Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Emperor intonation

tpntx

I got a '90 Emperor I think its a regent. Don't see many of them just like this one.

I've never had a guitar like this so I'm a pretty unfamiliar with them.

I noticed there is no individual intonation adjustment so I figured like an acoustic the saddle was fixed. When i took the strings off I realized it isn't fixed it just sits on the top.

There is some discoloration where is was so I can probably get right back in the same position but I don't know for sure that it was absolutely right to begin with.

I had some fret buzz so I raised the saddle and it seemed hard to tune after that. Dont know for sure.

So my question is do you just move the saddle around by hand until you get it right them mark it?

It seems strange to me that it's neither fixed or adjustable other that being able to slide it around.

I meant bridge and not saddle and i read somewhere already that you should change your strings one at a time so the bridge doesn't fall off.

So that answers that question.

Btw this 90's model can't be a regent. Its more like a broadway witha different tailpiece. Pretty sweet guitar.

This is a typical bridge design for a jazz guitar. I usually use masking tape to mark the position of the bridge base before removing it, but if you intonate the high and low E strings when replacing (so that the twelfth fret note sounds the same as the harmonic at the twelfth fret, the rest should be fine too.

A non-adjustable bridge doesn't lose as much string energy to moving parts (and never gets the annoying buzzes and rattles that an adjustable can sometimes do), and a wooden bridge has a warmer sound than a metal one. I replaced the wooden bridge on my Broadway with a Tune-O-Matic adjustable and prefer the brighter sound on that guitar, but I've left the wooden one on my Joe Pass Emperor II.

thanks. I really didn't know how much I would love this guitar. I had a spare acoustic and this guy offered to trade this epiphone and cash for it. I turned down the offer at first then decided to go for it.

Along with the case it has an inspection paper from korea dated 1990. Looking more closely it is almost identical to the Joe Pass model in appearance. I don't think it's ever been played. No marks on the pick guard no wear on the fret board at all. Some of the gold cladding has faded but that goes with the age.

the only difference I can find appearance wise from the JP is the 3 way is below the strings not above and the pick ups are different.

All it says is emperor /n

the only difference I can find appearance wise from the JP is the 3 way is below the strings not above and the pick ups are different.

All it says is emperor /n

The pickups should be the same as a JP. When Joe came onboard, he had the switch moved to the upper horn, thus the emperor II was introduced.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=9&CollectionID=1

If memory serves, The Emperor should be a 24 3/4" scale, or close to that. While the strings are loose, measure from the nut to the string contact point on the bridge, then check your intonation. I've had to slide my bridge around based on what strings I use, so that measurement isn't a hard fast rule.

Enjoy your new toy.

BTW Flat wounds, D'addairo Chromes work really well for me. 12's minimum.

Archived