Gibson Brands Forums

My hand wound pickups are ready to ship......

tonefordays.jpg

I have asked a guy called Jon Moore to wind me a set of pickups they are a cross between the spec on Lollar Imperial Low Winds and Burstbucker 1's, Jon calls them "Tres Hombres" (mine are wound a little lower) really excited and looking forward to them arriving.

They will be posted in the coming week. Jon also made a 335 harness (which is for my 1989 Sheraton) and is finishing a Jimmy Page wired 335 harness using the same materials but with 4 push pulls.

I ordered the Jimmy Page harness for my E-by-G Sheraton and will put the "Tres Hombres" in there and check out the various single coil configurations also the series parallel elements.

Will make a video when all is installed and the guitar is properly set up. Should make that E-by-G a little bit special.

A bit of an experiment that I sure Old Scratch will approve of.....[crying]

I have asked a guy called Jon Moore to wind me a set of pickups they are a cross between the spec on Lollar Imperial Low Winds and Burstbucker 1's' date=' Jon calls them "Tres Hombres" (mine are [b']wound a little lower[/b]) really excited and looking forward to them arriving.

do you mean underwound or the response is a bit lower than the Low Winds?

I ordered the Jimmy Page harness for my E-by-G Sheraton and will put the "Tres Hombres" in there and check out the various single coil configurations also the series parallel elements.

Nice looking wiring harness. Just wondering how much use those 4 push-pulls are going to get...more of a novelty

at first. You will have to invest in some knobs that are easier to grab when pulling up as some of the gibson

style (bell knobs/top hats) don't work that well when trying to grab them pulling up and the speed knobs will

crack on you after a while.

Will make a video when all is installed and the guitar is properly set up. Should make that E-by-G a little bit special.

Looking forward to hearing a sample of these special wounds.

Carverman wrote:

do you mean underwound or the response is a bit lower than the Low Winds? Quote:

Hi Carverman

I was going to buy a set of Lollar Imperial Low Winds 7.0k neck 7.9k bridge but I also liked the sound of the Burstbucker 1's. I came across Jon's "Tres Hombres" P_up's are in that area and he has wound me a set at 7.0k neck 7.9k, alnico II magnets, unmatched bobbins, unpotted, just well, carefully, wound.

When I said they would "a bit lower" Jon usually winds the Tres Hombres 7.4 just a slight difference, that is what I meant.

Has for the novelty. I will just experiment and find what I like and stay there I don't ever intend to switch much half way through a tune....so the push pulls will not be getting overworked and I am sure there are knobs out there that can take the light work I will be giving them.

Main thing I want to find out is what happens when I go to single coil in the neck.......if I get a certain sound we have discussed before. If they just work best as straight humbuckers then I will place them in my other Sherri straight down the line set up.

Then I try that Firebird experiment.....but first I want to give these P_ups of Jon's a chance. Dan, you have to remember I have to keep trying stuff to get experience and find what I am happy with. I have only had a few guitars through my hands and it is all about having fun and learning for me. When something its the spot it stays.....simple as that.

Having fun....

PS. Jon Moore is Canadian you should be supporting me here......ordering gear from Canada to Sweden I am boosting your exports man.....[blink]

When I said they would "a bit lower" Jon usually winds the Tres Hombres 7.4 just a slight difference' date=' that is what I meant.

Has for the novelty. I will just experiment and find what I like and stay there I don't ever intend to switch much half way through a tune....so the push pulls will not be getting overworked and I am sure there are knobs out there that can take the light work I will be giving them.

[/quote']

Ok, go for it then..I had to replace some knobs with the pushpulls because they would crack after a while. You can

stay with the original knobs, but you may have some trouble pulling up on them.

Main thing I want to find out is what happens when I go to single coil in the neck.......if I get a certain sound we have discussed before. If they just work best as straight humbuckers then I will place them in my other Sherri straight down the line set up.

Well I have found out there is a slight difference when splitting them..but a humbucker even split

is still not as gutsy as a single coil..however, I was experimenting with the classic 57

style of humbucker and not a custom set like you are getting, so maybe you may

like them.

Then I try that Firebird experiment.....but first I want to give these P_ups of Jon's a chance. Dan, you have to remember I have to keep trying stuff to get experience and find what I am happy with. I have only had a few guitars through my hands and it is all about having fun and learning for me. When something its the spot it stays.....simple as that.

Having fun....

Sure you have to enjoy experimenting..its part of the fun.

PS. Jon Moore is Canadian you should be supporting me here......ordering gear from Canada to Sweden I am boosting your exports man.....:)

I support you all the way "Joe". I think you are a special person to investigate what

is out there and enhance the performance of your guitars..so it doesnt matter where

you end up getting the parts..even if it does help our "trade balance. [blink]

I support you all the way "Joe". I think you are a special person to investigate what

is out there and enhance the performance of your guitars..so it doesnt matter where

you end up getting the parts..even if it does help our "trade balance. [blink]

My investigations are double edged Jon's hand wound P_up's are actually cheaper than the Lollar or Burstbuckers and I like the fact they have been made with care by a craftsman.

Also the same goes with the harness which Jon does at a very competitive price. If things go well I will have a beautiful solid early Korean made Sheraton with bespoke wiring and pickups made with care by a craftsman.

The guitar cost me us$375 the hand wound pups and harness us$300 That will be us$675 for the finished guitar. This is not just about experimenting but getting a quality guitar at very decent price....:)

I happened to a guy in Seattle who had replaced a set of Lollars with Jon Moore pick ups in his Les Paul. I didn't see the instrument but got a sense that this guy knew his stuff so I contacted Jon and had him wind a pair of for my Custom Shop R7 LP. He takes time to figure out what your needs are and work from there in terms of magnets and wind. His prices can't be beat, and he does beautiful work.

