Gibson Brands Forums

Amp advice needed quick !

Hey guys, sorry about the cheeky sounding title, but im in a rush to get an amp as ive got a gig in 3 days, and if i order tonight i can get it by thursday.

the amps im stuck between are a Marshall MG30FX and a Vox VT30

theyre both 149 pounds.

heres the links :

Vox VT30

Marshall MG30FX

Thanks in advance guys.

Caolán

Depends on personal taste.......

It's the same technique like the (high rated) ToneLab

BTW you need a footswitch' date=' too

or any thoughts on the VOX ToneLab ST or LE

that would be better for the future amp

but you need a PA for that gig

Peter[/quote']

whats a PA?

sorry for my naivety, the marshall comes with a free footswitch.

thanks,

caolán.

If you can stretch to a bit more (say £250 -£260) the following tube amps might suit you and their 15W ratings should pack a punch for a small venue (or you could mic to the PA):

Fender Super Champ XD

Peavey Windsor Studio combo

Alternatively, you can get a Laney Cub 10 (10W valve amp) for £170.

I'm strictly a home player but have considered these myself as you can keep the volumes down for practice.

Alan

Public Address system.

oh that pa, as in the announcement speakers, didnt know you could hook an amp up to it, unfortunately i cant stretch on my price, and im going to go for the marshall for now, as my guitar teacher just recommended, but hopefully this time next year i will have enough for a fender deluxe reverb . (:

thanks for all the help guys.

caolán.

oh that pa' date=' as in the announcement speakers, didnt know you could hook an amp up to it, unfortunately i cant stretch on my price, and im going to go for the marshall for now, as my guitar teacher just recommended, but hopefully this time next year i will have enough for a fender deluxe reverb . (:

thanks for all the help guys.

caolán.[/quote']

In that case I would advise that you go second hand. At least then you won't lose anything when you upgrade.

You can get a used super champ XD for just over £150 on ebay.

In that case I would advise that you go second hand. At least then you won't lose anything when you upgrade.

You can get a used super champ XD for just over £150 on ebay.

go second hand for what? (:

well the marshalls payed for now, i think il be happy with that for a year or so, until i get the cash together for something better,

Thanks.

Caolán.

well the marshalls payed for now' date=' i think il be happy with that for a year or so, until i get the cash together for something better,

[/quote']

Gosh.....Done and dusted in less than an hour of posting!

Yea wait what???? non of those amps are gigable at all man...none....notta....zippp...., sounds like you wanted a good name to show people when you play or preform somewhere? hope your drummer is using an electric drum set, cause you are not gonna get anywhere with those, and that marshall is not at tall what you shoulda got, the peavy windsor might have been the correct choice or maybe even one of those cheaper Bugera 22 or 50 watters, well live and let learn I say, or is it live and let die.......

He's young. Doesn't believe in wasting time and impatient to boot. I remember those days. Oh wait, I'm 19. I'm still a young gun.

LOL!

Well, in any case, he'll found out whether his purchase was worth it or not. Like, MaxHart said, "live and let learn".

In my opinion, I would have borrowed from someone. Neither of those amps are suitable and for what it's worth, I noticed that as guitarists we are usually pretty friendly about lending stuff. Well, here in Texas at least, not quite sure about overseas in Ireland. Everyone I've met was always nice enough to lend me gear. Amps, cables, pedals, etc. Not like drummers, who are anal about their set. (no offense to drummers)

this is true,

I have a PA system that rocks! that I have had on lone for about ..ahahah 5 years now..., 2 basses, and my dads friend has basically given me his vintage marshall lead head to use (its too loud for him), just ask around, cancel that order and get a nice tube amp for those beautiful guitars, the main thing is that your 70's gibby deluxe will prob not sound very differnt from your epi gold top with those little amps

Either one of those could eventually become a usable practice amp' date=' but jeeze with those guitars it's be an insult to them not get yourself a really nice valve amp. A Fender Deluxe Reverb would be a nice match...[/quote']

Oh jesus, an american calling them "valve" amps...

But yeah, if you can afford a tube amp, get one.

I think the marshal is the better choice, Ive had both in the past for rehearsals, But I agree with the consensus that they arn't ideal for performing, The Vox we had broke a few times over the year or so we had it, we always had it cranked up though and gave it a bit of a pasting, the marshal hung in there, weve also used the CD function to practice covers of songs too once or twice which was pretty good.

It is definately worth saving up and getting a second hand valve amp, much much better, get a local tech to check them out with you to make sure you are getting what you pay for. FM

Oh jesus' date=' an american calling them "valve" amps...[/quote']

Well I do own a Valve Senior, and a Valve Special.

An oh yeah... a Valve Junior.

I guess I should start refering to them at "Tube Senior", Special, and Junior.

I certainly wouldn't want to embarass myself in front of the highly sophisticated and well-heeled Epiphone forum crowd....

Archived