Gibson Brands Forums

Have you ever played outside?

jnstrom

I played an outdoor show once in front of 3' date='000 people or so. I was 18 and man, did we suck!

Booing us off the stage would have been better than the silence.[/quote']

I'm still laughing at this one .

Ive done quite a few outdoor gigs through the years (community day events, 4th of july jams, corp. picnics) My biggest problem was sweating all over my guitar. gotta keep that baby wiped down.

solojam.jpg

I know..I know I'm playing my strat in this pic but was the only outdoor pic i could find. lol

I remember playing an outdoor party, and if I moved 1 foot to my right or left I couldn't hear my amp even though it was cranked. If I stood directly in front of it, it was lous a hell. Wierdest thing!

I've always said thats as a musician, you either LOVE to play outdoors, or you HATE it. There doesn't seem to be an in-between. I'm one that loves it, my bandmate hates it.

I've played outdoor gigs where it was well below freezing and near 100. Always and adventure.

Funnily enough I played an outdoor festival last Saturday. Have never seen so many My Chemical Romance shirts in my life, truly was The Black Parade!

Gig was great, but there was a strong wind blowing the whole time which meant that I couldn't hear s*it for a lot of the time, but atmosphere was great!

In snow, sleet, wind, rain and everything in between. I played in the first band that played the first outdoor gig at the Sturgis bike rally (Buffalo Chip) in 1982 (and yes, that would be the 'opening act'). Outdoors is h*ll on gear. (Sure wish I woulda had my $200 Switch plastic guitar in those days).

I remember playing an outdoor party' date=' and if I moved 1 foot to my right or left I couldn't hear my amp even though it was cranked. If I stood directly in front of it, it was lous a hell. Wierdest thing![/quote']

I had a similar thing at rehearsal Saturday night. I was just to the side of my Marshall - and I thought it sounded creamy, just right.

2nd guitarist was about 20 feet away - straight in front of it, I dunno, in what must be "the lethal zone"... I didn't believe him until we swapped positions and he belted some riffs out on my LP. Holy smokes I thought I was gonna get a bleeding nose.

Poor bloke had been stood there for about 2.5 hrs, too! Ouch..!

Archived