Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with price??

epinder

There is an EPI PR350SL from the early 90's for sale locally and the seller has "make an offer" in the ad. The guitar looks nice in the photos and comes with an el cheapo cardboard case.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure I can use?

I saw a PR350 that sold on the Elderly site for $125, but it was a righty and I think it needed a bit of work.

The seller is thinking $350 and I'm thinking $150 so we aren't even in the same ballpark..

Help me.

Walk away, better yet run. He is asking almost as much as they were when they were new for that model. The Blue Book suggests around $200.00 for one in excellent shape, so that usually translates to around $150.00 on the real market. The PR -350 from the early 2000's were a touch more like the PR-350SM's, or the SO's or the SR's as these were all solid guitars, most ot the early PR's were a laminate guitar.Ship

The '09 VG Price Guide has the PR350 in "excellent condition" valued at between $200 to $250. The cutaway version PR350CE is listed at $275 to $325.

Epi350S.jpg

It seems that one of the things that holds the price of these guitars down is the wide availability of new, high-quality Asian-made guitars of the same type, i.g. Epi Masterbuilt, Takamine, Yamaha, etc.

If Elderly sold it, it probably had a set-up and was playable. Unless of course they specified As-Is and the enumerated the defects. Bottom line, you $150.00 is probably fair. $350.00 is overly ambitious. You could get a brand new Epi for that much or not much more.

The secret to the art of negotiation is knowing when to get up and walk away. If he's firm on $350.00... walk. Some other person who is not as negotiation savvy or guitar knowledgeable will undoubtedly pick it up for that amount. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Thank you very much for the info. Though the guitar looks to be in good shape, I haven't seen it yet ( and probably won't now), and with the dry air out here in the desert, 10-15 years of sitting around could have done the guitar absolutely no good at all.

Thank you again

brianh you do know that there are about 9 different PR-350's and that they are about as far apart as you can get on some of the models' date=' the SL model is a laminate model and thus the lower pricing.ship[/quote']

No Ship, the VG book is sorely lacking in those details. I have the Blue Book for electrics which is much more comprehensive but it does shoot-all for acoustics, have to buy another complete volume for that.

I haven't invested in any of the 2010 price guides, figured I could skip a year without much risk since I'm not generally looking at '59 LP flametops or 40's Martins.

In any case, the cumulative responses steered Epinder clear of the overly ambitous seller, crisis averted.

Brian

brianh you do know that there are about 9 different PR-350's and that they are about as far apart as you can get on some of the models' date=' the SL model is a laminate model and thus the lower pricing.ship[/quote']

That is incredible, 9 models!!

I was just assuming the "S" stood for solid top and the "L" for lefty, so I'm really going to stay away.

BrianH:

In any case, the cumulative responses steered Epinder clear of the overly ambitous seller, crisis averted.

For sure, but don't worry, I'll find something else to purchase, I always do.

Thanks all.

PR-350 (Model EA35), (EA3C0), (EM35), DR-350S ( PR-350 S, Model EA05 )

DR-350 SM ( PR-350 SM, Model EO35 ), PR-350 SO ( Model EM35),

PR-350 SR ( Model ER35), DR-350 S LH ( Model EASL ) PR-350SL, Model EA2T )

DR-350-12 ( MOel EA2T, PR-350-12, Model EA3T )

And these are the ones listed I have heard there actually mioght be a few more that were never listed.Ship

In 2004 , Epiphone decided to rename all current PR models and designate then DR models your fav PR -350 may actually be listed under DR-200, and some were even later under the DR350's just to make it even more confusing sometimes.Ship

WOW, way too many models for a similar guitar!!

I'm going to throw a big monkey wrench into the equation.... the guitar is from the early 90's with the open book head stock and supposedly the seller is the original owner (said she purchased in 1991) and never learned to play. She stated that the guitar has been sitting in closet all these years.

I might have to check it out....

Here are a couple of photos:

epi_PR350SL_001.jpg

epi_PR350SL_002.jpg

I have a PR350B (I think the B is for ebony) which was sitting in a closet unplayed for 17 years.

It's brand new condition with cheapo case & strap - I paid $250.00 and I love this guitar.

I've been told that it has been supereceded by the DR series MASTERBILT. ( I don't know)

My PR350 isn't laminate.

I'd to like any info on this PR (performance) line. It sounds much better than some Ibanez stuff I've strummed.

• 10 years later...