Gibson Brands Forums

Ohh Cruel Fate......Firebird Pain.........

Again Teegar tongue in cheek I can not promise that they are safe in my company...:-k[biggrin] [biggrin] ....my anthromorphorsising may lead to strange ideas like dressing them up in underwear and putting a glass of wine beside them......for yeehaws sake....[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Edit: Fancy going up to BB King and saying excuse me I think it is ridiculous you calling your guitar "Lucille".......[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Peter where are you........

Silence!!!! Laughing is NOT permited!!..herr Joeseph!

Ve have vays to treat zis dizease of yours! [glare]..ve vill brainwash youz to send

ze geetars to ME!!!

Arnold-Toht.jpg

now vot is du sayzing about der BB King? He is calling ze geetar "Luzille" because he saved ze guitar

from burning up in ze clubz fire...und he is ze KIngz....kingz of ze Bluez!

Is the one you are buying the one posted in the youtube vid? It's just that it looks like a set neck to me whereas Svet's Gibson is clearly a thru neck.

I don't know what the thru neck Epi Firebirds looked like but the one in the vid appears to have exactly the same join as any Les Paul or G400.

Alan

Silence!!!! Laughing is NOT permited!!..herr Joeseph!

Ve have vays to treat zis dizease of yours! :-k..ve vill brainwash youz to send

ze geetars to ME!!!

Arnold-Toht.jpg

now vot is du sayzing about der BB King? He is calling ze geetar "Luzille" because he saved ze guitar

from burning up in ze clubz fire...und he is ze KIngz....kingz of ze Bluez!

Nice one Carver I am sitting here with my "Annie Mae" she is wearing a nice little number and I have bought her a little tiara, I am trying to let her down easy over my thing with "Blanche"....NAAAAH Only Joking It is really "Joe Pass" with a GFS tailpiece.

Carver learned a lot from you man, but I am only here to pass time, have fun, and get a nice few guitars around me for when I eventually coax my brother over to Sweden from Liverpool.

You are one of the three people on this site I have learned most from. Thanks for that.

Is the one you are buying the one posted in the youtube vid? It's just that it looks like a set neck to me whereas Svet's Gibson is clearly a thru neck.

I don't know what the thru neck Epi Firebirds looked like but the one in the vid appears to have exactly the same join as any Les Paul or G400.

Alan

Alan yes there is a lot of mixed up terminology here, but I do say earlier.

"I would have preferred a vintage sunburst but just so glad to find one here in Sweden with a set neck."

I think I should have said be a set neck as opposed to bolt neck, initially in this thread, instead of usin neckthrough or through neck. If it is like the one in the video I found I will be happy enough.

I know the design in a Gibby FB is true through neck as in all one piece I am not expecting the exact same design for a quarter of the price...I just want a set neck as opposed to a bolt neck and minis as opposed to full sized buckers in the newer epi studio Fbirds.

As in a lot discussion about guitars terminology crosses over and can often be misleading and downright wrong. I think the particular Fbird I am picking up on tuesday is a set neck, mini FB humbucker, Alpine White Epiphone Firebird V. That will do for me.

Alan yes there is a lot of mixed up terminology here' date=' but I do say earlier.

"I would have preferred a vintage sunburst but just so glad to find one here in Sweden with a set neck."

I think I should have said be a set neck as opposed to bolt neck, initially in this thread, instead of usin neckthrough or through neck. If it is like the one in the video I found I will be happy enough.

I know the design in a Gibby FB is true through neck as in all one piece I am not expecting the exact same design for a quarter of the price...I just want a set neck as opposed to a bolt neck and minis as opposed to full sized buckers in the newer epi studio Fbirds.

As in a lot discussion about guitars terminology crosses over and can often be misleading and downright wrong. I think the particular Fbird I am picking up on tuesday is a set neck, mini FB humbucker, Alpine White Epiphone Firebird V. That will do for me.

[/quote']

Thanks for clarifying, Joseph.

It's a nice looking guitar. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

When you get it, photos and a HNGD thread are obligatory!

Alan

[biggrin]

Happy for you man' date=' a lot happened there while I was working today. Must have been very motivated to put together a deal that fast.

Wonder what it will sound like through the bug V-5?[/quote']

1) Yes, some rabid e-mailing today swung a deal.

2) I wish I was back in work....you are a lucky guy.

3) You know I am a fast worker when I see something that I want, the Bugera is on hold for time being........I pick another amp up on saturday morning......

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14274

.........So will probably be plugging those Seymour Duncan minis into a 1963 Epiphone Pacemaker next week..........:-

I am going to stay off Swedish e-bay for a while though as you say it can get you into trouble, I do not need to see anything tempting for at least 6 weeks....[biggrin]

Look what I found on youtube it is probably a set neck like this one. Probably a Swedish English translation thing. I will see for sure next Tuesday. Some mixed terminology here you are right L35' date=' it is probably a set neck.

