Gibson Brands Forums

you guys wont believe this

Gibson CS

Nice score! Everybody needs at least one strat so hang on to it. The only negative is that 1984 was the last year that CBS owned Fender. CBS/Fender = Norlin/Gibson. The CBS Fenders are generally considered the worst years although there were still some really nice guitars made then.

With all due respect, I wouldn't go jumping to the conclusion that the pickups were replaced just from the photo. they experimented with parchment and aged white plastic and white covers back then. Do a little research on a site that's a little less biased, and you can confirm the rarity of these guitars. Around that time there was no USA production to speak of except for a few reissues that were considered on the order of a Custom Shop build - this is right after the management bought the company back from CBS and they turned to offshore sources to keep supplying the market while they got things up and running with new production here. As I recall they only purchased the leftover parts and stock (and the name of course) but did not get any manufacturing facilities or tooling in the deal.

So, whatcha got there, my friend, is one of the very first post-CBS Fenders and you should keep it until people forget there might have been quality problems or the features weren't what everyone wanted, then it'll be worth a bundle. Besides it's a pretty guitar. Have it set up professionally by someone familiar with bolted-together guitars (that comment ought to placate you Gib-o-philes and compensate for any Strat-love that I'm not able to hide for purposes of this forum) and see if she speaks to you before considering a quick flip.

With all due respect' date=' I wouldn't go jumping to the conclusion that the pickups were replaced just from the photo. they experimented with parchment and aged white plastic and white covers back then.[/quote']

It isn't the color. If you look closely at the bridge and middle pickup, you can see writing on the bridge side of the G, B, and high E pole pieces. Definitely not stock.

dont know what that is

Pups are stock, there is no writing, and no new soldiers

but having the truss rod adjustment @ the body is kinda gay, but i got a good look @ the inside of the Pickgaurd

but Pups are stock

i see it like this

that nitro cellulose makes for an excellent playing guiar

i have an 80s mexican strat that i enjoy' date=' and im gonna miss this strat

but if i can get 2 K for it

and just hang on to these babies

[img']http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc42/Jbaseball_2004/DSCF0354.jpg[/img]

DSCF0271.jpg

Telecasters are the bomb.

With all due respect' date=' I wouldn't go jumping to the conclusion that the pickups were replaced just from the photo. they experimented with parchment and aged white plastic and white covers back then. Do a little research on a site that's a little less biased, and you can confirm the rarity of these guitars. Around that time there was no USA production to speak of except for a few reissues that were considered on the order of a Custom Shop build - this is right after the management bought the company back from CBS and they turned to offshore sources to keep supplying the market while they got things up and running with new production here. As I recall they only purchased the leftover parts and stock (and the name of course) but did not get any manufacturing facilities or tooling in the deal. [/quote']

That photo I posted earlier in this thread is my American Vintage 57 Reissue Strat so I wasn't going from a web site, I was using my own guitar for comparison. It's hard to make you in the bright light, but the parts are parchment colored. Fender didn't just experiment with it, they've been making those parts tinted for years. The tipoff on the pickups is that they have text printed on them, not the coloring.

My 57 RI:

stratlp.jpg

Here is the picture of Jesse's Strat enhanced to better view the text:

2qb7uir.jpg

Another sign might be the shape of the pole pieces which don't appear to be beveled as they are on a 57 RI although Fender might not have been doing that yet when Jesse's guitar was being made.

dont know what that is

Pups are stock' date=' there is no writing, and no new soldiers

but having the truss rod adjustment @ the body is kinda gay, but i got a good look @ the inside of the Pickgaurd

but Pups are stock[/quote']

What is that on the pickups in the picture then, Jesse? It looks like writing.

Nice deal, that's a good for mostly any Strat above a MIM Standard. I'd love to get a 57 Hot Rod, personally I love the tone of single coils, but hate the hum. My Highway One has Hot Noiseless pickups and a Super Distortion and my MIM has a Hot Noiseless in the bridge.

I don't know' date=' kinda' looks like these...

[img']http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/9/2/437092.jpg[/img]

I use Hot Noiseless neck and middle in my Highway One Strat with a Super Distortion in the bridge and it sounds awesome. I put the Hot Noiseless bridge in my MIM Strat with a Seymour Duncan Vintage in the neck and Twand Banger in the middle. Noiseless single coils are awesome... to make this Les Paul related, how is the P-100? I love the P-90 in my BFG, but the hum sucks. Does it sound like a P-90 or a humbucker? I'm debating switching the P-90 with a P-100 and the BB3 with something hotter, wax potted and Gibson, I'm thinking the 500T (zebra) or Dirty Fingers. The BB3 is great, but something a bit hotter (and quieter) may suit me better. Any thoughts on any of those pickups?

$200 ??! DOH!!!!! :)

well, i got one US strat deluxe plus of 1993, i was about to sell it as my fingers does no longer play well on strat necks since i went Gibson (ES-175 and Flying V), but the dude at the store told me, after examining it : "Do not ever think of selling it!, i know you can make some cash on it, but if you ever would want to get a "strat" of the same quality now days, ull have to pay really HIGH"

Apparently Fender changed the type of wood, and that type of wood they used to make guitars in 1993 is no longer available

I have changed its original Lace sensor pickups set with LOLLAR "Vintagestrat" set, and the difference was astonishing and now my strat truly BLOWS! and yes, i definetely KEEP IT

and yes, thats a definitely nice score. that 1984 strat in such a condition can sell around $2,500-3,000 easily

Around that time there was no USA production to speak of except for a few reissues that were considered on the order of a Custom Shop build - this is right after the management bought the company back from CBS and they turned to offshore sources to keep supplying the market while they got things up and running with new production here.

So' date=' whatcha got there, my friend, is one of the very first post-CBS Fenders and you should keep it until people forget there might have been quality problems or the features weren't what everyone wanted, then it'll be worth a bundle. Besides it's a pretty guitar. Have it set up professionally [/quote']

Bobv is right on the money.

I got out my copy of The Stratocaster Chronicles by Tom Wheeler for reference.

Book says CBS was trying to unload Fender in 1984 and got zero offers to buy, it was Feb. 1 of '85 at the big NAAMM show that Bill Schultz announced the employees were buying the company for 12.5 million dollars.

They were already making huge improvements in the line, got rid of some of the horrid crap CBS had designed and returned the focus to what had made them famous. New Fender managers realized all the big name Strat guys were NOT playing new Strats, preferring what would become "vintage" guitars.

With the sell out, the Fender factory shut down in late '84, completely locked up in Feb '85.

They had some old stock for parts, but were importing almost everything from Fuji Gen-Gakki.

They rented a warehouse for inventory, and looked around for 8 months before putting a little factory in Corona, CA.

In only 14,000 square feet, they started building 7-10 guitars a day, all vintage reissues, on some of the most modern equipment money could buy, in October of 1985.

Serial numbers are suspect in this period because of old parts sitting around for a long time, your guitar may not have been built until this time frame.

Whatever the case, you hit a bases-loaded, grand slam home run with this one.

The hard part;

Do you sell it and make some money? Here's your chance.....

You'll NEVER see another deal like this. Never.

Strats are killer guitars, no doubt.

I have 3 of 'em.

Archived