Gibson Brands Forums

you guys wont believe this

Gibson CS

was talking with a baseball coach today

long story short i bought a 1984 fender american strat for 200 bucks

its low action, and bright singlecoil tone- though nice and hendrix-y, cant hold a candle to any gibson

but damn what a deal

its a 57 reissue, american made, and for being non-gibson its pretty nice, wen im in the mood for it

so should i flip it, or keep it

eusa_think.gif

IMG_6761.jpg

Wow! That's an incredible deal! I have an American 57 RI Strat too and I love that guitar; it probably gets played more than any other I own. I replaced the pups in mine though; the stock neck and middle sound great, but the stock bridge pup is insanely bright so I dropped in a custom set by Don Mare. It looks like the pups were replaced in your guitar too.

Here's mine:

stratlp.jpg

should i flip it' date=' or keep it[/quote']

If you don't already have a Strat and don't need the money, you should keep it. You already have several Les Pauls and, realistically, how many do you need? As great as Les Pauls are, they can't get the same sounds that a Strat can and vice versa. I played only my Les Paul for well over 10 years before I bought a Strat and I can't believe I hadn't got one much earlier; they're totally different animals and having a different guitar will open you up and inspire you to write and play in new and different ways. If that Strat is anything like mine, it's an excellent guitar.

More...

As I said above, I played only my LP for a very long time before I bought a Strat and, after I bought it, it took a while to come to terms with the guitar. A Strat sounds and feels very different from an LP and it was difficult for me to get used to the guitar, especially the much brighter tone, and so many times I was tempted to replace the bridge pup with something that sounded more like a humbucker. In the end, I'm very glad I decided to let the guitar be what it is - a Strat - and now I just grab the right tool for the job, either the LP or the Strat or whatever other guitar I think will work best. So, what I'm saying is that if this is your first Strat, live with it for a couple of months to see how you like it before you decide to let it go.

Smoke'n deal I say! I picked my '85 Japanese Strat up for $100.00 bucks but its pretty beat up. Never-the-less it plays awesomely and I love that single coil Strat sound for certain songs. I'll never sell mine.

Flip it, definitely. If you sold it to me for $300 you'd be making a huge profit!:-&

Seriously, nice Strat. You got a great deal. A tip to tame that bright bridge pickup that Rich mentioned...I always rewire Strats to put a tone control on the bridge pickup. It's easy to do and makes a huge difference. A few custom models come wired this way,but most stock strats have no tone control on that pickup.

Flip it' date=' definitely. If you sold it to me for $300 you'd be making a huge profit!=P~

Seriously, nice Strat. You got a great deal. A tip to tame that bright bridge pickup that Rich mentioned...I always rewire Strats to put a tone control on the bridge pickup. It's easy to do and makes a huge difference. A few custom models come wired this way,but most stock strats have no tone control on that pickup. [/quote']

You know, even with mine rewired like that, I still find that tone control to be fairly useless. What happens with my guitar is that, yes, it rolls off the high frequencies bit rather than just taming the brightness, it makes it sound muddy. Then again, I replaced the stock pickups as they even brighter than what I have in there now.

Rich, I think thats inherent in all those Fenders. My Telecaster did the same thing, even after swapping pickups (Nuno Hotrail/bridge, Duncan something-or-other/neck). Had a push/pull for the neck to split it, made that pickup worse.

You know' date=' even with mine rewired like that, I still find that tone control to be fairly useless. What happens with my guitar is that, yes, it rolls off the high frequencies bit rather than just taming the brightness, it makes it sound muddy. Then again, I replaced the stock pickups as they even brighter than what I have in there now.[/quote']

Yeah that can muddiness happen. Mine works well with the tone on 5 or 6 if the volume is full up (which it usually is). Also if the pots are 500k it can be exceedingly bright. I figure since it's a nicer strat they would be 250k. If not they should be. I swapped mine and it was like getting a new guitar. No more ice pick!

$200?!?! that is an amazing deal! congrats! yea like the older posts, definitely keep it unless you really need the cash which you could def sell back out for way more than u bought it for. maybe i should go to some baseball games and see if anybody's willing to sell me their guitars for ridiculously great prices...good strategy.

i see it like this

that nitro cellulose makes for an excellent playing guiar

i have an 80s mexican strat that i enjoy, and im gonna miss this strat

but if i can get 2 K for it

and just hang on to these babies

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0271.jpg

More...

As I said above' date=' I played only my LP for a very long time before I bought a Strat and, after I bought it, it took a while to come to terms with the guitar. A Strat sounds and feels very different from an LP and it was difficult for me to get used to the guitar, especially the much brighter tone, and so many times I was tempted to replace the bridge pup with something that sounded more like a humbucker. In the end, I'm very glad I decided to let the guitar be what it is - a Strat - and now I just grab the right tool for the job, either the LP or the Strat or whatever other guitar I think will work best. So, what I'm saying is that if this is your first Strat, live with it for a couple of months to see how you like it before you decide to let it go.[/quote']

Hear, hear!

Great bargain. I can barely believe it. AND with a case!! God has truly smiled upon you, Jessenoah! This is truly a sign...

Rich' date=' I think thats inherent in all those Fenders. My Telecaster did the same thing, even after swapping pickups (Nuno Hotrail/bridge, Duncan something-or-other/neck). Had a push/pull for the neck to split it, made that pickup worse.[/quote']

Hey G&F,

I put a set of Bareknuckle 'Yardbird' pickup on my Tele. Oh Mama!

was talking with a baseball coach today

long story short i bought a 1984 fender american strat for 200 bucks

story time

im a baseball umpire, i was talking with one of the coaches. i gave him a copy of my demo album, im a pretty well respected umpire, and people always give me a hard time about my hair, then i go through the whole story about rock and roll=image=long hair

blah blah

so anyway one of the coaches grandfather played guitar, he inherited it-didnt need it

i told him it was a nice guitar, upwards of 2 grand, he wasnt using it, and rather i had it, 200 in his hand, POP

thats the kinda short story version

lol

but if i can get 2 K for it

I highly doubt you'll get that much for it. By the looks of it, the pickups have been replaced so it's not all original, you can still buy that model new today for less than $1500 and Fender has made lots of them over the years. You got the deal of a life time, but I wouldn't expect to make a mint off of it.

Archived