That will be us $675 for the finished guitar. This is not just about experimenting but getting a quality guitar at a very decent price....[cool]

#-oEnglish understatement. I can't believe you're getting all of that for 675 clams! #-o

I just hope the Swedish customs people don't find out about it... [crying]

When do the goodies arrive?

[love]

#-oEnglish understatement. I can't believe you're getting all of that for 675 clams! #-o

I just hope the Swedish customs people don't find out about it... [crying]

When do the goodies arrive?

[love]

Just got the final bill from Jon so is like this

Second hand Epiphone by Gibson MIK Sheraton us$375

Two hand wound "Tres Hombres" pups us$200

Jimmy Page harness us$85

postage us$20

if the customs want me to pay MOMS/VAT (which is usually the case) it will be 25% of us$285 around us$72

so with Swedish taxes that is a fantastic guitar for us$752

us$752 is about the price of a "new" stock Made in China Sheraton in Sweden

Which one would you rather have I will take the Jimmy Page modified 1987 Samick "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton a bit of rarity....[cool] In fact a definite "one off" no other "Epiphone by Gibson" 1987 Sheraton has Jon Moore pickups with a specially hand made Jimmy Page wired harness made by Jon Moore....if you know of one, let me know....

Just got the final bill from Jon so is like this

Second hand Epiphone by Gibson MIK Sheraton us$375

Two hand wound "Tres Hombres" pups us$200

Jimmy Page harness us$85

postage us$20

if the customs want me to pay MOMS/VAT (which is usually the case) it will be 25% of us$285 around us$72

so with Swedish taxes that is a fantastic guitar for us$752

us$752 is about the price of a "new" stock Made in China Sheraton in Sweden

Which one would you rather have I will take the Jimmy Page modified 1987 Samick "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton a bit of rarity....[crying] In fact a definite "one off" no other "Epiphone by Gibson" 1987 Sheraton has Jon Moore pickups with a specially hand made Jimmy Page wired harness made by Jon Moore....if you know of one' date=' let me know....

[/quote']

Well now, we have to consider, how much of your Epi Sheraton was actually made in China.

Considering your investment and modifications, it is a very unique Sheraton and will

be worth it's weight in gold as they say.

I remember modifying (electrifying) a Made in Kalamazoo Epi Triumph acoustic archtop

with de-armond SC..sounded great! Everyone told me..don't do it because any mods

will change the value of the guitar..baloney! The guitar sounded great and I still

got a lot more for it when I sold it !

Now when you say "hand wound", does Jon actually wind those thousands of turns

around the bobbin(s) by hand?...or use a coil winder like everyone else?

Well now' date=' we have to consider, how much of your Epi Sheraton was actually made in China.

Considering your investment and modifications, it is a very unique Sheraton and will

be worth it's weight in gold as they say.

I remember modifying (electrifying) a Made in Kalamazoo Epi Triumph acoustic archtop

with de-armond SC..sounded great! Everyone told me..don't do it because any mods

will change the value of the guitar..baloney! The guitar sounded great and I still

got a lot more for it when I sold it !

Now when you say "hand wound", does Jon actually wind those thousands of turns

around the bobbin(s) by hand?...or use a coil winder like everyone else?[/quote']

[biggrin] Carverman

1) How much of a 1987 Samick Korean made Epiphone Sheraton is made in China?

2) This guitar when modded is unique in its configuration and will be worth about us$750 but will never be for sale. I would consider selling other 1989 Sheraton but there is something about my "Epiphone by Gibson" even though it has a couple of knocks and chips and my other is nigh perfect. I like that it as that place in the history when for a couple of years they made them with these headstocks and left over inner features of the earlier Japanese Sherri's.

3) On his website http://www.tonefordays.com/html/j_s_moore_custom_guitar_pickup7.html Jon explains that he built a machine for winding based on the one in Jason Lollar's book. For me that is as hand wound as it comes....I don't expect the guy to sit and do N thousand winds "by hand" [biggrin] A craftsman overseeing and taking pride in his work and reputation is all I ask and what I got for my money.

The Samick Sheraton is not a Kalamazoo but it is a solid axe. With Jon's work in there it will be a fine guitar for amateur, blues fan, hobbyist like me. Will probably be as good a guitar as anyone would find for us$750

[biggrin] Carverman

1) How much of a 1987 Samick Korean made Epiphone Sheraton is made in China?

Ah.. sorry for the faux pas..

3) On his website http://www.tonefordays.com/html/j_s_moore_custom_guitar_pickup7.html Jon explains that he built a machine for winding based on the one in Jason Lollar's book. For me that is as hand wound as it comes....I don't expect the guy to sit and do N thousand winds "by hand" [biggrin] A craftsman overseeing and taking pride in his work and reputation is all I ask and what I got for my money.

Right..the term "hand wound" is a misnomer. Even Gibson used machines (coil winders) and the early ones didn't

have turn counters..so some got "overwound" and others got "underwound"..it was a hit and miss thing and that

led to yet another "mystique" about these early vintage PAF p_ups...now they want several hundred for one

on FleaBay and online resellers.

The Samick Sheraton is not a Kalamazoo but it is a solid axe. With Jon's work in there it will be a fine guitar for amateur' date=' blues fan, hobbyist like me. Will probably be as good a guitar as anyone would find for us$750 [/quote']

Well, interesting enough, the Epis made in Kalamazoo by Gibson/Epiphone back in the late 60s were no better

than the Samick made ones. The only big difference is the type of finish used, the label inside, and the p_ups.

Whether a Epi from Kalamazoo is any better these days than a Samick made Epi (Sheraton) is a question that

only experts can determine when those two are played side by side.

Archived