that period they share some design features with the earlier Japanese Sheraton builds according to Jerrymac...but all is explained in the thread.

Don't think it is just a matter of a different headstock.

ebg.jpg

Thanks Joe, if I may.... So what you are saying, is that it is the transitional period with them being made in Japan to Korea, right? I just want to clarify.

My main question is that if I found one made by Samick and an Epi by Gibson, would the Epi by Gibson be more reliable, better quality, what?

No offense meant to anyone, I understand it has a cool history, but I just want to play the thing. I want the best quality one for the least amount of money.

In your opinion, would I be best off, just for quality and reliability, to go with a Samick made one, or a Epi by G?

Seriously, thank you. I don't mean to sound rude, and if I do, it is not my intention at all

Thanks Joe' date=' if I may.... So what you are saying, is that it is the transitional period with them being made in Japan to Korea, right? I just want to clarify.

My main question is that if I found one made by Samick and an Epi by Gibson, would the Epi by Gibson be more reliable, better quality, what?

No offense meant to anyone, I understand it has a cool history, but I just want to play the thing. I want the best quality one for the least amount of money.

In your opinion, would I be best off, just for quality and reliability, to go with a Samick made one, or a Epi by G?

Seriously, thank you. I don't mean to sound rude, and if I do, it is not my intention at all[/quote']

Buy what suits you, just know that over time they differ, from any period you can a good player or a duffer that is nature of guitars.

I personally just went for the Samick Sherris, Samick as a factory has a fairly good reputation.

I have an E-by-G 87 and and a later 89 Samick. I am happy with both.

Your not being rude at all if you just want a guitar to play......probably all the detail is annoying as it only complicates the purchase....... pick a few up and play them and if it suits you buy it. But in the future if you fancy changing out the electrics then you think back when struggling through the f holes and say **** I wish I had gone for one of those with the easier access......[biggrin]

Buy a Sherri that suits you and enjoy man go.....get that Sherri and post some photos.........[biggrin]

Buy what suits you' date=' just know that over time they differ, from any period you can a good player or duffer that is nature of guitars.

I personally just went for the Samick Sherris, Samick as a factory has a fairly good reputation.

I have an E-by-G 87 and and a later 89 Samick. I am happy with both.

Your not being rude at all if you just want a guitar to play pick a few up and play them and if it suits you buy it. But in the future if you fancy changing out the electrics then you think back when struggling through the f holes and say yeehaw I wish I had gone for one of those with the easier access......[biggrin

Buy a Sherri that suits you and enjoy man go.....get that Sherri and post some photos.........[biggrin]

I am just asking a ton of questions, because if I am going with a Samick (which I think I am), I would have to go on eBay.

There are NO used Sheratons by me, so I would have to go with that, which is why I want to know.

I have had a Samick, very nice guitars. I have played a ton of em, and they are all high quality. My teacher has a Samick 335 guitar (probably just a sherry with a different headstock [lol]) And it sounds beautiful.

I am just asking a ton of questions' date=' because if I am going with a Samick (which I think I am), I would have to go on eBay.

There are NO used Sheratons by me, so I would have to go with that, which is why I want to know.

I have had a Samick, very nice guitars. I have played a ton of em, and they are all high quality. My teacher has a Samick 335 guitar (probably just a sherry with a different headstock [biggrin) And it sounds beautiful.

FredSamick [biggrin]

Samick SAN 450

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Samick/SAN+450/10/3

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/1605526686.html

I think this is Musikron's neck of the woods $300 that is a bargain IMHO......I would have had this guitar if it were for sale here for that price and did not have my two sherri's...that's $75 less than I paid for my E-by-G.....

3n33m63o15Oa5Pd5S6a2h446020a2ac561fc4.jpg

Features : 10

Same guitar as an Epiphone Sheraton II. In fact, I have heard that Samick sometimes get the two mixed up during shipment. [lol].........Basically, it is a clone of the Gibson ES-335 - a semi-hollow with a mahogany neck, maple body and center block, rosewood fretboard and single-ply binding on body, f-holes and fingerboard. No way to tell, but I assume that the top and back are laminated and press-formed. It has a Tune-omatic bridge, stop tailpiece 2-volume, 2-tone controls, 3-way switch, basic asian PAF-style humbuckers. Transparent burgandy finish. Dealer threw in a Kaman HSC.

Archived