Gibson Brands Forums

SG with one master volume, rather than two?

adhok

Hi--Does anybody have experience or opinions about having one master volume rather than two on an sg? I know there's a Gibson model that has two pickups, but one vol and one tone knob. (kind of like a telecaster, I suppose). Does anybody think this would limit the variety of blending the two pickups? I find two volumes to be a bit more confusing than one (after having played primarily a tele, and one pickup jazz guitars). I'm considering wiring modifications, but I wonder what people's opinions are. thanks, as always--

Yes, you can find Gibsons (the lower-price range models, I mean) with 1 vol - 1 tone control. It is somewhat limiting, but then again, if you are not using them much, it's up to you.

However, I think it will take you only a few days to instantly feel where your playing-pickup's controls are, and you will be able to adjust them pretty quickly. Especially the tone controls, normally they are something that you adjust once, depending on your amp / pedals / desired tone and forget about it. So you're left with the vol. controls. It can't be too confusing man...

I've got a 3 pup guitar with one vol, one tone, but has a switch for each pup on/off and a switch for each pu to reverse phase .... don't feel limited in this case, as there are a ton of tonal variations, even with the single vol and tone pots.

Can't speak for a 2 pup config, I guess...

i just bought a gibby sg w/ 3 pups' date=' and one tone one vol, I dont feel that my tonal options are limited, but I really dont use my tone knobs that much, A tele is my preferd guitar or choice so this setup is very familiar and easy to use for me heres my new toy!

[img']http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9474/0000001is.jpg[/img]

[biggrin] [biggrin]

I personally think that two knobs for each pickup (4 knobs in total) is better than having only 2 master ones. The reason is that you can blend the sounds you make with a greater palette. For example, my friend who plays an Ibanez with 2 humbuckers says that he likes to blend the sound of each pickup (ie, have the pickup selector in-between rhythm and treble). He makes the rhythm pickup louder than the treble to make a 'warm' sound.

Also, if you want to change your volume right after a solo or something, having 2knobs/pickup is better than having 2 master knobs.

However, if you're like me, and mostly use one pickup (I used to use rhythm until I needed a higher output for pinch harmonics, and started using treble), master knobs shouldn't pose a problem.

Archived