Gibson Brands Forums

cotton towel scratches Nitrocelluose!?

Andrew

my first mistake a few weeks ago was to use paper towel...only to read the next day "DON"T USE IT!". it's true...don't!.

so i got a bag of "soft" 100% cotton utility towels from costco thinking they would be good to wipe up my guitar after use...last night i scrubbed (rather hard i guess) the top to get rid of that greasy whitish arm haze..and dammit if the thing didnt actually scratch the finish!! a cotton towel! now that i think about it the towel though 100% cotton is rather coarse.

so my month old j-45 is covered in fine swirls in the finish, cant really see them at a glance but they're there.

is Nitrocelluose really this delicate?? i cant get too picky about scratches (mojo right?) and i like using things..not babying them, but that really surprised me. what should i use...microfiber? is there anything can use to buff out the scratches? should i bother?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so my month old j-45 is covered in fine swirls in the finish' date=' cant really see them at a glance but they're there.

is Nitrocelluose really this delicate?? i cant get too picky about scratches (mojo right?) and i like using things..not babying them, but that really surprised me. what should i use...microfiber? is there anything can use to buff out the scratches? should i bother?

[/quote']

If it's a new guitar, it will take some time for the finish to fully cure. There are several things that will take out the scratches left behind by the cotton towel, but I think I'd wait a couple of months before trying them.

If it's a new guitar' date=' it will take some time for the finish to fully cure. There are several things that will take out the scratches left behind by the cotton towel, but I think I'd wait a couple of months before trying them. [/quote']

will do, thanks

Definitely DO NOT use cotton. I made the same mistake before. Microfibre is the only cloth I have found that will not scratch, flannel works pretty well too, but tends to leave some smear behind. I am using microfibre on my new Blues King and no worries :-) I keep a microfibre in all my cases, they are washable too. I use a swirl and scratch remover that works good for the light scratches and hazing. You can polish those towel scratches back out, it may take a few attempts but just be patient and they will come out.

Definitely DO NOT use cotton. I made the same mistake before. Microfibre is the only cloth I have found that will not scratch' date=' flannel works pretty well too, but tends to leave some smear behind. I am using microfibre on my new Blues King and no worries :-) I keep a microfibre in all my cases, they are washable too. I use a swirl and scratch remover that works good for the light scratches and hazing. You can polish those towel scratches back out, it may take a few attempts but just be patient and they will come out.[/quote']

great thanks!

Also watch that your not pressing with any fingernails as you buff... I did that by accident on the headstock of my Taylor. Lucky they came out with some virtuoso swirl remover...

I tend to prefer the Microfiber but also keep a supply of cotton baby diapers around. They are cheap and after they have been washed a few times they work great. Just remember to keep any fabric softner out of the washer when you wash them. Just water works great and after a few cycles they are soft as a baby's bottom!!! They don't hurt the finish at that point either.

Also watch that your not pressing with any fingernails as you buff... I did that by accident on the headstock of my Taylor. Lucky they came out with some virtuoso swirl remover...

I tend to prefer the Microfiber but also keep a supply of cotton baby diapers around. They are cheap and after they have been washed a few times they work great. Just remember to keep any fabric softner out of the washer when you wash them. Just water works great and after a few cycles they are soft as a baby's bottom!!! They don't hurt the finish at that point either.

yeah im definitely going to grab some microfiber cloths.

Proof again that traditional and more expensive is not all together better.

Too... one has to wonder if the Costco supplier what is providin' the rags are diligent about makin' sure 100% cotton is all cotton. I think polyester scratches and if there's some poly mixed in.... What with all the non-compliant food, toys, pet feed, etc. coming from the Pac Rim.. It has to make one wonder. I would have thought cotton would be scratchless, but you never know anymore.

I use the soft yellow cloths I get at the dollar stores. They used to come 3 to a pack for a buck, but with the cost of everything goin' up, you now get either 2 or only 1 for your "bone". 'Course, I don't have anything with fancy, dancy nitro finish on it, so don't go by me.

good thread....I had just noticed this "arm haze" on my guitar and was a little bit horrified when it didn't promptly come up with some cleaner I have...I realize with use that dirt,scuffs and scratches will come but you know the so called first cut is the deepest and I'm not quite ready for that to happen.....i'll have to go purchase above recomended products and leave the paper towels for the kitchen

thanks gang

You bunch of sissy-marys. It's a guitar! What' date=' did you think it was going to remain shiny forever? After you've bumped it into your coffee table a few times the goofy little swirls won't bother you anymore.

[img']http://www.voguehost.com/ims/u/sminmt/Grandad/DSC00587.JPG[/img]

Just take a pair of imported undies, spray a light mist of water on them, then rub away. That guitar will look like it just walked out of the showroom. They say the delicate undies that soccer players in Kent wear are preferable to the heavier grade that are worn by American football players. Anyway, no harm in trying. There might even be someone on this very forum who could help you out with this! (And, Bob's his uncle!)

You goofballs. Actually that guitar belongs to one of the posters on the UMGF discussion board. It's a 1946 J-45 and is one of the most beautiful guitars in existence IMHO.

Actually' date=' I also love that guitar. If I owned it, I'd sit down and learn every song on Springsteen's "Devils and Dust" album. I wouldn't do a thing to it, it's a beaut the way it is. [/color']

After my goof with Mosquito spray (Deet) I am afraid that my AJ will likely look like that in a few years... although ever AJ from the 1903's I have seen in photos looks pretty much like that too and they are still worth over $30,000!

Maybe I should go play my Gibby a few more nights at the fire pit!

i am going to the shop right now to buy polish and a cloth. i hope the polish doesn't kill the scent of the guitar. my SWD's scent actually stays on me after i play it - like its marking it's territory.

I thought the scent was the rosewood but someone told me it was the finish? My 335 which is just as new has a different smell.

I use a non silicon furniture polish and a duster when I can be bothered. Works for me.

Just take a pair of imported undies' date=' spray a light mist of water on them, then rub away. That guitar will look like it just walked out of the showroom. They say the delicate undies that soccer players in Kent wear are preferable to the heavier grade that are worn by American football players. Anyway, no harm in trying. There might even be someone on this very forum who could help you out with this! (And, Bob's his uncle!)[/color']

Tw, I think he may still be slightly hung-over.

Archived