Gibson Brands Forums

Strat sound for dot?

Sklivas

I'm looking for a more strat-style sound out of my dot, but i'm not sure how I can do this. The most obvious way wound be to change pickups. Any ideas? I'd like to keep it simple, so no vari-tone curcuits or anything... just something someone with limited wiring skills (and budget) would be able to acomplish... thx [cool]

true... I'd like to get both sounds out of the one guitar, probably strat off the bridge and leave the standard humbucker in the neck... and as stupid as it sounds, 2 guitars would not work for me right now [cool]

hey,

im curious as to what you mean by strat like tone.

do you mean 'thinner' and "twangier" cos if thats the case i would say play right next to your bridge.

The Dot's scale length is shorter then a strat so that could play a role in the strat's tone.

first, thx for the suggestion(s)!

by more strat-like I guess I mean twangier... I (or at least try my best to) play a lot of clapton and that style of music. I'd like to have a more "piercing" sound if that makes any sense.

idk of anyone who has tapped them

if you want a single coil tone i would suggest GFS Dream 90s

ive heard them described as a "strat pup in a humbucker housing"

or the Mean 90 (which i have and LOVE) for a little more ballsy P90 tone

sorry options are endless.

I personally have TV Jones Classic pickups in my Dot to get this sort of sound

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoG62Wi8twU

you can google Gibson wiring diagrams for a few different ways to tap a hummer to single coil..........I did it on my old GLP once, simply de-activated half the p'up (no toggle, full time single) but restored it to origional after a cpl of yrs.

You need a four wire lead to do a coil tap... My Schecter has Duncan designed humbuckers with a coil tap switch. It does seem to give the guitar more Strat like tones when tapped, especially in the middle position you can get a little bit of the Strat Quack and chime. While it is close, it ain't no cigar.... You can get the Tele "Twang" better than the Strat "Quack" if you know what I mean. I like having the options with the coil tap, but if your looking for true Strat tones, I think you may come up short on a Dot with coil tapping.

Have you thought about getting a pedal of some sort? Wiring/pickup modifications in semi's and hollowbodies are not as easy as in solidbodies and if you get a pro to do it, you're probably going to end up spending as much as a basic pedal anyway. I use one call the Janglebox, which is a compressor/sustainer designed for a jangle-ish vibe, but it's a little expensive. If you're a "bedroom player" right now, you might want to consider some kind of modeler, like that little Pocket Pod or something like that to start with. They're pretty versatile.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.

I bought a Chinese Squier Strat for £40, whacked in some full size Alpha pots, Sprague orange drop cap, new input jack and switch and gave it a good setup. I now have an great playing Strat (with all the 'stratty' tones you need) which cost me £55 in total.

I bought a Chinese Squier Strat for £40' date=' whacked in some full size Alpha pots, Sprague orange drop cap, new input jack and switch and gave it a good setup. I now have an great playing Strat (with all the 'stratty' tones you need) which cost me £55 in total.[/quote']

Now that sounds like a problem solver......[biggrin]

Just stick a GFS "Mean 90" in the bridge position , and be done with it. Believe me, this is you're best and cheapest option.

Or, maybe reverse that. Put a neck position "Mean 90" in the neck and leave the better of the 2 Epi HB's in the bridge.

Faded...

I suspect that the Clapton sound you want is the sound of 2 single coils out of phase...the sound you get at positions 2 and 4 on a 5 way Strat switch (eg the Layla album sound). You need a guitar with at least 2 single coil pups to get that tone...it's not going to happen for you on a Dot. Wrong tool for the job. A Dot with single coil at bridge and humbucker at neck isn't going to work. The bridge would sound weak and out of balance. If you're on a limited budget sell the Dot and buy a Squier Strat with a 5 way switch.

Archived