Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Wildkat Pickups?

Lariat357

Hey all, I have an Epiphone Wildkat with P-90 pups, but I screwed around with the pups pole hieghts too much and wrecked the tone........anyone know where to order new pups.....the chrome ones with dogears?? Or maybe just some tech tips on how to adjust them back to spec. The worst part about this mess I got myself into is that i CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME!!!!!!! find the specs for Epiphone Wildkat v p-90s individual pole hieght, frustrated! anybody got any solutions?

Maybe if you decide to do a pup swap you could check out the Lindy Fralin P-90's. I hear they are super HOT! I don't know how compatible they would be with the KAT in regards to installation. But they come in Black, and or White Plastic covers, no chrome..I have been tinkering with a thought of a swap on mine. Still shopping around.

Sorry I can't help you with the "official" pole piece heights, but I can post the heights on my Wildkat if you like? I played about with them on the neck pickup to get a lesh mushy tone, and it helped quite a bit. I left the bridge ones as stock. I'll measure up and post soon/later...

Ok, on the bridge pickup, they roughly follow an arc, similar to the fingerboard.

1st string (treble E) 1.25mm (this is an odd one out, but hey - it sounds fine!)

2nd string 0.75mm

3rd string 0.82mm

4th string 0.8mm

5th string 0.38mm

6th string 0.2mm

Neck pickup

1st string 1.89mm

2nd string 0.82mm

3rd string 0.74mm

4th string 0.58mm

5th string 0.4mm

6th string 0 (flush)

I adjusted the neck pickup poles until the open strings all sounded similar in volume and sustain. Since then, it all sounds quite good: warm but clear. I'm not a professional - I just wanted the neck pickup to sound good instead of replacing the pickups needlessly, so I had a play about. Seemed to work fine.

Hope this helps!

Ant

Archived