Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Electronics Upgrades

rjames1973

Hey Everyone,

I don't post very much, but have a question I'm sure many of you could answer. I own an Epi Les Paul Standard and a brand new black Epi Dot (my favorite!). I've been thinking about doing a project with these guitars to get them as close to their Gibson counterparts as possible sound wise. I was considering replacing the pickups, but a friend who plays guitar told me that I might just try upgrading the electronics in both guitars (i.e., pots, switches, wires, etc.) I've read that the electronics in the Epis are not that great, and that some folks have simply upgraded the electronics to great effect. Has anyone else done this with their Epis? If this is something you all recommend, is there a specific kit you would recommend? I know some electronics kits even come with pickups.

Last weekend I installed the 335 Prewired Assembly from Mojo Musical Supply on my 09 Dot. It's like I bought a new guitar! More presence, the pots are way more useful, the volume mod helps since I don't gig and play at neighbor friendly levels. I was thinking about changing out the pickups but the Epi 57 Classics in the Dot sound great with the new electrics , no need to change them in my opinion.

Here is the link:

http://www.mojotone.com/Guitar-Parts/Prewired-for-Gibson-Style-Guitars/ES-335-3-Way-Prewired-Assembly_2

If you have some minor soldering skills and aren't afraid to do some very minor surgery (opening up the holes in the body for the new pots), this is a relatively quick upgrade. Took me about an hour and a half with several family type interruptions.

I highly recommend this mod. I loved my Dot but now I really love my Dot[cool]

jrc

I changed everything on mine and it made a huge difference. You might try just the pots, switches, wiring, etc. but I'd also recommend the pickups as well. That said, there's a guy on the Gretsch forum who just got a Dot, changed the pickups only and he's totally stoked. Either way, it's going to make a big difference in the sound, tone, etc. As you implied, it's a really good guitar stock, but modded, it's just *****in'

The amazing thing for me is how the mudiness went away. The p'ups sounded real good with the tone turned up, but at about half way turned down it muddy up pretty much. Now, the when i turn down the town it warms the tone really nice but it stays clear without the dullness of before.

Have you A/Bd the Epi p'ups with Gibsons? I mentioned in another thread that the Epi stock pickups compare really well with the Gibbys on my instructores 94 Custom Shop ES335. Not an exact match - the Gibsons are a touch warmer/rounder, but it's not enough to make me want new p'ups.

jrc

some are quite spendy compared with me.

Plus I do custom changes at no charge.

I'm not supposed to sell in here, but life is tough and I think I should be forgiven but if I'm not I'm sorry Duane don't kick me out I was just mentioning it beg pardon me-a culprit!

There are a couple of things one can do to improve the epi elec. and some of those things are really dependent on what you personally want.

the main thing is upgrading the pots to full size..

usually CTS

then using audio taper for vol.

and linear taper for tone.

Then adding treble bleed.. two ways .. one a capacitor alone, the other is a resistor and capacitor together.

then there's the tone caps..

and again you can modify the values . some even use two different caps for neck and bridge..and then there's brands and how they sound.

Premier guitar has a dirk whacker capacitor article you should check out.

I like spragues myself. because they hit a little quicker to my ear and have a tone I like.

You can vary pot values, too. some claim the gibson 300K pots they used to use for a while were a mistake. others swear by them.

the switch on an epi doesn't always need to be changed. IF you know how to fix 'em they can last many years.

but they do make noise and have to be adjusted.

Also it's typical to replace the switch and output jack all at the same time with the rest.. the reasoning being that all new stuff means NO maintenance issues for a long long time, as well as improved performance.

shorter wire runs better wire, better sheilding. these are all things that help in different areas and that's what I try to do, get the most out of the change so you arent wasting your money and time.

and theres's more. I put in a ground interrupt cap and res. so if you ever get high voltage the circuit breaks instead of zapping you into rock n roll heaven.

And there's how it's wired.. vintage gibsons wire the caps differently. and modern wiring lets you have greater control.

I combine the ideas so that you get the most out of your puts, and still have the modern control.

Wherever you go, and I don't mnd where you go one dang bit, honestly.. just be sure to talk it all out. ask around..

Get a good clear idea in your mind of what you want and then spend your money.

And always ask in here these are good guys with good smarts!

Thanks for the replies on this topic, everyone! Now that I posted this and read the responses -- especially from Twang (no offense) -- I'm a little more confused (and intimidated) about my options than before. I know nothing about guitar electronics. I'll definitely consider what each of you has suggested, but I'm probably going to take my Epis to my guitar tech. I'll keep everyone posted on what I decide to do. Thanks again for the help!

hi there , i fitted a kit on tuesday , pots, switch , output and wiring to 50's type gibson . it took me about an hour or so to do and it's like a new guitar [confused] , the sound has cleaned up and things happen now when you turn the tone and volume knobs [blink] , next in line is my sg400 . i say do it asap , you will not be disapointed by the outcome [biggrin]

hi there ' date=' i fitted a kit on tuesday , pots, switch , output and wiring to 50's type gibson . it took me about an hour or so to do and it's like a new guitar [cool'] , the sound has cleaned up and things happen now when you turn the tone and volume knobs :) , next in line is my sg400 . i say do it asap , you will not be disapointed by the outcome :)

Alan, have you got a UK link to where you got the your wiring kit from?

I googled for it last night, but it was mostly US sites that came up - mind you, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

Looking at the posts on this topic today makes me think that this is a 'Must Do' mod

I bought a harness assembly, TOM bridge, tailpiece, and tusq nut from TWANG, then locally acquired a set of SD Antiquities pups. Since I changed out everything at once, I'm unsure which component had more tonal effect on the whole, but my Sherri is now a totally different instrument than before, and I love it!

i meant to say if you want to drop over with your lp you can compare them :)

You're on!

Not sure of time scale at the moment - granddaughter broke her arm last night (check my post in the lounge), but it'd be great to compare the 'before & after'.

Looking forward to trying my LP thru your Marshall too.

Archived