Gibson Brands Forums

A Floating SG Pickguard...

Argyle

...okay, I hope anyone doesn't think I'm weird. There are a ton of Epiphone guitars with floating pickguards so, why not for an SG? I mean, there are 1970s SGs that have Les Paul pickguards:

1971+gibson+sg+deluxe.jpg

However, they're screwed down to the body.

Any thoughts on this? Of course, I'm thinking that there'd only be the screw near the neck humbucker and the other for the bracket.

The one like in that photo [biggrin]

You may find that those pickguards are screwed flat on flat-top guitars because it's rather hard to bend a pickguard to angle it up off the body. :-k You could, I imagine, do a similar setup, only insert a packer under the bracket screw to lever it up a bit. Hmm..

And just between you and me, I played around with a combination LP and SG pickguard for my Lester, imagine the standard LP pickguard but with a horn to follow the contour of the cutaway. Looks pretty radical, can't afford to do it right now though. :-k

...okay' date=' I hope anyone doesn't think I'm weird. There are a ton of Epiphone guitars with floating pickguards [b']so, why not for an SG?[/b] I mean, there are 1970s SGs that have Les Paul pickguards:

However, they're screwed down to the body.

Any thoughts on this? Of course, I'm thinking that there'd only be the screw near the neck humbucker and the other for the bracket.

For the same reason I don't think it would look good on a strat or tele.

It's not necessary on a non-archtop. And it just doesn't look good to me.

But hey, that's me.

how?

My thoughts exactly. If the pickups aren't in the way of the strings I can't see how the much lower pickguard would be. I mean' date=' it doesn't conflict with them normally, and that edge would barely see any difference in height. [biggrin

Archived