Gibson Brands Forums

What is in the "Custom Care Kit"?

GuitarJunkie

I just bought an ES-339, and received nothing with it (including the COA). I did some investigating, and apparently the canadian distributor takes all the COAs out and keeps them unless you ask for it. I assume not too many people ask for them because the (very large) music store where I bought it had no idea about this. They've been in business for decades so you'd think it would have come up before now.

Anyhow, while looking around online I also noticed that Custom Shop guitars are supposed to come with a Custom Care Kit. What does this consist of, and what else should have come with my guitar?

Thanks

I just bought an ES-339' date=' and received nothing with it (including the COA). I did some investigating, and apparently the canadian distributor takes all the COAs out and keeps them unless you ask for it.[/quote']

I can't answer your question about the Custom Care kit, GuitarJunkie, but I can add another: why in the world is the Canadian distributor removing the Certificates of Authenticity? This is something Gibson should be very concerned about: not only can a buyer not prove her guitar is authentic if she sells it later, but aren't there now a large number of COAs just waiting to be misused, especially if the distributor is not keeping them under lock and key? And are those Custom Care kits getting re-sold as separate items?

I have heard similar stories of missing COAs and Custom Care kits when dealing with certain larger retailers here in the U.S. They apparently also are not always getting the COA and the case candy to the buyer. Sometimes, they are not even connecting the correct case with the guitar.

It certainly defeats the whole purpose of the Certificate of Authenticity in my book. #-o

Ignatius

The secondhand story I got from my salesman is that they do this to safeguard the COAs. It sounded pretty stupid, but they're worried about unsold Custom Shop guitars being returned by the dealer with the COA "misplaced". They said it's cheaper to mail them out to the owner once it's sold than to have to replace the missing ones. That's fine, but TELL THE STORES ABOUT THIS!!!! All three Gibson dealers in town I talked to had no idea about any of this, including the national chain owned by the canadian distributor. Didn't they ever wonder why all these COAs were piling up around the office.

How many times could the "misplaced" certificates actually be happening in order to justify keeping the COAs for every Custom Shop guitar in Canada?!?!

• 5 weeks later...

Interestingly, I've ordered a few gibsons online and the 339 being my first "custom shop" it had these BIG yellow stickers of the box flaps on each end. Tamper seals. I guess so whoever's on the receiving end knows nothing is missing. The COA I got was not the big, full size certificate, but rather a small black hardcover "book" type of thing with a small embossed and signed black certificate that fits in the compartment of the instrument case. Pretty classy looking, actually.

Some nice reprints of old insturctions on humbuckers and truss rod were part of the hang tags in a wax paper pouch. Oh and alstly, a key to the case since it's not a combination lock. The cable had a rubber jacket instead of a cloth one so I'll jsut set it aside. I prefer to use the tweed cables I have.

The COA I got was not the big' date=' full size certificate, but rather a small black hardcover "book" type of thing with a small embossed and signed black certificate that fits in the compartment of the instrument case. Pretty classy looking, actually.[/quote']

yes, that is the new COA format.

The COA I got was not the big' date=' full size certificate, but rather a small black hardcover "book" type of thing with a small embossed and signed black certificate that fits in the compartment of the instrument case. Pretty classy looking, actually.[/quote']

Mine has the old style one. Bummer.

How do you guys like the ES-339 and how does it compare to your Les Paul? I'd love to get one.

I haven't properly put it through it's paces yet since we haven't rehearsed since before christmas. Some time in the next couple of weeks, I'll take it and my LP Standard and run them head to head. So far though, I like the fact that it's close enough to a Les Paul sound to make it a good all-round guitar, but different sounding enough to make it a little more versatile (better clean sounds).

How do you guys like the ES-339 and how does it compare to your Les Paul?

I'd love to get one.

Thanks

More feedback, less backache =D> I have a Deluxe so the tone's a different bird. I'm not giving up my lp, but the 339 is definitely a useful addition.

yes' date=' that is the new COA format.[/quote']

How new is this COA format? I haven't seen any.

I bought my LP Custom in September 2007 and I got the 8-1/2" x 11" certificate where the serial number was hand written.

Admin, I know my LPC is real, it's from a licensed store and I saw them take it out of the box...but who's to say people can't just photocopy an existing COA (with the numbers covered), make a fake Gibson Custom and then write in the fake Gibson's serial number on the copied COA...presto...you have a Gibson with a COA...who would despute that?

"Of course it's real...here's the certificate to prove it."

Like I said, I like it. It looks classy. I won't post pics of it in the interest of not making life easy for the casually criminal.

Admin, I have a suggestion to further help with counterfeiting the cert's if it's a problem. A vellum cover sheet inside with a watermarked Gibson logo would add even more class to it and perhaps put a holographic decal on the actual cert?

My Custom shop Les Paul came with the Certificate that was the size of a piece of notebook paper and also it came with a small Customer care booklet along with the warranty booklet and hanging tags.That is not cool at all about the music shop removing the paperwork from the Gibsons.Gibson needs to chew on them a bit.O:)

Archived