Gibson Brands Forums

New knob problem

android13

I am trying to fit these Gibson speed knobs on my Epiphone' date=' but it's hard to put them on.

Any suggestions?[/quote'] Buy knobs that fit Epiphone pots[confused] .... or replace your pots to fit your Gibson knobs:-k

Seriously, though, Epi knobs fit coarse spline pot shafts (imported ), Gibson knobs fit fine spline pot shafts (CTS) .... guess it's sorta metric/non-metric related..... I've heard of folks forcing the Gib knobs on, but have also heard of folks damaging pots by forcing.

I am trying to fit these Gibson speed knobs on my Epiphone' date=' but it's hard to put them on.

Any suggestions?[/quote']

The issue may be the split shaft on the pots. Plastic knobs, regardless of who makes them, are mass produced items, and tolerances may be patchy at best.

I am guessing that your pot shafts have a split (or gap). All you have to do is get some pliers and very gently squeeze the splits together - just a little bit - on each pot shaft. Then you should be able to push the Gibson knobs on.

No problem if you squeeze then too closely, just use a kitchen knife in the slot and move them out a litle and repeat the exercise.

Archived