Gibson Brands Forums

1976 Les Paul Standard

Cooperoni

It's an OK LP, but I don't see anything special about a 1976 year guitar. OK, so they say it's a rare 1 piece. So. I can spend $2700 for a new guitar with warrantee and no scratches all over it. I don't get it.

Too bad the '76 doesn't have the original fingerboard binding nibs, but a refret will do that to you. Must've been played to hell for them to decide to refret it - and actually I believe that's a good sign that the guitar had the right mojo and tone and playability for someone to make it their main axe. You think there's a typo about the fretboard and bridge being ebony?

Don't understand the second one - 20th anniversary of what? If the Custom came out in '54 then it wouldn't have had humbuckers yet, and I didn't think they did burst customs back then.

I punched the serial number into a Gibson finder/dater.

It says it was made in September 2005??....that cant be right.

- From 1975-1977 the number is typically found on a decal on the back of the headstock. This should be an 8 digit number that can be dated by the 1st and 2nd digits as follows:

99 = 1975

00= 1976

06 = 1977

- In 1977, Gibson introduced the serialization method that we primarily use to this day at Gibson USA, Gibson Acoustic, and the Gibson Custom facility in Memphis, TN.

Saturn, I wouldn't pay that much for it either. I paid that for my R9.

Here's a thought for the masses...

I'm sure I've said this before, it's like a catch 22.

One reason some people buy Gibson guitars is because they supposedly hold their resale value and can (or should) potentially appreciate over time...but when a guitar like this comes up for sale, we all think it's asking too much $.

Looking at the seller's description - it's a 34 year old Custom in basically mint condition, seems like it's all original with no repairs, and it comes with the original case. So, why wouldn't this fetch $4,500?

Seller's description:

1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom - 20th Anniversary Issue

This guitar is in great shape. Couple of small marks on the body.

Guitar comes with the original case.

Original pickups, pots and tuners. There have been no repairs on this guitar.

Archived