Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Trouble

Z

I'd look and be sure all the frets are flush against the fretboard. My G400 had a couple that weren't seated properly and buzzed. Shouldn't be any air in between. Place a ruler or maybe the edge of a credit card across the frets in question and see if it rocks back and forth.

I'd look and be sure all the frets are flush against the fretboard. My G400 had a couple that weren't seated properly and buzzed. Shouldn't be any air in between. Place a ruler or maybe the edge of a credit card across the frets in question and see if it rocks back and forth.

Mate, I agree with gearhead. You could have some air on the upper frets. Using a credit card to cover a couple of frets and do the rocking thing should identify which fret is perhaps high. Fret dressing would always help, so if you don't feel competent, take it to a guitar tech for an assessment.

The 19 and 20th frets are buzzing when played acoustically on my Les Paul and you can still hear it barely through the amp. Any suggestions on whats wrong?

It doesn't matter if you mean "Les Paul by Gibson" OR "Les Paul by EPI",

fret buzz on HIGHER frets generally suggests either a "Backbowed" neck

or action set too low. Went thru this issue recently on a "project guitar".

The neck of the git, and specifiacally the truss rod (being made of METAL) is

"sensitive" to temperature changes - COLD makes metal shrink, causing your

neck to "backbow", when WARMER, the truss rod expands, causing your neck

to "bend" forward, therefore slightly raising the action, and blowing your

intonation adjustments to hell in a handbasket.

I just recently did a "Winter" adjustment to my EPI LP's - colder temps in the

house caused my gits to slightly backbow, will have to re-do in spring/summer.

I used an 18" machinist's straight edge, placed on entire fretboard, and gradually

tweaked my truss rod (using gradual turns) until neck was basically "straight", THEN

set my action to 4/64ths Low E, 3/64ths Hi E. If you've never done your own set ups,

it's not so hard, just need to have the confidence to try, and ask lots of questions/do research

BEFORE attempting. If you're not sure, ask questions HERE before attempting, one of us

will answer.

Anyway, regarding a "backbowed" neck (sounds like your problem, but I'm not there to see it),

LOOSENING the truss rod about 1/4 turn (righty tighty, lefty loosey), then letting the git sit for

a few hours to allow the rod and neck wood to adjust MAY help alleviate your problem. After

making adjust, tune your guitar BACK to pitch. After settling in, your string pitch should be

a bit FLAT, as the neck has "moved" torward the front of the guitar. Re-tune, check for

Fret-buzz again. IF it's still there, maybe your "preferred" action (string distance from fretboard)

may be too low. AGAIN, post results, many informed folks on this forum, we MAY be able to

help you.

I recommend that you start collecting a "book" of personal favorites regarding "guitar stuff" -

Print it if you can, save in a 3=ring binder, very useful... I've probably left a lot of stuff unanswered,

but as you can see, on this forum we WILL try to help you!!!! Good luck, post results!!!!

Here is a link to a basic tutorial regarding neck adjustments...

http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml

Archived