Gibson Brands Forums

Filtertrons for Elitist Chet Atkins Country Gentlemen

Gunner

Has anyone tried putting Filtertrons in one of these guitars? I understand there are some TV Jones pickups that are drop-in replacements for regular humbuckers' date=' and wonder if any one else has already done this. [/quote']

I've used TV Jones, they're great pickups. If I remember correctly, he has HB sized pickups, but now he also has real sized FTs that will fit on a HB guitar. I think he calls it English Mounted, it's a FT with HB tabs. I believe you have to drill the holes in the FT surround for the screws. In fact, I just Googled it for you and here's a photo:

EM2-kit.gif

english mount is probably correct. that's what i used to drop a powertron plus in a es333. it was a very good idea. an even better idea would be to split it. trust me on this. as for your guitar, two classics would be the standard recommendation, though i think chet models have a supertron at the neck. personally, i'd go classic/classic plus.

and post some photos. as far as i can remember, you are the first elite chet owner i've seen around here.

Will do. Does the English mount require any new screw holes? I'd like to keep this 100% reversible if possible.

Also, any thoughts on how much it will sound like a Gretsch after the pickup replacement? I really like this guitar as is, but with the humbuckers it frankly doesn't sound that much different from some of the other guitars I have. I think it would be cool if I could get some Gretsch tones out of it.

i don't recall the english mount requiring any mods- that's kinda the point of the english mount. then again, i took it to a tech. just shoot tv jones an email to be sure- he'll get back to you in a few days.

given that the pro line gretsches are made in the same factory the elitists were, your chet is, in effect, already a gretsch. kinda. but i wouldn't expect it to sound exactly like a 6120 or an 6118, because, if memory serves, your chet is a semi hollow and not a full hollow.

it should still sound awesome, though. another mod you could consider would be swapping out the bridge for a tru-arc version (sold on the grestch discussion pages). i have a stainless steel one on my 6118t and adore it. maybe the bronze one will give you some more twang.

also, to save a few bucks, you can track down some stock gretsch filter'trons (mij ones, not the mik gretschbucker things). while not as good (or expensive) as the tv jones versions, they are still keepers (with a tru arc bridge installed).

Here are a couple of pics. I was thinking of a 6122 vibe, because I thought that those were semi-hollow, but now I see that they are hollow. Dang! Not sure if I will do it now.

I may check out those Tru-Arc bridges. The stock one that came on this guitar buzzed horribly, so I threw a GFS replacement on there, which so far works pretty well.

Chet1.jpg

Chet2.jpg

Archived