Gibson Brands Forums

Lemon oil on Les Paul Standard Faded?

Thundergod

Hi guys... I remember some members ranting about lemmon oil... and some saying it was good... dont remember what the consensus was at the end...

So, I'm cleanning my Les Paul Standard Faded and my tech told me I should use this "Formby's lemon oil treatment" product... (he told me to use it on the fretboard, so I was wondering if it could be used on the body of the guitar also... )

On the body? I'm not sure about that. I don't think so.

Get Fret Doctor for the board, it's the best...period!

Try an internet search and you'll find it.

If they don't ship to Ecuador, I'd be glad to order it and ship it out to you if you send me the $.

I forget how much it costs, but I think it's around $20 for the bigger bottle.

I wouldn't use lemon oil on the body, Thunder. I don't think it would hurt anything, but it would just make the finish oily. I do however use lemon oil on my fretboards - have for 25 years. I get it cheap in the furniture finishing section of home improvement stores. I rub it onto my fretboards about once a year. I use it sparingly and wipe it off thoroughly... a little goes a long way.

Lemon oil, used sparingly (once a year, as surfpup said) is fine...good, even. More than that,

and you risk loosening the frets. Don't use it on the body, though. "Dunlop 65" is a good overall

guitar cleaner/polish. Lot's of luthiers here, use it. And, any "non-silicon" based auto polish will

work, too. Meguiars products (Fender has a guitar care kit, by them) are great.

CB

Hey, thanks for the advice... used it only on the fretboard and then put it away... didnt want to do something stupid before having someone to blame for it, but as no one said I could do that...

I just wanted to know anyway, the guitar is clean and fine, not dirty at all (looks like new) which brings the memory... Ive seen some guitars that looked like they were taken out of a swamp (maybe thats a topic for a whole new thread).

There isn't any good reason to put it on the body, it will help the neck if the neck needs help since it's basically unfinished rosewood. However it's also not a problem to get it on the body. "Lemon oil" is sold as a furniture polish and it will keep it looking wet and shiny, but leaves a greasy residue that's not the best thing for a guitar that's going to be handled (it should soak in and dry on the fingerboard but it won't if you put it on the lacquer). If you can't get lemon oil, don't sweat it - it's really just mineral oil (sold as a laxative in the drugstore) with some nice citrus scent added.

I also oiled up the body and worked it in there good' date=' wich made the red explode. I'm really happy with it, and I think it looks good for a vintage mahogany.

[img']http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/phil_1014/lp3.jpg[/img]

Yeah, this is what i was talking about. Looks killer to me.

The question remains.... Is it a bad idea?

Phil_104 where are you?

Anyone else actually try it?

I have a LPVM and I would never use lemon oil on the body, I have sued lemon oil in furniture and have seen what it does to it which is not bad on furniture but not good for a guitar in the long run IMO.

The oil will slightly soften the wood for lack of a better word which is the exact opposite of what you want on an aging guitar.

Initially the grain will pop and will look amazing but eventually the oil oxidizes in the wood and the finish will be dull.

Again all this is my experience putting oil in furniture.

Pennzoil 10W40...just kidding, I use Gerlitz's Guitar honey on mine (fretboard) about once a year, and to clean and polish, I use Harris' "The Boston Creme", swear by both, and I'm told I talk like a longshoreman...wait, I was for almost 10 years.

Archived