Gibson Brands Forums

New Here and Question regarding Mini Humbucker

Elitist

Thanks for that Gearhead.

The guitar with these pickups is due to arrive "home" in two days so I am just being anxious. Ultimately it comes down to how they sound! I was surprised when I saw that the SD SM-2 Mini Humbucker had a ceramic magnet. I think that might also be a hotter pickup than the 60NY and that's fine.

Gearhead, I can only imagine that "we" here are as "sik" as we are there at every other forum on the web ranging from firearms to knitting needles! I will oblige and only hope that it arrives looking like the beauty that AS90 just posted here with his reply.

AS90, I figured they are the regular Gibson pickups that are spec'd with Alnicos, but part name 60NY was different which was what got me to wondering about the magnet.

There it is! At least the "NYR" designation and that's close enough given the description on Page 8 under Sheraton states the guitar comes with "New York" mini- Humbuckers (as they are calling them).

Thanks Peter.

As promised, here are a couple of pictures.

This guitar plays as well as any of the four Custom Shop Gibson guitars that I have owned. The workmanship is everything we read about. Both sound and response when non-amplified is wonderful in spite of the poly finish. I prefer nitro myself but think that maybe more is made of that than should be regarding Poly finishes adversely affecting sound quality.

Amplified, the guitar sounds great too. I will probably keep these pickups. I like the clarity. Dynamically the guitar works like a jazz guitar so I can play hard on it and it gives back!

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/guitarscameras/guitar%20pics/04-Sheraton-Elitist.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/guitarscameras/guitar%20pics/Epiphone-Sheraton-Elitist.jpg

Guest icantbuyafender
As promised' date=' here are a couple of pictures.

This guitar plays as well as any of the four Custom Shop Gibson guitars that I have owned. The workmanship is everything we read about. Both sound and response when non-amplified is wonderful in spite of the poly finish. I prefer nitro myself but think that maybe more is made of that than should be regarding Poly finishes adversely affecting sound quality.

Amplified, the guitar sounds great too. I will probably keep these pickups. I like the clarity. Dynamically the guitar works like a jazz guitar so I can play hard on it and it gives back!

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/guitarscameras/guitar%20pics/04-Sheraton-Elitist.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/guitarscameras/guitar%20pics/Epiphone-Sheraton-Elitist.jpg[/quote']

i love gibson's minis.

• 4 months later...

I really love my sheraton elitist, too! But I wonder if there are better pickups out there for this guitar. the pick ups are a little noisy, like a single coil... almost microphonic... I notice when you select the middle position (neck and bridge) the hum goes away...

According to posts here the pick up is the same as the current Gibson mini-humbucker. Loller and Duncan also make replacements, but I'm not sure if they'll actually sound better or not. An expensive and difficult experiment for sure.

So any thoughts out there?

[smile]

Noisy???! Hmmmm.....before you buy new ones, or aftermarket replacements, take it to a luthier,

and have him go over it. Might just be a loose wire, or IF they've gone microphonic, they just (usually)

need to we wax potted. I have a AIUSA Sheraton, with mini-humbuckers, and it's dead quiet. I also

have a '76 Gibson LP Deluxe, that the pickups went microphonic on, and sent them in, to have them re-

wired, and wax potted. They didn't need "re-wiring (re-wound)"...just the potting. Cost me less than

50 bucks, including shipping. It now sounds better, than I ever remember it sounding, in the first place.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong, with the stock "Elitist" mini-humbuckers. So, I would have them checked,

and possibly re-potted, or potted to begin with...if they weren't, for some reason. They can check connections,

pots and the toggle switch, while they're at it.

Good Luck! ;>)

CB

Archived