Gibson Brands Forums

"They're here"

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Spent a lot of months researching and planning and mapped out what I wanted for my 1987 Sheraton. Contacted a guy in Canada Jon Moore, who could do the work I wanted done, gave him my specifications and finally after all those weeks of planning and waiting

"They're here"

My wife popped out to the garage and checked the post and said "You have a parcel"..........[blink][biggrin] [biggrin]

P1010312.jpg

1 set of hand wound pickups alnico II unpolished magnets gaussed by Jon, unpotted, 4 wire, 7.0k neck 7.9 bridge hand made maple spacers, like a carefully made set of Burstbucker 1's, Jon's equivalent pickups are called "Tres Hombres".

1 "Jimmy Page" wired 50's 335 harness with 4 pull/push CTS pots, 2 vitamin T caps, Switchcraft switch and jack.

1 50's 335 harness with 4 CTS pots, 2 vitamin T caps, Switchcraft switch and jack.

So now the fun begins....

[blink][biggrin]

P1010312.jpg

1 set of hand wound pickups alnico II unpolished magnets gaussed by Jon' date=' unpotted, 4 wire, 7.0k neck 7.9 bridge hand made maple spacers, like a carefully made set of Burstbucker 1's, Jon's equivalent pickups are called "Tres Hombres".

1 "Jimmy Page" wired 50's 335 harness with 4 pull/push CTS pots, 2 vitamin T caps, Switchcraft switch and jack.

[/quote']

Looks good. Here's the schemo on Gibson Jimmy Page.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/pagewiring.gif

Joseph, that looks sweet. What fun that is. The modding itch is infectious - and hopefully it will be cheaper than the guitar acquisition habit! I've just tapped out my acquisition budget for about a year or so, but modding is still in the summer plans, on the Wilshire for sure and maybe a heavy upgrade to the ol' Valve Junior as well. Congratulations and post pics (and maybe even a sound clip) when she's up and running. BTW, that video of you playing the Levin in another post was great, sounds wonderful.

Is there such a thing as "Happy New Wiring Harness and Pickups Day" HNWHPD?

Joseph' date=' that looks sweet. What fun that is. The modding itch is infectious - [b']and hopefully it will be cheaper than the guitar acquisition habit![/b] I've just tapped out my acquisition budget for about a year or so, but modding is still in the summer plans, on the Wilshire for sure and maybe a heavy upgrade to the ol' Valve Junior as well. Congratulations and post pics (and maybe even a sound clip) when she's up and running. BTW, that video of you playing the Levin in another post was great, sounds wonderful.

Is there such a thing as "Happy New Wiring Harness and Pickups Day" HNWHPD?

Thanks Teegar you know the power of research....

two Burstbucker pickups $256 My handwound Jon Moore pickups $200

two mojotone harnesses $180 My two harnesses $150

So I have carefully crafted pickups and electrics for my beloved E-by-G and saved $86 into the bargain...[biggrin]

PS thank you for your remarks about my "feeble fumblings" on the Levin. I promise once I have everything set up I will plug into my Pacemaker (very apt given my age [blink] ) put a low blues backing track on and run up and down the blues scale on the various settings. So you can get a feel of what the E-by-G is up to modified...

here is what I am trying to do......

here are some of the variations I will be able to get with the new harness and pickups

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

so imagine the above but on a Sheraton with "Burstbuckers" "Tres Hombres"

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

And here are a set of Burstbuckers out of phase on a Les Paul...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

That is what I am after now we will have to see....

When's the Day?!?

I think "we've" waited long enough!!!

[biggrin]

Hi Scratch I was half thinking of doing the soldering and fitting myself after doing my Joe Pass but now I have the harness in front of me it is not a job for the likes of me.

The guy I bought my Epiphone Pacemaker amp from is a working musician and it is great he is a Beatles fan and loves Liverpool, so he has befriended me, and the upshot is he has great contacts, and one is the best Luthier in Stockholm....

He spoke to him and had a word, and I have his number so "depending on price" I want him to do it and cut me a bone nut and set the guitar up spot on.

All depends on his schedule and availability....

I plan to phone him this afternoon when kids are sleeping....

You've waited long enough!!!!!...how do you think I feel!!!!....this is a full international plan being played out here...Canadian artisans make parts for Swedish Korean made guitars......all on a reasonable budget.....I am trying my best man.....Old Scratch can be very demanding....I think you want me to bring this finished Sheraton to the Crossroads for when we sign that deal....

You know' date=' according to the "legend", at the crossroads one must hand over ones guitar to good ol' Scratch. He then plays it for a while and returns it to the owner.

I'm not sure he would give this guitar back...

[biggrin

Right I will bring my Samick SG.....(best $137 I have ever spent, cracking little guitar) and you can have that and a chickens foot....but your not getting my E-by-G....[bored]

Aww come one Joe you can do it. Maybe not the nut' date=' but I got faith you can get that harness and pups in the EBG![/quote']

ST Thanks for the vote of confidence man....but I have done a lot of varied and interesting things in my life, but I have never soldered, and through respect for what Jon Moore has put together for me if I took a soldering iron to those pots, I would probably frazzle them...

If it was the other harness, (which I am keeping for another project of mine) and it was just two wire to those big CTS pots I probably would have a go...but I do not want to tackle those pull push posts two fiddly by half.

I am contacting the Luthier tonight (now the wife is home to take the 2 Monsters)....the guy I am contacting is the best there is over here from all account, he builds guitars as well...

If he prices me out, then I have to go to plan me B.....me....I don't want to do that with this wiring...when I play it I want no doubts....I want to now it is as right as it can be....

anyway ST isn't the message I am sending SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TECH you should be proud of me fella....

Archived