Gibson Brands Forums

Need some advice on strings

I have been using D'Adarrio nickel medium top/heavy bottom 11,14,18,30,42,52

I like them but I seem to be breaking E strings usually the little ring at the end just just pops off.

Probably bad technique on my part when I am bending strings.

I also feel I need lighter treble strings so I thought of giving these a try RotoSound Blue 10-52, which are 10,13,17,30,42,52.

Anyone tried those RotoSound Blue 10-52's or recommend better.

Wow, joe. Breaking alot of D'Addario 10s? That must be some crazy bending. I play D'addario 9s and bend like ALOT - and I've only broken one in the past three years. Maybe you could try some Slinkys. They seem more felxible to me. I personally dont like them because of it, but it may help your breaking problem.

Wow' date=' joe. Breaking alot of D'Addario 10s? That must be some crazy bending. I play D'addario 9s and bend like ALOT - and I've only broken one in the past three years. Maybe you could try some Slinkys. They seem more felxible to me. I personally dont like them because of it, but it may help your breaking problem.[/quote']

Hi RobinTheHood

The ones that gone on me are 11's a lot by my standards. I had an acoustic for a lot of years can't remember breaking any strings once every blue moon. But this is 4 e strings since Christmas I might be unlucky and just had a bad run. or maybe I am setting them in the tailpiece and stop bar wrong three different guitar 2 of them had old strings on SG and Sheraton but I don't understand why it has happened twice on my JP. I must just be enjoying myself two much.

That's why I thought dropping down a bit on the treble strings to 10, 13, 17 maybe my inexperienced fingers or maybe I should stick with the 11's and tune down half a step.

I don't know....that's why I am asking for advice from you more experienced players.

Sorry...11's. My bad. May the 11's are too thick? Thicker strings seem to be stiffer. I dont think going down to 10's will be harder for you. Actually, a lighter guage may be a bit easier for you to use. I've never used a set of 11's in my life, so I cant really say.

I like DR tite fits in a 12 or 13. DR is a couple extra bucks but well worth it for the sound and feel IMO.

You say they break right at the loop? Have you checked the TP for any burrs that could be snagging the string?

I use D'Addario 11's on my tele (all my other electrics have EB Sslinky 11's but D'Addario's seem to suit the Tele better).

The E (11)'s do seem to have a tendency to break at the ball end if you bend them more than 1.5 half to 2 stops whereas it's never been a problem with the EB's.

My Tele is a top loader so it might be a problem where the string passes through the back of the bridgeplate but it doesn't appear to affect ofthe brands so possibly it's just that D'Addarios are simply a touch more brittle.

I have been using D'Adarrio nickel medium top/heavy bottom 11' date='14,18,30,42,52

I like them but I seem to be breaking E strings usually the little ring at the end just just pops off.

Probably bad technique on my part when I am bending strings.

I also feel I need lighter treble strings so I thought of giving these a try RotoSound Blue 10-52, which are 10,13,17,30,42,52.

Anyone tried those RotoSound Blue 10-52's or recommend better.

[/quote']

How much bending are you doing?

If these are on your semi/hollow body axes, with the metal tailpieces, might want to try thicker flatwounds.

They certainly won't bend as much, but a little goes a long way...won't get anywhere near a whole step, maybe half.

Personally I use D'addario Jazz Chromes, since I have breakfast sausage fingers, I like em thick. 13-56

I can't stand that fingerprint whicker when I slide my fingers down strings, so I only use flats, even on my Guild acoustic.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I play mostly jazz stuff anyways, so I march to my own drummer.....[blink]

Thanks guys Musikron and Smips 12 or 13's would be too heavy for me for many reasons.

Wiggy, that is an interesting obsersation about the D'addario 11's on your Tele and main culprit for me is my Joe Pass which has a GFS tailpiece and has a little sharp on the outside and I am now wondering if there is anything sharp in there where the end of the string sits.

Smips I am more interested in blues than jazz and have been reaching too much when bending the e string.

Just bad technique on my part I suppose, but will hopefully get the hang of things as I develop.

Do feel I need lighter treble strings though. Thanks fellas.

EDIT Musikron I will try out the DR Pure Blues Big n Heavy they look like they might be what I am looking for.

Pure Blues

Pure Nickel Electric Guitar Strings wound on Round Cores. The totally real Vintage string.

In the DR tradition of using old style construction to improve modern performance, Pure Blues electric guitar strings are designed with pure nickel wrap wire, round wound upon round cores. While this is a slow, expensive method of string making, it does produce a string acclaimed for increased sustain, vintage tone, and great low tones for playing rhythm to lead. The extra step of winding pure nickel around a round core gives the Pure Blues a punch that players say they are surprised to get in a vintage style string.

Style Catalog # E B G D A E

Style Catalog # E B G D A E

Lite PHR-9 9 11 16 24 32 42

Lite-n-Heavy 9 11 16 26 36 46

Medium 10 13 17 26 36 46

Big-n-Heavy 10 13 17 30 44 52

Heavy 11 14 18 28 38 50

Extra Heavy 12 15 24 32 42 52

Archived