Gibson Brands Forums

The misterious EPI (not epiphone).

Dr.Funk

Hi folks.

I'm italian, adn yesterday i've purchased an old es-175.

The sound is good and the guitar is in good condition, for 250€ with an hard case is ok! [biggrin]

Looking for the date of this guitar i've encounter some trouble.

The serial n° is 0101106.

I've no found anything about that, and asking to one user of this forum, he was surprised about the model.

Can someone help me to date this guitar?

Tnx to all.

spa0330.jpg

spa0329.jpg

spa0328.jpg

spa0327.jpg

P.S. Excuse me for bad english.

Well, I'm not 100% sure about the production year, but I've seen lots of Epiphones on Ebay and other places where people claimed they were from a decade that a particular model was never even built in. I see this all the time with strats. For example: They claim they have a particular strat from the 70's but Epiphone didnt build strats in the 70's. I see this in about 3 out of 5 Epiphone strats. They always claim a buddy bought it new and was just sitting around in a closet. Maybe it was, but not since the 1970's.

This is what GuitarDater say about your Epiphone:

Your guitar was made in

Korea

October c.1990

Production Number: 1108

Also, I think the info I have about the Epi's being made in China is incorrect. I dont think that Epiphone made any guitars in China until the 00's. I could be wrong.

But my friend have this guitar since late 80' date=' and purchased it used.[/quote']

The Epiphone Epi-Series were produced as an entry level line in the Epiphone range of guitars and basses.

From what I know' date=' they were produced in 1995 but I'm not sure if that was the only year. They were said to be made in China and Indonesia.

...'ve seen lots of Epiphones on Ebay and other places where people claimed they were from a decade that a particular model was never even built in.

[/quote']

Dr. Funk is correct. The original Epi line of student guitars was introduced in the late 70s. They resurrected the brand in the '90s when they contracted with a Taiwan manufacturer for a cheaper line of guitars.

The 1979 price lists show Epi acoustics (and even a banjo), but no electrics. I have a feeling pohatu is right about the Epi line being primarily for the European market, but at least some acoustics were sold in the USA.

Tnx Robin.

But the first attempt to date my guit was the guitardater and it fail in many case.

I've readed a previous discussion on this forum about the guitardater, and i'll found this:

EE150504711

If you enter this serial, the guitar dater give you a guitar from the future, in other situation the result is 2000 Korea.

I've send a mail to Jerrymac, and he said that never saw a semiacouustic epi.

I guess that the gibson send me some info, or someone see a guitar like that with a 7 numers serial.

Tnx a lot.

Dr. Funk is correct. The original Epi line of student guitars was introduced in the late 70s. They resurrected the brand in the '90s when they contracted with a Taiwan manufacturer for a cheaper line of guitars.

The 1979 price lists show Epi acoustics (and even a banjo)' date=' but no electrics. I have a feeling pohatu is right about the Epi line being primarily for the European market, but at least some acoustics were sold in the USA.[/quote']

I knew you would have the answer to this. I stand corrected then. I just see alot of mis-dating with older, obscure models. My info about the Epi brand was primarily from the strat line in the 90's. So then the info about the 90's line being made in China (Taiwan) was correct.

I'm going to assume that this Epi student line was probably of higher quality than the 90's Epi budget brand.

I knew you would have the answer to this. I stand corrected then. I just see alot of mis-dating with older' date=' obscure models. My info about the Epi brand was primarily from the strat line in the 90's. So then the info about the 90's line being made in China (Taiwan) was correct.

I'm going to assume that this Epi student line was probably of higher quality than the 90's Epi budget brand.[/quote']

Correct. From what I heard, there was a new state of the art factory built in Taiwan and Epiphone considered using them as a lower cost alternative to the Korean manufacturers. They made really nice looking guitars, but there was a problem with too much moisture in the wood they used. They decided they didn't want to risk damaging the Epiphone brand with an inferior product, so they decided to sell them off as student guitars with the old Epi name.

Dr.Funk had emailed me yesterday, I gave him the info. His serial # 010xxxx is the same format used by the Matsumoku Epiphones, so I told him that it would indicate it was made in October 1980 which corresponds to the time period the Epi line was originally produced. As I told him, I can't confirm it positively since there's very little info available, but all the evidence points to October 1980. Maybe Frenchie has seen these and can shed some more light on the matter.

Damn, Jerrymac! Your extensive knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Where do you keep it all?

I suppose ALL Epis could be considered "entry-level"...but an ES 175??? Pretty nice beginner's guitar!

No Doubt. I want a hollow body so bad, but I dont think I am ready for one yet.

Thank you all guys.

Jerrymac you are really an old sage with six string :-({|=

Where you find all this info?

RobinTheHood, i'm a bass player non a guitarist, ad this is my first semiacoustic.

Have a rich and warm sound and a good playability, for the price i've payed is a great guitar.

If you find something like this one, take immediatly [lol]

Also' date=' I think the info I have about the Epi's being made in China is incorrect. I dont think that Epiphone made any guitars in China until the 00's. I could be wrong.[/quote'] Dunno 'bout any electrics, but my acoustic was made at the Zaozhuang plant, Saehan, China, November 1999. Has held up and plays well for a low level acoustic (AJ18).

Doc Funk - I like those ES-175's .... a semi-hollow LP:-k .... maybe throw a set of p-90's on it ???

Dunno 'bout any electrics' date=' but my acoustic was made at the Zaozhuang plant, Saehan, China, November 1999. Has held up and plays well for a low level acoustic (AJ18).

Doc Funk - I like those ES-175's .... a semi-hollow LP:-k .... maybe throw a set of p-90's on it ??? [/quote']

Yeah, Jerrymac corrected me on that one.

Hey folks!

The gibson service europe can't date my guitar! [thumbup]

They send me an e-mail where said: "Unfortunately we cannot date your guitar from the serial number. The Epip product line was introduced as low entry models at an affordable price. They were a bit more simple in the production, but not bad guitars (please see the file attached)".

The Epi line has been out of production since about 2000.

The attached files are 2 pictures of an old epi catalog but with no date or with my guitar.

Problem solved, like Jerrymac said is 1980.

I've not understand cause my bad english.

Tnx to all, and excuse me Jerrymac for the lose of your time.

• 2 years later...

Ciao Dr.Funk!!!

Qualche giorno fa mi hanno proposto di acquistare una Epi come la tua, per 150 euro...

Ho anche avuto modo di provarla, e suona davvero bene!

Il numero di serie è:

G0010148.

Sapresti darmi qualche informazione su queste chitarre (anni di produzione, materiali, pick-up, ecc.)?

In rete non ho trovato praticamente nulla...

Il prezzo dovrebbe essere più che buono...

Di che anno è la tua?

Vale la pena acquistarla, per poi effettuare un successivo upgrade?

Aspetto una tua risposta!!!

Grazie!!!!!!!!!

Just you can see in the pictures, the pu is mounted on byrdlands.

Not really a Byrdland, just a generic tailpice with a little flair as found on the Epi Joe Pass model, and on guitars by many other manufacturers.

Archived