Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP 56 Gold Top Reissue

tflanster

There's a guy on a local Craigslist trying to sell a year old Gold Top for $400. It's been on the list for a couple months. The guy claims he bought it new for over $500 which is bulls*%t. They're selling new at a few places on the 'net for about $480 - $490, no tax, no shipping. I figure the used one should go for about a couple hundred, give or take a few bucks. What do y'all think?

What I think is that it's his guitar and he can ask whatever he wants for it.

You're correct, of course in that GC still has them available new for $500. Is the seller including a case? If so, then it's not a horrible deal if it's in pristine condition.

Bottom line, I think this seller is probably building a little bit of "negotiating room" into his price. Try making him an offer and see if he goes for it. If not ... get yourself a new one! Good luck!

Jim

Buy mine. Check out the sale /trade thread. $400 shipped with HSC and it is pristine gair-run-teed condition. This is thee best deal you are probably going to find for an axe and hard case in this condition. Find one cheaper? possibly, but you get what you pay for and it won't be like this one! ....................markerdown

GC has a retail store in my state' date=' so the GT I got new last May was $499+ tax.

I'm curious as to whether YOU would sell a 1 yr. old guitar for less than half your purchase price?

I wouldn't.[/quote']

shoot, every guitar I have ever bought and sold I try to make a much of my money back as I can, and fore the most part I do, the past year i have sold about 3 guitars, all i paid $380 for one and sold it for $350, I paid $700 for one sold it for $689 , bought one for $375, sold it for $370, not a one of these guitars was anything special, nor were they a year old, more like 3 to 4 years old, I always try to get the most because I have a rule, I never sell a guitar to pay a bill, or get some quick cash, If I sell one I must replace it with the money I sold it for and maybe a few extra dollars, but $500 seems right, and because I have used craiglist alot....you have to advertise the most you can for it because every one on there is looking for a deal and trys to low ball ya, Have you tried haggling with the guy, its one of our most ancient art forms "the art of the deal"

GC has a retail store in my state' date=' so the GT I got new last May was $499+ tax.

I'm curious as to whether YOU would sell a 1 yr. old guitar for less than half your purchase price?

I wouldn't.[/quote']

Given the state of the economy and supposing I need the dough, sure, I'd sell mine for half. In fact, stupidly, I did exactly that a year ago when I sold my Quilted Cherry LP for $250.00. It was truly a dumb thing to do but I needed a couple hundred fast and this was one of several guitars I chose to sell.

The gold top I'm talking about, BTW, doesn't come with HSC and it has a couple small dings. Nothing serious. Whether it's a year old or 20 years old really doesn't matter. Its worth precisely what someone will pay for it, not a dime more. You know as well as I do that as soon as that guitar walked out the door it lost nearly half of its value - pretty much like a car. I'm not knocking the guy for asking $400. Hell, its his guitar. He can ask a grand if he wants. I'm just saying that in today's marketplace that particular used instrument isn't worth $400. That's all.

Given the state of the economy and supposing I need the dough' date=' sure, I'd sell mine for half. In fact, stupidly, I did exactly that a year ago when I sold my Quilted Cherry LP for $250.00. It was truly a dumb thing to do [/quote']

If Red Forman (That 70's Show) had been standing beside you he would have slapped you on the back of the head and said "Dumba$$! Why don't you let put my foot up your a$$!" LOL! Theres a dude that has one for sale locally on craigslist and he's asking $350 for it but man he is impossible to deal with. I have done evrything I can to try to buy or trade with him and he always ends messing uo the deal by being a complete prick. I would go into details but I would have a stoer about 2 pages long if I went through all the different deals we tried to work and then he would flip flop. I paid $500 for mine plus $59 for a case. I would you gladly bought a used one for $400 off of craigslist. I wouldn't worry about a couple dings if they are not to bad, kinda gives character. Battle scars, if you will.

Yeah, right on about selling that LP. I think about that often - a really, really dumb decision, but . . . its gone and I can't get it back, unless I find where the buyer lives and put a hit on him ;-)

I'm still working the Goldtop. I think we'll come to an understanding eventually, after the guy can't sell it for what he's asking. It's been on the list for a couple months or more, posted at least twice at the same price. I give the guy credit, he's holding out for the bucks. Hope he listens to "reason" soon. I'm getting antsy - severe GAS.

Yeah' date=' right on about selling that LP. I think about that often - a really, really dumb decision, but . . . its gone and I can't get it back, unless I find where the buyer lives and put a hit on him ;-)

I'm still working the Goldtop. I think we'll come to an understanding eventually, after the guy can't sell it for what he's asking. It's been on the list for a couple months or more, posted at least twice at the same price. I give the guy credit, he's holding out for the bucks. Hope he listens to "reason" soon. I'm getting antsy - severe GAS.[/quote']

That sounds like the same guy I was dealing with on the quilted cherry lp standard here locally. Hes had it on their for awhile too. The last time I spoke with him he said someone was picking it up today. That was just before he cussed me out. LOL! He got mad because I said I didn't believe him, he was just playing hardball because he had also said he promised he would sell it to his uncle if it didn't sell 2 weels ago. I guess if he posts it again I'll probably get one of my friends to buy it for me. Sometimes you just gotta go through the backdoor. LOL!

Archived