Gibson Brands Forums

Lady Luck Tone = what other speaker tone? Vox/Wharfedale?

Zoki

Hey - just kinda felt like geeking here...

After playing through an AC50 on a backline that had Vox/Wharfedale speakers in it that I loved the curve on.. got me to wondering if the Luck Luck I replaced immediately with my celestion would be any closer to that - also wondering if it's a correct assumption it's the greenback style speaker that I'd be looking for as a replacement if the Lady Luck is no closer..

Thanks!

Hmm - seemed like the AC50's speaker broke up pretty late...

I nearly did give the Lucky Lady away but had started another EVJr and decided to keep it around - have grown to like it a bit more but it's never been pushed much.

So it sounds like greenback is not the answer for that Voxy tone curve - anybody know an affordable replacement speaker that's give me a tone similar to the Vox/Wharfedale???

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst the 46 watt AC30TB was originally fitted with alnico types, these were the 20-25 watt alnico forerunner of the ceramic Greenback e.g. Rola G12S-20 Greenback (Not the AC15's 15 watt G12 Alnico Blue which sound just so wrong in an AC30). The current G12M-25 Greenback is no-where near, it is too woofy, but suits harsh amps. The Lady Luck is wrong too, it lacks the bottom end and rich smooth voice. The current closest to the original to my ear is the 55Hz Heritage G12H-30, excellent Vox voice. Another contender is the 10-in. G10-30 Greenback. I currently have all these speakers except the Blue one. Don't forget to look at Fane and Wharfedale offerings, they usually have better than the cheap OEM types like the Lady Luck.

Actually ended up getting a great deal on a Vox/Wharfedale jefrs - and I have to say I find it a highly underrated speaker in comparison to the stuff I've read about them... I was soundly broken when I got it but so far it seems better suited for my style than the V-30 I've been using.....

Archived