Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
woodshed

56 Goldtop fingerboard radius

Does anyone know what the fingerboard radius is on the '56 Goldtop LP (with the P-90s)?

Woodshed, I can't answer your question, but I've had a fancy for that particular guitar myself. I haven't come across one in a music store yet. I'm reluctant to order one, but if I can't find one maybe I'll go the Musician Friend route. I

think they're $499.00 from there. Do you have the guitar yet or are you just asking the question before you buy one?

A local store had a '56 Goldtop a year or so ago & I played it several times. I liked the sound a lot but I'm not sold enough to pull the trigger on an Epiphone yet. Some things matter more than others with a gtr, like where the wood comes from, veneer or cap top, fingerboard radius, etc. I want a 12" radius, like a Gibson. I don't want a 14"-15" radius; I already have a flat fingerboard shredder axe. I want a more traditional LP & I'm into P-90s right now. I have a 2006 LP Double Cut Jr & I really like it's P-90 sound. Having an arch-top LP, even if it's solid mahogany w/out maple top, would work for me if it's a 12" radius. Knowing where the wood comes from &/or verifying top/veneer is more info to consider. The deal breaker for me with this gtr would be *not* being a 12" radius. I'm considering this because I'm having a hard time justifying $850+ for a Slash Signature since it appears to be not that much different from other stock models. For instance, what/where is the Epiphone Custom Shop that the Slash Sig is supposed to come from? Personally, I would assume that sticker meant that model gtr got special treatment compared to the stock models, as oposed to being made in a *custom shop* division. Special treatment being the after market p-ups & the long tenon neck but that's it. The Slash Sig still appears to be exactly the same as say, an Epi LP Std.

All in all, I remember liking the '56 Goldtop & like you I may get one from MF & try it out. But before I do I'd like verification that the radius is 12". The Slash Sig is 12" by the way.

i've just got 2 radius blocks from stewmac and to my surprise... my favourite gold deluxe lp (by vintage.) has a 10" radius. my others are 12" i can settle on a 12" if the necks not thick (like a standard sg.) but 10" is perfect for me. i too think beyond 12" are too flat.