Gibson Brands Forums

Rewiring/Upgrading components

braden90

Hey, so I Have an Es-335 and I am looking to improve the tone of the guitar. I find it muddy and unclear at times. I have been advised by the wonderful people of Epiphone forums that one good way to go about doing this, even before changing pickups is "Upgrading the electrinics, wiring, pots, etc...." Does any one have any advice as to what i should request, specifically, from a guitar tech to adjust/replace/add/remove in order to improve the tone quality? I'm very new and not so knowledgeable to this area of music so, if at all possible, try to as simple yet specific as possible lol [confused]

Thanks guys

Specifically, replace the potentiometers and tone capacitors. Myself I like to use CTS "pots", not some made in china units, but good 'ol Made in USA. They'll last just about forever. I see alot of guitarists spend extra for bumblebee caps (capacitors), but I don't think you really need to dish out the extra $. Your tech will probably have some good units or can recommend some. And while you're there, I'd have him replace the pickup selector switch, seen a whole lot of the original Epi units go bad, although I myself haven't had any trouble. And probably your out put jack just so you know it's a good one, he has to pull most of that out to get at it anyway, so you might as well just do it all at once. Welcome to the forum by the way. I'm sure if you look around you'll find a whole lot of great info and people here. Use the "search" option also, there's been tons of stuff posted here before.

Post some photo's! Here's a link to a thread explaining how:

Posting Photos

Playing - 3 years

Style - Rock, indie, classic rock (foo fighters, arctic monkeys, Led Zep)

Amp - Orange Dual Terror via Hughes & Kettner cab vith Vintage 30 speakers

Pedals - mainly for deep overdrve, I just use the amp, or I use a Crowther HotCake, EH #1 Echo, MXR Phaser, Thinking about buying a Boss Overdrive/distortion combo, thinking about investing in an MXR EQ pedal

Its an Epiphone model

Archived