Gibson Brands Forums

SG schematic

Chris the Gent

I'm rewiring my G310 and wondered where i could get a schematic for an SG,

looking on the net there seems to be a couple of different ways of wiring a 2 pickup geetar, i was wondering what the pro's and con's are.

the main difference that i can spot is where the resistors are soldered, either between 2 pots or on one pot and then soldered to the back of the same pot, whats the story with that?[thumbup]

sorry for my naivity, but as always, comments welcome,

-Chris,

ok' date=' i have 2 humbuckers, and a volume and tone for each pickup, what wiring would you recomend and why?

-Chris

[/quote']

I would wire mine like stock, 2 independent volumes and 2 tones. Some people like having it wired so that if you're using both pups one volume is a master and will turn both pups down. I like having independent control of my pup volumes so I can "blend" the sound. I'm not real sure what tone difference moving the cap would provide. All I can say is get your pickups wired to the pots and try the cap in both positions and see if there's a difference in the sound! Experiment, because all guitars sound a bit different, even with the same pickups and wiring installed.

I'm rewiring my G310 and wondered where i could get a schematic for an SG' date=' [/quote']

It's the same as the Les Paul.

looking on the net there seems to be a couple of different ways of wiring a 2 pickup geetar, i was wondering what the pro's and con's are.

If you wire it wrong, it will self destruct on you..LOL!

the main difference that i can spot is where the resistors are soldered, either between 2 pots or on one pot and then soldered to the back of the same pot, whats the story with that?[confused]

The volume pot is normally straight forward..you wire the hot lead of the p-up to one terminal of the pot and then

connect the other side to ground (case of pot). The center terminal (wiper goes to the switch).

As far as the tone cap. One lead of the cap is soldered to the tone pot case and the other lead generally is

connected to the center tap of the tone pot which is then connected to the center tap of the volume.

One tap of the tone cap is soldered to ground and the other is left open. You have to make sure

you have the right ones connected otherwise the rotation will work backwards if you

connect the incorrect end to ground.

the main difference that i can spot is where the resistors are soldered' date=' either between 2 pots or on one pot and then soldered to the back of the same pot, whats the story with that?[-(

sorry for my naivity, but as always, comments welcome,

-Chris,

[/quote']

It's a capacitor (cap), not a resistor but you've probably worked that out already; the two different configurations are essentially electrically the same so I wouldn't worry about it.

I prefer to solder the cap onto the case, it keeps the wiring neater if there are no caps floating around in the loom:

This is the inside of my SG:

14022010191.jpg

14022010193.jpg

The Green caps you can see on volume pots are Trebble bleeds caps; a mod well worth doing!

Archived