Gibson Brands Forums

Orville EO-1

noobguitarist

Okay, so I found a post on here from 2008 in a Google search. Saw that the guy had a guitar identical to mine, just a different finish on it (and it may not have been an EO-1). I did some searching, and I found very little. What I did find was that the EO-1 had a butterfly on the body right under the air hole. Mine does not. This guitar is a Gibson Epiphone Orville Series EO-1. It has the crescent moon and star with the dot underneath it on the head stock. It's Acoustic/Electric with the 9-volt battery plug in for the amplifier. It's the one in the picture. I have more pictures, but I don't know how to post them.

What I'm looking for is information. It's an old guitar I know for sure. It was my uncles first guitar when he was younger, and it was passed down to me. Why does this particular EO-1 have no butterfly? Above all, I'd like to know it's rarity and value. Thanks.

So, obviously the blingier versions are more rare, but did none of the EO-1's have a butterfly? All I truly know about the guitar is what is on it, and that it was my uncle's first guitar. Now he started playing when he was 12 or 13 and is now 51 I believe. So roughly 37 years ago aging it back to at least '73 giving that the guitar would have been brand new. I'm not sure if he bought it new or not. Another odd thing on the guitar is that the serial number has been cover by a new serial number. I read that since sometime in the 90's, I believe, that the serial number's 1st and 5th number was the year, and that the last number indicates the order it was made in or however you would word that. On paintings you have 2/100 indicating it was the second copy made. This would not hold true on my guitar do to the new serial number because the the 1st and 5th numbers are 1 and 3 and the last digit is a J. I know that the guitar is not from 1913. I hope it is though. lol

I really wish I had a history on this guitar do to that serial number. I don't know want to try and peel this new one off because it could ruin the original.

I've seen that ebony guitar before. I looked up the butterfly and found that in a guitar museum. I noticed it was an EO-2 so it ddin't really help my research on my EO-1. I heard somewhere that the EO-1 had the butterfly, but I can't remember where that was. I wish I could give you more information in order to get more myself, but I really can't. If there happens to be anything else at all that you can tell me about the Gibson Epiphone Orville EO-1 I would be grateful. Also, if there's anything else I can tell you about my guitar just by looking at it that would help you out, let me know. I'd like to know as much as possible. Thanks Tommy.

According to this thread:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11228

the EO-x was made from '92 - 2000. I'm fairly certain they were not making this model in 1973. Maybe your uncle's remembry of the history of this guitar is a bit fuzzy.

The headstock shape and logo are a redux of an old.. .really old Gibson headstock and logo.

Well Tommy. You hurt me today, but I thank you for it. I don't see him being fuzzy memoried about his first guitar when he was a boy. I was lied to. He gave it to me probably because it was worthless. If Brianh is right, then it's worth roughyl 150 bucks do to my working amp. Mine was made in Korea as brian said, and it is just 100% identical to the one Shania holds in that picture. Thanks a lot for your time and your help hunting this down. Greatly appreciated.

Doesn't make a great deal of sense to me because the sticker in the sound hole says "Made in Korea" but...

I must have transposed the serial number, because when I plugged it into the GuitarDaterProject, it came up 2001. Go. figure, but based on 'Made in Korea', I know '67 is not possible. In '67, Epiphones were made in Kalamazoo, MI. Then they moved off shore when Norlin bought CMI. Japan was the first stop, then Korea (The year eludes me), then, eventually, China.

See' date=' that's my confusion. It says Korea on the sticker, but Kalamazoo on the site. Did you do some zooming in to get the serial number? It says USA in 67, but like I said, the sticker says Korea for some reason. [/quote']

The guitar dater is by no means infallible. Lots of gaps and inaccurate readings.

The guitardateproject is a wiki of sorts. The originators of it released it with the information they knew. If you have a model that hasn't been input, it will not show up. You can input the number y ou have and other pertinent information so they can update their database. it is a labor of love, so your information will not show up immediately.

