Gibson Brands Forums

!New Content Inside! Possible LP Specialcaster project...

Sjael

This thread has changed massively since this original post, and as such I will hide all this old drivel in the following spoiler tag so it's out of the way, but still here if anyone wants it.

So I've been looking at all these dirt-cheap Les Paul Specials coming up on the local auction site, the divine double-cut Les Pauls made by Epi/Gibson/Rondo that you can't buy here, and Gibson's SG-3 with the three single coils.

And I hatched me a devious plan.

The plan was to grab a cheap Epi Les Paul Special-II, cut away the upper bout, thus emulating one of those gorgeous double-cut specials. Step two would be to fill in the Stop Bar holes, and convert the guitar to a string through, just for kicks. Step three, the biggie, involves custom cutting a strat-like pickguard, and (routing for &) mounting a set of strat pickups (real ones or aftermarket, I'm not fussed in this regard.) The final step would be, if the wood looks decent, stain it black for that awesome faded black look that the GT has, otherwise matte black it to match my Explorer. I made a quick sketch for what it would look like at the end:

lestercaster.jpg

Depending on how keen I was, I would make a custom control plate for the top arch, like an acoustic-electric, because I think that'd be frosty. [biggrin]

I have tools and black stain and things, so all I would need to buy new would be the pickguard & pickups, and some string ferrules for the thru-body, and it would end up costing me significantly less than a new LP Special 2, let alone a double-cut version.

My main concern would be whether the neck pocket would stand up to have most of the sides removed, but Warmoth manages it on their LPS body, and even with the crappy plywood Epiphone uses on these, I'm not afraid of bracing it with something more resilient (I have access to cheap laser cutting..) Still, this part will need more research.

So what does everyone think? [biggrin]

Up to date stuff (07/30/2010):

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=198164#post198164

Well people' date=' I've done a lot of pondering, and a lot of idea'ing. Here's the sitch:

I have this Dirty Fingers 'bucker that's going unused because the top of it is munted. I had this great idea to put a cover over it in a LP Jr, so I figured I could take the same approach with a Specialcaster; Add in two hot, covered single coils, and you'd really be cooking with gas. Keeping the white finish of this potential LP Special intact would be a priority, so I'd likely go with the TOM/Stop-tail configuration already in place.

Nom nom? I'll let you decide.

[img']http://sjael.ghost.net.nz/fin2.png[/img]

I think that looks really cool actually. I'm presuming it would be a bolt neck though if you used an Epi, using an LP Special II or similar? One from Rondo would be great I think, already double cut.

I'd quite like a Les Paul Junior myself, a single cutaway with a single bridge P90 (a proper dog ear) and a wrap around tailpiece. Something about the simplicity and primitiveness of that really appeals to me. And I'm in love with bridge pickups at the moment, especially P90s. I'd like to build one myself from parts, but nobody seems to sell bare, flat top, LP type bodies. Or a suitable neck for that matter. Well, not decent ones anyway.

I think that looks really cool actually. I'm presuming it would be a bolt neck though if you used an Epi' date=' using an LP Special II or similar? One from Rondo would be great I think, already double cut.

I'd quite like a Les Paul Junior myself, a single cutaway with a single bridge P90 (a proper dog ear) and a wrap around tailpiece. Something about the simplicity and primitiveness of that really appeals to me. And I'm in love with bridge pickups at the moment, especially P90s. I'd like to build one myself from parts, but nobody seems to sell bare, flat top, LP type bodies. Or a suitable neck for that matter. Well, not decent ones anyway.[/quote']

Hah, wow, I wrote the first paragraph so that it was obvious I was going to mod an Epi LP Special, then rewrote it to add in the gibson and rondo stuff and completely obfuscated that fact. [biggrin]

But yeah, I'd grab one of these Specials that are going for like $150 on trademe and mod it to hell and back! [biggrin]

cool idea with the special 2. But you are modding a plywood guitar. I've seen the neck pockets delaminate one one of these. Making it a double cut would seriously weaken the neck area....

just looked back at your drawing. I expect the body to bend seriusly under string tension. A DC/LP has a long neck tenon, far into the body. Your design has no support for the neck at all.

I love your concept. But you need to think about the neck pocket, and .......plywood.....

Thanks for the positive feedback, people!

cool idea with the special 2. But you are modding a plywood guitar. I've seen the neck pockets delaminate one one of these. Making it a double cut would seriously weaken the neck area....

just looked back at your drawing. I expect the body to bend seriusly under string tension. A DC/LP has a long neck tenon' date=' far into the body. Your design has no support for the neck at all.

