Gibson Brands Forums

Smashing guitars for attention

Gilliangirl

I think albertjohn is right:

"Rightly or wrongly, he is famous for this and therefore can take advantage of his position."

PT does more than I do for sick people, and he gets a pass from me (like he needs it) to smash his own property. I also don't think behavior on stage is a reliable indicator as to how someone lives offstage. And while Gary Davis is a real guitarist, I'm thinking PT is a real guitarist as well, guit-smashing notwithstanding.

These are mass-produced guitars--even if Gibsons--not the Mona Lisa. And, to albertjohn's and others' point, if there were not "demand" for this behavior from the audience, no one would do it. As long as a peghead doesn't fly off and put an eye out, PT is not violating anyone's rights. I'm not a fan of the destruction either, but I don't think it warrants a lot of attention.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think albertjohn is right:

"Rightly or wrongly' date=' he is famous for this and therefore can take advantage of his position."

[/quote']

Cheers R. I was beginning to think I might be "drummed out of the Brownies" on this one.

Only if done by a professional

ElKabong.jpg

El Kabong about to kabong a bandito with his kabonger, which technically is either a bass or tenor. However, given the south or near south of the border setting of the El Kabong episodes is probably a quatro.

Interestingly enough, the episodes showing on YouTube, show his kabonger being non the worse for wear after kabonging the kabongee.... probably a Harmony.

To snap off the headstock on a 335 try ramming directly into Sunn amp.

OK R, will do.

Fear not all you doubting Thomas's, I'm privaliged to own these two and shall not be following the example of my great hero.

Thanks for the comments JG. Appreciated.

Someone in another part of the forum was talking about Townshend smashing a guitar on Letterman. And Gibson goes and gives him his own signature SJ-200 Ltd. Limited all right...limited to however many he can trash. does this guitar feature extra-splinter factor? Smash it and it breaks into more pieces than a REGULAR guitar? Is it tuned to the sound of hitting the floor in, say, the Rhyman, as opposed to your garage? I wonder if the cost of that SJ-200 is actually about $50 bucks, because they know in PTs hands, it has a lifespan of about an hour and a half. I think in this case, Gibson is fostering bad behaviour, but to their economic benefit.

It breaks my heart to see those stars smashing a perfectly good guitar. Thanks John Hiatt.

a couple of beautiful instruments you have there aj. that's a great finish on splinter!

Ditto that jannusguy!

Proper looking 335!

I like the honeyburst AJ I think I will coat the dumb blonde in Gales!

BTW has someone taken a bite out of your SWD?

Shame about the cricket, I think we lost didn't we?

BR

John

Ditto that jannusguy!

Proper looking 335!

I like the honeyburst AJ I think I will coat the dumb blonde in Gales!

BTW has someone taken a bite out of your SWD?

Shame about the cricket' date=' I think we lost didn't we?

BR

John[/quote']

Morning John. The early bird catches the worm eh?

I like the honey idea on your 335 but remember not to shine it up with the wrong cloth. Also, in order not to ruin your clothes you might consider playing it in the nude? No pictures will be required thankyou!

England lost by 10 wickets; to those who are not familiar, that's bad. The balance of the side is all wrong now Flintoff is back since he is not in form with the bat. Off to Edgebaston (Birmingham) next Thursday.

The finish on the 335 in the flesh has less contrast and lighter, but quite honey like. Gibson call it Lightburst. I'm particularly pleased with the flaming.

Cunkhead. Thanks for the comments and the You Tude link. I've not seen that in years. Graham Chapman as King Arthur is brilliant. Can you believe that film is 33 years old!!? It's timeless, the French are still like that!

Gilliangirl, just in case, I wasn't Taking the Mick with my ficticious names.........honest.

Peter

Morning John. The early bird catches the worm eh?

Peter

Afternoon

What a crap morning I thought I'd do some work and the desktop stopped working. With help from Thermionik i have now got another drive and am sitting waiting for all the data to transfer.

As for the 335 which possibly ought to be called "Nicey" if the inane portion of my memory holds up? Yes I like the Lightburst and you do have some flame there, bit more than the dumb blonde's but then again she doesn't see the limelight much, the DB that is!

No so much "Room 335" more "Room 101"

As for the 335 which possibly ought to be called "Nicey" if the inane portion of my memory holds up? Yes I like the Lightburst and you do have some flame there' date=' bit more than the dumb blonde's but then again she doesn't see the limelight much, the DB that is!

No so much "Room 335" more "Room 101"

[/quote']

Nice one JT. The latter might be easier to play than the former though.

"Lod a work for chairidy mate. You ain't seen nuthin yet! LET'S ROCK!"

Nice guitars AJ.....

With a name like yours' date=' you seriously need to get an Advanced Jumbo (AJ) though!

=; [/quote']

Cheers TP. My search for a Gibson 12 continues so an AJ12 could be the solution. If one exists.

Never played an AJ but there's a lot of love for it on this forum and that's got to be a safe endorsement.

Cheers TP. My search for a Gibson 12 continues so an AJ12 could be the solution. If one exists.

Never played an AJ but there's a lot of love for it on this forum and that's got to be a safe endorsement.

Man, I can only imagine how good a 12 string AJ would sound. If you find one, but it so I can envy you!

Man' date=' I can only imagine how good a 12 string AJ would sound. If you find one, but it so I can envy you!

[/quote']

Now just wait there a moment............

http://www.fullersguitar.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,102/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,1197/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/vmcchk,1/

By UK standards, that's cheap.

Archived