Gibson Brands Forums

Humidifying an unplayable acoustic

SGguy

Trying to share a thing that helped me! Damn heat in the house during winter can do some damage.

One Balloon, and a small cup that can fit in your sound hole. Put acoustic in case, loosen all strings (Very very loose), place small cup filled with water or what I do is soak about 3 paper towels, ring them out maybe 50%, put in cup (small plastic food storage cup). Blow balloon up in the middle of the soundhole so half of it is out and half is in. Tighten strings up just a little to put a small amount of pressure on balloon. Then close case, kind of hard to do with a balloon but after a couple tries and putting the balloon back in place it will work. Yeah the balloon gets pushed in till you get it right, but you'll get it. Week later playable acoustic...

Keep in mind...Do not spill the water at ALL inside the guitar. Find a spot where the guitar will not be moved, bumped, looked at, glanced at or even smelled by someone/something. Nobody touches it except you when doing this.

Sponge in a bag works great for maintenance, but he's trying to re-hydrate from kindling dry.

I did something similar with a container of hot water, then closed up the hole with a flat kitchen drain plug.

It's amazing how much better a re-hydrated guitar smells. [biggrin]

I can understand the dangers of a water hanging out in your guitar. I did this on an Ovation that was about to hit the trash bin. No "safe" methods seemed to work on this guitar. I would lay fault to the back of the guitar having no movement. Nothing to lose by doing this method since normal humidifying had no positive outcome. My 7th year owning this guitar is when I had this problem. Took time.

Saw this trick on youtube some time ago and a guy did it with a brand new Gibson acoustic. Sad story it is, guy waits forever to afford this guitar and after the happy purchase it was not playable. If I find the video again I will post it but, if it's in your future to search youtube using this topic as a search you will find it...

Constant upkeep is the obvious solution and do this only after all else has failed. Maybe I should have said this before to not advocate this as a normal habit.

In my experience, wood will only take the water so fast without over saturating it. That's why I just stick with the slow method. It didn't dry out overnight, ya know?

I have however placed the guitar directly in front of a cool air humidifier before in extreme cases.

Archived