I love your concept. But you need to think about the neck pocket, and .......plywood.....[/quote']

I'd invite you to read through my original post, where I did address this exact issue.

Thanks for the positive feedback' date=' people!

I'd invite you to read through my original post, where I [i']did[/i] address this exact issue.

you didn't address it, you casually mention it, and say it needs more reserch.

My thoughts are this. If Epiphone thought a DC/LP would work as a bolt on, with no neck support, it would already be made.

About 20 years ago I tried just such an experiment. The body ended up in the wood stove.

Now if you mod your drawing slightly to give some neck support, I think you have a winner. Without....it might work, or it might not. But there is only one way to find out. Fork over the dough and build it. If it works great. If not.... well you have a neck and a few parts left over anyway....

you didn't address it' date=' you casually mention it, and say it needs more reserch. [/quote']

I think I'm missing something here, I need a check list.

cool idea with the special 2. But you are modding a plywood guitar.
with the crappy plywood Epiphone uses on these' date=' I'm not afraid of bracing it with something more resilient[/quote']
Making it a double cut would seriously weaken the neck area....
My main concern would be whether the neck pocket would stand up to have most of the sides removed
you need to think about the neck pocket
My main concern would be whether the neck pocket would stand up to have most of the sides removed' date=' but Warmoth manages it on their LPS body' date=' and even with the crappy plywood Epiphone uses on these, I'm not afraid of bracing it with something more resilient (I have access to cheap laser cutting..) Still, this part will need more research.[/quote'']

Yep, you pretty much repeated everything I already said, but turned it into your own 'sage advice.'

I do appreciate your input, but I did already talk about all of the points you brought up. I made the thread so I could get input on how to actually make the design work, not how it doesn't work, I'm already well aware of that fact.

ohhhhhh FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!! I am just kidding, why dont you tell him how to do it, maybe the radius of the cut, or how far away he should make it from the neck pocket??? Good ways to brace the pocket to ensure stability???? but i guess since your a pro..., you will have to charge for that info.....its only a $150 dollar cheapie, dont be mad because he beat ya to the idea!!!!!!!!!!(more jokes, I kid I kid)

if you don't want to hear from a guy who earns his living building and modding guitars....... thats ok. Good luck with your project. I'll just avoid this thread so as not to offend........

custom' date=' i think u are taking this wrong. please input to assist if you like. that's one of the joys and perks of this forum. with ur expertise it would be nice to see how u would tackle this one. it is what the orignal poster is requesting.

please keep in mind we all like to see projects on this forum, and most of us are new to it[myself included'] and like to see how those who try them[experience level of various points] get things done, road blocks and all. i think ur advice would be great. so please post if u like.

sjael please keep us posted as u tackle this one. i think the strings threw body is a cool look.

• 4 months later...

I know I'm a little late on this thread, but I was curious if anything became of the project, and sjael, you're a mad genious! I love the idea and would like to know what came of it. I'm finding you'll probably become my friend while I'm in here ;) you've got great ideas and input

I come up with new guitar build ideas every day, so much so that I could never possibly finance them all, unfortunately. I am, however, a crazy designer, and often come up with fanciful designs for all my ideas...

DC-design-2.jpg

[rolleyes]

The stratifying-a-Gibson-shape has been a recurring idea though, I like the idea of the three single coils in just about any guitar shape; there's just something cool about that slanted bridge pickup. :-k

I have been looking to pick up a Les Paul Jr to put my spare Gibson Dirty Fingers in, and who knows, it may just turn into a specialcaster. [biggrin]

I never say no to new friends, either, providing they aren't dicks. Which I have no reason to believe you are. Yet.

Warmoth does offer a flat-top LPS body' date=' if you want to make your budget a bit bigger.[/quote']

Is that a new addition? I swear it wasn't available when I made this thread. [rolleyes]

US$340 shipped for a black korina doublecut body. My word that is tempting. [biggrin]

:-k

I try my best not to be a **** :- I've always been intrigued by the idea of a hum single with a slanted single space in the neck with a stacked rail in the neck, on an explorer or jackson soloist style body. I'm new to guitar design and tinkering but am enjoying it tons

I've always been intrigued by the idea of a hum single with a slanted single space in the neck with a stacked rail in the neck' date=' on an explorer or [b']jackson soloist style body[/b].

Like so?

ABS_CaligulaBB.jpg

Or more like this?

%20jfrog160.jpg

Archived