Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Texans??

Gibson4life

Hey, I'm new to the Epiphone Forums because I'm usually on the Gibson Forums but since I have 4 Epiphones, I thought I'd join the Epiphone community as well. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had an Epiphone Texan. I love mine, but I want to hear what other members had to say about their Texans. [biggrin]

I don't have the "real" Texan but I did get an "Inspired by 1964" Texan and it is an amazing guitar. Wonderful sound -- plenty of volume and complex, colorful tone. Gives me '98 J-45 a run for its money, in fact, and I've always thought my '45 was one of the better ones out there.

I've gigged out with it once so far and the Shadow Sonic Nanoflex system works really well, too. Sounds great plugged in.

Got a Macca Texan MIJ -up there with my Kalamazoo Epi's & Gibbo's.Back in the 60's I used to play a Texan in a music shop with no hope of affording it.I made do with a Levin and didn't get into decent acoustics till the 70's.

I can still feel the vibe of that sunburst Texan -then I got to try a Martin D18!

I have a Macca left handed MIJ Texan Absoulutely love it! it has brightness and warmth in the tone and almost plays itself! The build quality is superb, not a flaw on it and its really nice and light without feeling fragile. Honestly think its the best guitar I've ever played. What Texan do you have?

Hi Gibson4life,

Welcome to the Epiphone forum. I'm on the Gibson forum, too, as are many of the folks here. Lots of cross-polination between the foums!

I have three recent vintage Texans. One is an Elitist '64 Texan, and two are Elitist Paul McCartney 1964 Texans. All three were made in Japan by Terada about for or five years ago, and have adjustable bridges. There are a few construction details that are different between the two models (the McCartney Texans have nitro finshes, for instance, while the Elitist '64 has poly), but otherwise they are very similar. As Lefty Alex said, Terada built these guitars carefully and with amazing attention to detail. They sound great, too. I have a number of different slope shouldered Gibson guitars, and the Elitist and McCartney Texans can hang with them easily.

Epiphone just issued a new version of the Texan late last year, the Inspired By 1964 Texan. This version is made in Eiphone's own factory in China, has a pickup system, and is very affordable. The forum members who have them have given rave reviews. In another thread, Dhanners posted a video in which he played his IB Texan; it's well worth seeking out.

What year is your Texan, and what finish does it have? When did you get it, and what does it sound like? Do you have any pictures?

I hope you'll post again and tell us!

Red 333

• 2 months later...

Just bought a demo Epiphone Elitist Paul McCartney 1964 Texan Guitar for $1,000 on eBay (hope I got a good deal) and can't wait to receive it. Thanks Red for all your information it's great to learn the history as I am a big Beatles fan and love my Lennon model - the sound is incredible.

Archived