Gibson Brands Forums

Another $99 dollar tube amp!

cGil

So it's basically a Valve Junior? And frankly it's ugly. Seriously, the Tiny Terror looks like some kind of old car battery charger, but at least it does it in a cool way. That thing just looks cheap and nasty.

Meh...

"The new Defender 5-watt guitar head has one knob—volume. But the fun lies in hearing what this knob does as you slowly turn it up. Starting in the counter-clockwise position, you'll move through clean and clear tube tones to progressively dirtier sounds until this little sucker is just plain screaming."

Awesome! I did not know that one knob was such a desirable feature!

I must figure out how to disable all the other knobs on my amps....

"The new Defender 5-watt guitar head has one knob—volume. But the fun lies in hearing what this knob does as you slowly turn it up. Starting in the counter-clockwise position' date=' you'll move through clean and clear tube tones to progressively dirtier sounds until this little sucker is just plain screaming."[/i']

LOL! =D

I think it looks pretty cool, though I can't say that the world really needed yet another SE amp with EL84 output. Still, if they designed the circuit properly, it'll sell a lot at $99, I'm sure.

I keep wondering when one of these mass-marketeers is going to bring a SE el34 to the table. A SE el34 is markedly more impressive than either SE 6v6 or el84, and such an amp would instantly be set apart from the pack. For the life of me, I don't understand why nobody has run with it.

"The new Defender 5-watt guitar head has one knob—volume. But the fun lies in hearing what this knob does as you slowly turn it up. Starting in the counter-clockwise position' date=' you'll move through clean and clear tube tones to progressively dirtier sounds until this little sucker is just plain screaming."[/i']

That's funny.

I like the looks of it, though. It's different from all the other retro-inspired TV style amps. It looks like something someone made at home from some RadioShack parts. I'd like to see what the matching cab will look like.

Red 333

Yeah, a few years ago I bought a Kustom Profile-One mini PA system. The MF catalog said that it was stereo which is what I wanted. But when I opened up the box I was very disappointed to discover that it was mono. For a long time afterward they didn't correct the error in their catalogs. But who knows, maybe no one ever brought it to their attention. I know that I didn't. I ended up keeping it.

A 30w speaker might sound better with the lower wattage head, but I'd be concerned that only the baffle board of the Kustom speaker cab is plywood. I've got a Kustom BA30 combo cab (maybe 10 years old) that's made the same way (particle board), and it's starting to fall apart in this Florida humidity. Same with a 20 year old pair of particle board Jensen home stereo speakers up in my attic. YUK! The VJr's birch plywood extension cab is a much better option, even if it does cost a little more.

Gil...

Guest icantbuyafender

Id get it just to run it in stereo with my Vjr.

That'll free up my Lil Giant Blackheart head so I can move it to my bedroom for when i want more versatility than the killer ant head gives.

But, damn, it looks like an old VCR tape player. In fact i think i had one that looked just like that :-

• 1 month later...

From today's inbox:

We are temporarily out of stock on the item(s) noted below, but have more on order with the manufacturer. We will ship them to you as soon as we receive them. We sincerely appreciate your patience.

If you have any questions regarding this order or need help, please visit our Customer Help Center where you can email questions and view our knowledge base. Or if you prefer, call 800-776-5173 to speak to a customer service representative between the hours of 4:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m. PT 7 days a week.

Sincerely,

Musician's Friend Customer Service

P.O. Box 4370

Medford, OR 97501

Should hold em' or fold 'em?

I think it looks pretty cool' date=' though I can't say that the world really needed yet another SE amp with EL84 output. Still, if they designed the circuit properly, it'll sell a lot at $99, I'm sure.

I keep wondering when one of these mass-marketeers is going to bring a SE el34 to the table. A SE el34 is markedly more impressive than either SE 6v6 or el84, and such an amp would instantly be set apart from the pack. For the life of me, I don't understand why nobody has run with it. [/quote']

Is THIS what you mean?

New from Blackstar Engineering...........HT Studio 20 (head or combo)

2x ECC83s & 2x EL34s

Sorry, I still havent learned how to post links.

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-20h.html

Archived