Gibson Brands Forums

"Bargain" '59 LP burst on the Bay

brianh

I had to laugh.

The description makes it out to be in absolute mint, hardly every played, kept-by-owner's nephew condition and then you pan down to the photos for a completely different story. The description of the frets got me the most. Never been dressed.......when you look at the photos of them - that's the understatement of the year. In fact it's the understatement of all years since 1959!

Oh and I like the comment "Sustains for about a day and a half". Maybe Spinal Tap will buy it?

Is it a smart move to purchase anything from a person who goes by "ratfart"??

The first thing that goes through your mind with an expensive, rare item eBay sale is "Has the seller actually physically ever seen/laid hands on the item?"

I don't understand you guys...

Looks like a real '59 Burst.Do you really know what that means?

Usually they go for more than 250 000' date='-

Do you know that between 1958-1960 Gibson only built about 1600 Les PAul Standards...[/quote']

It's a piece of history......

........but it's also a piece of something else!

It looks totally unplayable and, on this forum, we talk about guitars you can play.

A few threads back a young teenager bought a 1978 Gibson Les Paul for £1,400 and it looked absolutely amazing. I know which I'd rather have.

What do you mean by looks fantastic?

For me SRV's or Rory Gallagher's Strat look fantastic.Those guitars got soul and their own story...

But maybe it's the wrong forum to discuss about THE REAL ****...it's different on the Les Paul Forum...

Those guitars(like this '59 Burst on eBay) played by our heroes made history not a guy playing a plastic coated Epiphone...

Frets that aren't totally worn out, pieces not dropping off, no rust. In contrast, the teenager's '78 was a beaut.

You couldn't change anything on that '59 because it's totally stock and is an antique. Great if you're an antique collector but not so good if you're a guitar player.

A guy on the Gibson SG forum recently bought a '67 SG. It looked gorgeous but his next post was entitled "Best way to store an SG?" If you're a guitarist, why buy a guitar that is either unplayable or that you're too scared to play. That's the point I was making. I've nothing against old guitars but, as a guitarist (not that I'm any good), I don't like guitars that aren't played.

For me SRV's or Rory Gallagher's Strat look fantastic.Those guitars got soul and their own story...

But maybe it's the wrong forum to discuss about THE REAL yeehaw...it's different on the Les Paul Forum...

Those guitars(like this '59 Burst on eBay) played by our heroes made history not a guy playing a plastic coated Epiphone...

And those guys who made the history would do exactly the same job on a plastic coated guitar as they did back when those old LPs were considered neither rare nor desirable.

I thought the reason those old LPs are so valuable is that they were discontinued for most of the '60s due to poor sales and the subsequent introduction of the SG?

Archived