Gibson Brands Forums

my new paul

Z

unless you have a tube amp your pickups are probably fine.

i have played plenty of Ephiphones on good amps and they sound perfectly fine, let alone les pauls. If it is matter of tone that is very selective thing but honestly you just got it and your a noob so how could you tell.

Unless you have a reason why you want to change the pickups and know exactly what you would like to be different with a new set up pickups (besides saying "creamy" - I'm going to strangle the next jagoff who uses that adjective) then no, don't change them. Gibson makes good pickups and anything after that is just a mater of personal taste.

What model is it again?

Get a case if it didnt come with one. If it came with one, you can get a case and so decieve your friends about the number of guitars you have.. I think I read somewhere that you can do magic tricks with two cases and only one guitar.

the definition of creamy-

adj. soft and liquid-like' date=' blended texture, everypickup except for the 490-498 pickup set

=D> [/quote']

What exactly does "soft and liquid-like" sound like? Is there a specific frequency range where the magic cream resides? Whatever it sounds like, I must not like "creamy" (the sound as opposed to the adjective which is second only to "brown" when it comes to trying to sell every bit of guitar-related snake oil on the market) as I love the sound of the 490/498 set in my CS Custom.

Z' date=' how old are you? Just out of curiosity.

Yes, I think you should change the pick ups.

Go to your local music store and say give me you best pick ups, please...and they will...no joke![/quote'] im 11

11? Alrighty then, I'll quite being mean.

Honestly, don't change your pickups. People generally start changing things on their guitar when they are not happy with the way it sounds or want to capture a specific sound. No offense, but you're probably a bit too young to know what you want right now. Just play it, enjoy it and crank the amp!

Congrats on your new guitar, but this isn't the right place for you to be asking questions about it. It's an Epiphone, right? There's an entirely separate forum, which is Epiphone Les Paul specific. If you start asking questions about your Epi here, most people won't be able to answer you because we don't really the same guitar as you do. Although, they look the same, they're not.

I heard Tim getting wound up all the way out here. You did good Tim, good advise. Z Don't change just for the sake of changing. I am curious why they did not give you some sort of case when you left the store. =D> They should at least given you a gig bag. Enjoy your new guitar, we'll be seeing you here in the future showing off your new 59.

the definition of creamy-

adj. soft and liquid-like' date=' blended texture, everypickup except for the 490-498 pickup set

=D> [/quote']

What exactly does "soft and liquid-like" sound like? Is there a specific frequency range where the magic cream resides? Whatever it sounds like, I must not like "creamy" (the sound as opposed to the adjective which is second only to "brown" when it comes to trying to sell every bit of guitar-related snake oil on the market) as I love the sound of the 490/498 set in my CS Custom.

By the way, Jesse, I'm not trying to bust your balls and I apologize to you if it seemed that way. I just get frustrated with some of the buzz words that get thrown around - especially when someone buys a new guitar and immediately asks about swapping in different pickups or this or that. My first reaction is "Well, why the f' did you buy that guitar if you didn't like the way it sounds or feels to begin with?" I know now that the guys is young but it still makes no sense to me to buy a guitar if you don't know what you're buying to begin with.

Anyway, I hope I didn't offend you as that wasn't my intention.

Archived