Gibson Brands Forums

Was going to get a G-400 but...

matt1039

I posted a few days ago asking for opinions on the G-400 which I was interested in getting, until I walked into my local music shop. They had a Les Paul Special with two P-90's that I could not pass up. It has a set neck, Grover tuners, 3 way selector switch and 2 volume and 2 tone pots. It is awesome (even though I've only had it a day). It is light and easy to play and the P-90's sound great. It is a flat top like a junior, so I think it is some kind of junior special. It has an odd shaped pickguard, but other than that is looks amazing. It has a transparent white finish, which is almost gray. And it has the Limited Edition Custom Shop stamp on the back.

The guy at the shop said this model was only sold at independently owned shops and not available through the major chains. Which if it is true is pretty cool. That shop is the only place I've seen this model, and I can't find any information about it online. Does anybody know anything else about this model of guitar? The only thing I can really find is on the Gibson site about a Gibson model only available in Japan. I would love some more info on this?

Beautiful. How is the neck?

I saw one in yellow on e-bay and noticed the serial number is like yours, made last year.

I e-mailed Gibson yesterday to try to get some information on the guitar.

No reply yet.

I agree, there is nothing on the Epiphone or Gibson sites detailing this model.

One would imagine that this should fall under the Special Runs section on the Epi site.

How much did you get it for?

I would love to find one of these, yellow or faded white.

I have not seen any in the Pittsburgh area.

Mark

Let me know if you hear anything back from Epiphone or Gibson. I'm just a bid guitar dork and want to know as much as I can. The only thing I could really find is a Japan only release Gibson.

The neck is pretty nice. It feels rounder than the G-400. I've got short fingers so a round neck is more comfortable than a flatter one. It was marked at the store for $380, but it rang up at $350 so I was not complaining. The shop I got it from is a locally owned chain, they have about four in the area. These are the only stores I have seen this model in. At one they had a yellow one and then the one I got. It is still pretty new, but it is a great guitar.

Also, what is going on with the headstock? Instead of the normal shape the corners have been rounded off.

I am a proud owner of a Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 in Natural Burst. A few people here on the forums have tried to get information about these Epi Limited Edition "Custom Shop" guitars, with little luck. They aren't listed on the Epiphone website. The best information I've seen so far is that Epiphone makes limited runs of Special or Limited edition guitars in alternate finishes and then hands a couple each to select dealers, not the big box stores. Everyone who has one seems to love it. The best way to figure out what you have is by finding the model that it is a limited run of. In my case, it's the Silverburst G-400. I have to say, I'm not having much luck in figuring out what yours is though.

Also, what is going on with the headstock? Instead of the normal shape the corners have been rounded off.

I'm not sure of the exact reason, but I would imagine it keeps it separate from the Gibson headstocks.

I might give some of the local stores in town a call and see if they have anything different.

If Epi/Gibson do respond to my e-mail, I will post it here.

Mark

Archived