Tommy, I'm not sure how to get pictures on here. If you give me an email address or explain how to post I'll surely send you one. The model is in their database (or w/e), and the serial number that is on the guitar came through too saying 67 in Kalamazoo. Unless you can do something else with that info it would be pointless to have. The picture I have of it, or can take of it, might not be to clear. It's a camera phone. I'll see what I can do though if you let me know how to post or get me an address.

Noob, long story short, your guitar was made in Korea like it says on the label. Guitar Dater is not an official Epiphone database, it's just a numerically based algorithm that usually, but not always, spits out correct information.

There are many, many threads on this site about the inconsistent labeling practices of Epiphone after they were bought by Gibson/Norlin et al, just type "label" into the search engine and you will find incredible repositories of information including: http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13965

and: http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13975

and: http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13319

One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this.

- Don Quixote.

This is a test. Thanks Paruwi6172.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8113/pic0103y.jpg

edit: I thought it would put the photo on the site, like he did in that help forum, not just a link. But, this works too. If there's a certain photo you'd like to see that will help YOU help ME with this guitar, please ask and I'll get that up. Thanks everyone.

This is a test. Thanks Paruwi6172.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8113/pic0103y.jpg

edit: I thought it would put the photo on the site' date=' like he did in that help forum, not just a link. But, this works too. If there's a certain photo you'd like to see that will help YOU help ME with this guitar, please ask and I'll get that up. Thanks everyone.[/quote']

To put a visible picture in your post, paste the HTTP code, then highlight the entire code from 'http' through 'jpg'. Then click the icon above the text input window that looks like a mountain with a sun above it.

pic0103y.jpg

Camera phones are notiously bad picture takers if you want to see detail. They are the Kodak Instamatic 110s of the camera world. They may be good phones, but as a camera? eh...

Getting a close-up of the label may be difficult with these multiple task electronic devices are nigh on to impossible.

• 10 months later...

Hi there folks

This acoustic was DEFINITELY made in the 1990s - my uncle also had one and his best friend had the EO-2 which was the higher spec model, but according to him the EO1 sounded far superior especially when unplugged. I lovedthe rounded headstock and remembered it and Facebooked them both to find out what it was so i could try and get one. Anyway, I've JUST bought one on ebay from a guy in Texas and its enroute to England now. He told me however that the preamp cover is missing but that the preamp is an Epiphone IV. I have found no results on this, in the same way that finding the EO-1 or 2 is like finding rocking-horse droppings. If any of you have got a way of sending photos of the electric system to me at s.heald1@barnsley.org it would be greatly appreciated as I try and source a replacement. If it is any help, the EO1 and EO2 are now becoming something of a collectors geetar. Don't part with it easily as there are a lot of people that will try and tell you otherwise! Hope this helps

Irybob in England

post-28802-049441200 1294584986_thumb.jpgpost-28802-039715600 1294585002_thumb.jpgpost-28802-060840500 1294585023_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Well I'm back, 3 years later, and I can STILL not find ANYTHING on my guitar. I still have it, in its case, and I'm looking to sell it, though I want to find some information on it because I won't part with it easily. It's still in the same condition it was in when I first posted about it, which was the same condition it was in when I got this guitar over 10 years ago from my uncle. Gibson Epiphone Orville Series Model EO-1. I can't find one single Gibson Epiphone Orville Series on ebay, much less an EO-1. I Google the thing and I get this, my 3 year old thread, with no new information. I have a million and one email addresses now, so to avoid spam I'll gladly give out an old one, so please, if you have ANY information on this guitar, email me at adamlball@yahoo.com

It was just played about two months ago and again about 2 weeks ago. Still sounds amazing with all parts intact, working, and looking brand new...I'm also pretty confident that it's a 60's model. I'm no pro, and I don't know where to go to have it looked at (only been to one shop and they were as ignorant as I am on the subject), but everything is pointing to the 60's.

Hey noob,

I think the epiwiki is your best source of info on the guitar itself. As for what it's selling for, I can chime in and say a similar pr775, the solid, blinged out version, sold on my local cl recently for $250. Sorry if all this takes the wind out of your sails, a lot of post-Kalamazoo epiphones are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them and not much more

Archived