Gibson Brands Forums

Crate Palomino

I have a Crate V50 Palomino. The amp looks great, but I have some cocerns with the sound. IMO it has too much bass/low even with the bass to zero. I have an Epi LP Std with GFS Classic alnico IIs. Can anyone expand why this amp sounds like this. I thought it was my axe for the longest, but its not. I just played it through a Peavey and it sounded like a new guitar.

To be honest, I've heard mixed reviews about those Palominos.

People do seem to get good results, but only after a bit of modding. Have you thought about changing the speaker to begin with?

The V series amps that replaced the Palominos look beautiful, but they are cheaply made and seem to generate very negative reviews on Harmony Central.

The good news is that by playing through the Peavey you've proved how good your Epiphone can be.

Time to trade your amp for something else? If you're looking for a good, cheap tube amp, maybe have a look around for a Fender Blues Junior or similar?

I'm on the other side of the fence on this one. I have a USA made Palomino V32 and it's amazing. Great full clean channel, not as chimey sounding as a Fender, which is too bright for me, and a very Vox-like gain channel. My only niggle is the delay when going from gain to clean channel with the foot pedal. It's a tiny muted time period, but it's there. So I usually play it clean with TS in front or dirty and rolled off. May just be a lemon, or just may not suit your ear. Good luck on your search, and I agree with Leicester, you may be more a Fender type of guy.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I will be looking for a different amp in the very near future. I do not necessarily like a bright amp, but I like clarity in the clean channels. IMO, it makes for a better sound when distorted.

I think the only difference between the V50 and the Palomino V50 was cosmetic. I saw the Robert Randolph band some years ago, and he played his pedal steel through two of those, and had just screaming tone. I also have a good friend who plays through one of the older ones, and his tone is FAR from dark. In fact, it can be rather piercing on ths high end.

I'd start with tubes, frankly, and if it's never been to the amp Dr., take it in and have it gone over. Aside from that, consider a speaker swap. Not sure what's in those in stock form, but I'm guessing that they're not all that, given the price point of those amps when new.

correct me if im wrong but dosnt billy gibbons use the palomino?

He's used just about everything at one time or another. Recently, he's reportedly been recording with a Crate powerblock and a Digitech bad monkey.

Regardless, whether superstar XYZ uses a given amp model or not doesn't necessarily make given amp either awesome or not. If the one you're playing happens to be ill from weak tubes, poor bias setting, or failed components, or if you just plain don't know how to dial it in to suit your style, it's sorta moot.

Ill give it a shot. Its my first tube, and maybe Im doing something wrong. A friend has a nice Fender Strat and he even noticed that the amp gives out too much bass, even when dialing it for a bright tone. Ill find someone that knows how to work on them and try tubes first. Anyone knows what kind or brand of tubes are appropriate for this amp?

A good tech is the best place to buy tubes for it, frankly. Not only will he know what tubes to put in it, but he'll test the existing ones to see if they're actually bad or not, and even more importantly, test the new ones to make sure they're good, set the bias properly, and make sure that the amp is working at it's optimum level, and stand behind his work for a respectable period.

Archived