[/quote']

No matter, Joe. I'm sure that it will be a great guitar.

You've now increased my Firebird gas by about 500%. I've always liked them. Think I'll be casting around for one in the next few months.

Yes, I must confess, I do like Firebirds. I think the Stones were never cooler than when Keith and Brian had a pair of birds between them...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss02sfQinxI[/YOUTUBE]

No matter' date=' Joe. I'm sure that it will be a great guitar.

You've now increased my Firebird gas by about 500%. I've always liked them. Think I'll be casting around for one in the next few months.

Yes, I must confess, I do like Firebirds. I think the Stones were never cooler than when Keith and Brian had a pair of birds between them...

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss02sfQinxI[/YOUTUBE]

I loved the stones as a kid but my big Firebird "hunger" comes from two guitarists I am very fond of listening to Johnny Winter and Dennis Coffey the latter said is 63 Firebird was "the" best session guitar he had and used it most of the motown hits of 1960's. I also want split a set of Firebird pups and the SD's in the guitar I am buying are 4 wire. So game on......I came across this on a discussion board on a luthier site and a guy from States with a decent reputation making pickups made the following statement:

I just want to comment on the internal workings of a Firebird pup.

They have two magnets - not one shared magnet like the mini humbucker - or full size HB -

Because they have a coil going around the magnet - they are very reminiscent of those early Blues pickups found in the Kay's- Harmony's and Magnatone's. where all you have is a coil wrapped right around a long rectangular bar magnet - I have found that these designs are really fast becoming the more popular designs with the Blues Purist Regime out there -

So inside the Firebird's metal cover are basically two of these early designs with the magnets stood up so its skinny end is up and the flatter 1/2 wide sides are facing the coil - making them a cross between the Charlie Christian Blade & the H-44 Harmonys - ( Strat0tones) - now theres not much room for wire so these Firebirds usually reach about 6.5 or maybe sneak it up to a 7k if they are wound nice an neat...

so inside the cover is two really cool Bluesy pickups - one has its magnets reversed from the other so it "hum-bucks" -

now most of the Kay's - Harmony's - Magnatone's were 3.2k to 4k

so heres these Firebird's really BEGGING to be put on a split switch - and wolla- you'll have a 3.2k to 3.5k single coil bluesy pup from the tone Gods!

because inside are two of the coolest little blues designs ever made!

and splitting them will give you "that Sound" when you want it..

I am so intrigued I just have to try it. I was going to try in one of my Sheratons because I could not find a set neck Epi FB but know I have the perfect platform.

Still trying to come to terms with owning a white guitar, but Musikron above says they grow on you.....fun times ahead and that is what it all about for me.......

that was cruel.....[biggrin]

You had the choice Svet (I was just so glad to find this on my budget' date=' but would have preferred a VS) why did you go for the white..........?

Great Firebird there when did you buy it I have heard the minis criticised compared to the older models what do you say Svet.

[/quote']

Hi Joe, I picked white simply because I already have too many guitars in VS! The FB is my only white guitar and I just had to have a white guitar! Truth be told I do like the way a VS FB looks and find it more attractive than the White. I've been playing my FB all night through my Carr Mercury and using my Dunlop Uni Vibe pedal and man am I having a blast!

Hi Joe' date=' I picked white simply because I already have too many guitars in VS! The FB is my only white guitar and I just had to have a white guitar! Truth be told I do like the way a VS FB looks and find it more attractive than the White. I've been playing my FB all night through my Carr Mercury and using my Dunlop Uni Vibe pedal and man am I having a blast![/quote']

I am really looking forward to Tuesday and playing the bird, hope it plays as good as it looks..... Your collection is fantastic Svet, at least I can say I have one thing I share with the great Svet.....we both have white Firebirds.

I am really gland for an Epiphone with a set neck, minis, and the panel ridges, I prefer all that to Epiphone studio FB with full size humbuckers and flat body. But that banjo tuners and mine does not.....but as long as it stays in tune I will be happy.

Mine costs $600 with a set of Seymour Duncan pups.....that's a fair price I think.

You are a lucky Svet to be able to afford such beautiful gear.

all the best, and thanks for sharing

I am really gland for an Epiphone with a set neck' date=' minis, and the panel ridges, I prefer all that to Epiphone studio FB with full size humbuckers and flat body. But that banjo tuners and mine does not.....but as long as it stays in tune I will be happy.[/quote']

I think you might be better off with regular tuners anyway. The Epi Firebird Studio you mentioned doesn't have Kluson banjo-style tuners, it has Steinberger gearless tuners.

5460_2lg.jpg

I've read mixed reviews of these - people seem to love them or hate them.

I suppose if you aren't in love with the stock tuners on our new 'bird you could always stick something on there that would look appropriate. Grover minis perhaps? But I'm guessing if the former owner has gone to all the trouble to invest in SD pick-ups, he'll have the tuning spot-on with that guitar in any case.

Archived