Gibson Brands Forums

BestPractice - Learning Tool (Free Download)

vern_s

No offense' date=' but care to elaborate on what it's about before I go clicking on an odd looking link?[/quote']

Sure, no problem. This is directly from the site:

BestPractice is a musician's practice tool, to slow down or speed up music, either from an MP3 file or directly from a CD. Ordinarily the sound is distorted when slowed down our sped up - you get the effect like when playing a 33 rpm record on 45 rpm speed (remember the Chipmunks?). BestPractice tries to correct this, so you can slow down and speed up music, while keeping the original pitch. It is also possible to change the pitch of the music without affecting its tempo. Play along with for instance Eb tuned guitars without retuning your own, or slow down that high-speed guitar solo on a CD that you like to learn.

Cool software sir! Thanks!

Guys I downloaded it, installed and tested. It's safe. This is free software that will let you use your PC like one of those guitar trainer CD players. Looks like you can slow down cd audio and MP3 tracks to learn licks, also looks like you can remove the vocal tracks for Karaoke, or learning the vocal lines.

Played Floyd's "Money" and was able to hear the slap back delay on the opening bass line... sweet!!

Does it come in English?

Sorry, but it seems that the link isn't working properly. I even tried to edit it and it won't work here, but Ive posted it in a few other forums and it works just fine, hmmmm......not a tech???? If you copy and paste the link into your address bar it should work for you, it did for me.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/

Quicktime does the same thing and you probably already have it on your computer. Under the "Window" menu' date=' select "Show A/V controls" and there's a slider for pitch and another for speed. It also works with videos.[/quote']

Cool, I never knew that, can you chunk and loop sections of a song like you can on this software?

Cool' date=' I never knew that, can you chunk and loop sections of a song like you can on this software?[/quote']

The free version of quicktime is fairly limited as far as features. I figured I'd just mention it as a very basic alternative. I have a pretty old laptop (450 mHz) that I use occasionally for email or for listening to tunes at rehearsal. A lot of the new kick-*** software doesn't run very well on the older OS, so Quicktime works well for basic functions.

Fixed the link

I didn't see a MAC version, but wasn't looking for one either. I have a spare laptop I am going to use for recording and such, this will work nicely.

**EDIT** I went back and actually looked. Source files say platform independent, but the program says i386 architecture.

Archived