Gibson Brands Forums

Steve Howe ES175 question for admin

jem77pmc

Hello admin,

I just purchased a 2008 Steve Howe ES175 from Wildwood guitars and I am in love with it. Thank you Gibson for giving me my dream guitar.

I have three questions:

1. Was the guitar made in Memphis or Nashville (it is serial number 01348752)?

2. Please explain to me how to read the serial number. I looked at the serial number part of the site and it looks like its a Bozeman type serial number where the fifth digit is the year.

3. On the sticker inside the guitar's body where it lists the serial number, the line for the model looks like Steve Howe personally signed the sticker. I have his autograph on several things and it really looks like his autograph. Is this the case?

Thank you so muich for fielding my questions.

Take Care,

Sean

1) these are made in Memphis

2) Gibson as a whole has used the 8-digit serial number format for many years. the 1st and 5th digits are the year of production, 2-4 are the day of the year the guitar was made (in your case, the 134th), usually the last 3 digits indicate where the guitar fell in the day's total production. But i know Memphis is not making 700 guitars a day, so maybe this is a yearly rank...

3) i haven't seen one of these, but i would suspect that Memphis either has a stamp with Steve's signature that is being used, or that the tags are printed with Steve's signature. Or they could have had Steve sign a bunch personally for use on these guitars...i will have to ask on Monday to confirm.

1) these are made in Memphis

2) Gibson as a whole has used the 8-digit serial number format for many years. the 1st and 5th digits are the year of production' date=' 2-4 are the day of the year the guitar was made (in your case, the 134th), usually the last 3 digits indicate where the guitar fell in the day's total production. But i know Memphis is not making 700 guitars a day, so maybe this is a yearky rank...

3) i haven't seen one of these, but i would suspect that Memphis either has a stamp with Steve's signature that is being used, or that the tags are printed with Steve's signature. Or they could have had Steve sign a bunch personally for use on these guitars...i will have to ask on Monday to confirm.[/quote']

Thank you admin. Yes please ask on Monday. Steve's signature looks like it is in ball point.

Thanks again!!!

Archived